Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Vehicle delivery and run-in

Hi All,
Came back from a drive from Bangalore to Pondicherry and back via the GQ road. A convoy of Maruti Swifts passed my Bolero and it was sure a sight seeing 12 of them in a row, all new and black in color.

Later it occured to me, I was doing about 100 kmph at that time and to pass me like that, they would have to be doing a pretty good speed too. Considering the vehicles, with no number plates and all draped in polythene covers, they were on the way to some dealer probably.

Now, when buying a new vehicle, we generally take so much care to ensure a proper run-in, I have done that twice and can well relate to the feeling and restrictions that are meticulously followed, do not cross 40/60, no constant climbing and so on.

Just wondering how much that care is worth, the delivery people might have as well run the vehicle over extended periods at high speeds already as it seemed to me and a disconnected odo is always a possibility.

I am not saying that run-in on the new owner's part is not necessary, I myself will definitely do a run-in if acquiring a new vehicle anyday. Just sharing my experience so that people can be careful and probably there would be some suggestions as to the effects to look for apart from the odo reading to determine that a new vehicle is indeed new.

Regards.
Old 11th November 2007, 17:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Believe you me, the dealership / company staff completely trash a new car. A new car is special for us; for them its just another day at work. As much as I hate to see this, there is only little that one can do. Most manufacturers do truck the car upto the dealership yard, while some dealerships offer the option of picking the car up straight from their warehouse.

Another common malpractice is offering delivery cars to test-drive potentials. Best to pick the car up straight from the yard, or immediately upon it reaching the showroom.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best to pick the car up straight from the yard, or immediately upon it reaching the showroom.
But then you miss Pre Delivery Check.
Old 11th November 2007, 20:20   #4
BHPian

worst

Hi folks, Saw couple of new SX4s being unloaded from those long carrier trucks on ORR at Pratham motors, and guess what all cars were well soaked in mud, there was thick coat of dust like what happens when you keep car in open untouched for weeks.

So I guess it won't help even if you get it right from the yard.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 11th November 2007 at 20:21.
Old 11th November 2007, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

All cars, even if transported by truck, look yucky when they reach the yard, reason being the dust they collect on the way. Even when they are stored in the open yard, they collect more dust and grime.
Only when they are delivered, they are washed spick and span, and hopefully subjected to PDI.
But transporting them by road is a crime nowadays, given the attitude of the drivers as brought out in the above posts. It is better to pick a car that has been transported by truck to avoid such negligence on the part of the dealer or manufacturer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks