Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 17:30   #1
BHPian

Downtown Hyundai - Acting Suspiciously

Im planning to buy an i10 Sportz from Downtown Hyundai motors in baroda.

At first things were going well and i decided to book the car on the 9th of October. Two of their salesmen visite my house and i talked to them about the booking condititons, if the money is refundable or not etc. They tell me that its 100% refundable if you dont take finance. Fine. Then as soon as im about to hand them the cheque, one of them tells me that 1800 is cancellation charge and not refundable. Irritated at them for lying to me, i took back the cheque and sent them back.

A week later, we decided visited the showroom again to look at a car before it is allotted to us and to book it if everything's okay. The car was good, no obvious scratches or defects but the dust had gone into the tiny gaps and spaces. Curious about the time for which the car had been lying around in the stock yard and following the usual TBHP practice of making sure im not being sold a test mule, i asked them about the mfg date. At first the fellow tells me that its a 2008 manufactured unit and thats all they know. However i still insisted on seeing the exact month of mfg and ask them to show me the invoice, challan or book whichever has the date.
Then one of the sales person takes down the chassis no etc. from the sticker on the car and writes it down in a book. Then he shows it to me and tries to feed me some nonsense about how there is no way to figure out the mfg month of a car and bluntly refuses to show me any invoice/challan.

I checked the mfg date for the battery (Jul 08) and tyres (june 2008) so the car is probably not more than 2 months old. However their suspicious behaviour gives me the feeling they are trying to hide something and has turned me off. But there's only one Hyundai dealer here so i have no options. please suggest something.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

you can check the manufacturing date yourself by using the VIN numer which you woudl tyopically find on the rear quarter glass of left side of the car. There are many site which can decode the VIN number for you , just google around a bit and you will find it . The link is also there somewhere oin TBHP.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) In your case, ask any other i10 owner how to locate the date of manufacture ( i.e. month and year ). Mostly they are located on the car itself. This will give you the details.

2) If the salesperson is not ready to show this to you or tell the truth, simply call the higher authority and tell him to solve the mystery.

3) Recently there have been some complaints about Downtown Hyundai. If they continue to act fishy and you want Hyundai only, then try getting the car from Ahmedabad.

4) If possible visit the Ahmedabad dealerships and try to see whether they are equally open.

5) Just for reference about Ahmedabad dealerships:

a) Concept Hyundai New York Complex, Opp Ranjit Petroleum, Bodak Dev, Sarkhej, Gandhinagar Highway
Pin:380052 Ahmedabad
Phone No. 079 26853861-4,26853844,26850846

b) Planet Hyundai PLANET HOUSE, RADHE CIRCLE, NR ANUPAM CINEMA,MANINAGAR
Pin:380001 Ahmedabad
Phone No. 079 55234050

c) Sharma Hyundai Florence Near Mount Carmel Junctio, Ashram Road Ahmedabad
Pin:380001 Ahmedabad
Phone No. 079 26587885-86, 30912209

EDIT : You can visit Car Scanner in Vadodara that services the car i.e. it is Authorized Service Center for Hyundai cars ( As Far As I Know ) and ask them how to check the manufacturing date on i10.
Car Scanner Opp. UCO Bank
Pin:390016 Vadodara
Phone No. 265 2285050/5532570

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th October 2008 at 17:48.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:51   #4
BHPian

thanks aaggoswami. I'll try the things you said.

Regarding the VIN number, i found a few sites that decode it but will they work for India ?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2008 at 18:18. Reason: No need to quote the entire large post. Thanks.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:00   #5
BHPian

are u looking at the i10 kappa ? If yes u know for sure that the car is not old as the irde as the kappa was launched recently but still i would suggest you to check out with the VIN.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post

Regarding the VIN number, i found a few sites that decode it but will they work for India ?
I am not sure. But can you post a link here about the site you know ? Will be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
are u looking at the i10 kappa ?
i10 Sprotz is available with 1.2 ltr engine only.
i10 1.1 is available in two variants, D-lite and Era.
i10 1.2 is available in Magna, sportz, Asta.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:14   #7
BHPian

If you think that the car is not new,the best thing would be to avoid the piece.either you choose some other colour/piece or change the dealer.

regarding the info. on manufacturing year here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...scorpio-3.html
Old 21st October 2008, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure. But can you post a link here about the site you know ? Will be helpful.
Hyundai VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
If you think that the car is not new,the best thing would be to avoid the piece.either you choose some other colour/piece or change the dealer.

regarding the info. on manufacturing year here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...scorpio-3.html
Already checked that thread before but no specific info on hyundai VIN there.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Aditya Munshi,

I would implement Sam Walton's statement if I were in your place - the statement is - THERE IS ONLY ONE BOSS, THE CUSTOMER. AND HE CAN FIRE EVERYBODY IN THE COMPANY FROM THE CHAIRMAN ON DOWN, SIMPLY BY SPENDING HIS MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I know. Buying a new car in India is an ordeal in itself. Just move away. Your call Sir,

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st October 2008, 22:29   #10
BHPian

i think the best would be to try some other dealer,you should not have a thinking in mind that you were supplied a defective piece.
do a survey on phone to get a good deal,maybe something close to what you are getting from this dealer.paying 1-2k more is much better,rather than thinking about the car model/defect. etc
Old 21st October 2008, 22:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think the best would be to try some other dealer,you should not have a thinking in mind that you were supplied a defective piece.

In Vadodara/Baroda ( both of them are same just like Mumbai and Bombay ), there is only one Hyundai dealer and it is Downtown Hyundai. And this is also one of the reason why he has of late started acting in a rather weird manner.
Around 6 months ago on of our family friends bought Accent and they do admit to odd behavior from dealer. And that is why I recommed him to try out buying car from Ahmedabad.

EDIT : @adityamunshi:
Thanks for putting up the link.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st October 2008 at 22:41.
Old 21st October 2008, 22:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
In Vadodara/Baroda ( both of them are same just like Mumbai and Bombay ), there is only one Hyundai dealer and it is Downtown Hyundai. And this is also one of the reason why he has of late started acting in a rather weird manner.
Around 6 months ago on of our family friends bought Accent and they do admit to odd behavior from dealer. And that is why I recommed him to try out buying car from Ahmedabad.
monopoly i guess!!but i think ahemdabad would be having a few dealers,so there should not be any problem.

@ADITYAMUNSHI:is there any Rs 1800. charge for canceling the booking,or the salesman didnt told you the truth.?

ot:how far is ahemdabad from baroda?
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

monopoly i guess!!but i think ahemdabad would be having a few dealers,so there should not be any problem.
May be Yes, or rather mostly Yes. In the reply # 3 in this thread, I have given all the information about Ahmedabad dealers along with phone numbers.

Quote:

ot:how far is ahemdabad from baroda?
Approximately 110 ~ 120 kms. We also have fantastic expresshighway that can save time, so visiting those dealers is highly recommended.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:36   #14
BHPian

Found this : Hyundai Coupe VIN Details

According to this, only the mfg year in included into the VIN. How do i find the exact Mfg month ?
Old 27th October 2008, 19:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

baroda is much bigger city than trivendrum or kozhikode or cochin ,I guess.here ,in my small town of muvattupuzha(40kms from cochin) ,we got popular hyundai dealership and MGF Hyundai showroom(and obv. sales) and auth. service station.

I guess @adityamunshi - why not travel to a bigger city near to have the deal.it is recommended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks