Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 20:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Arya Honda v. Apex Honda | Honda Manual v. Auto Civic

18 July 2009

1. Arya Honda v. Apex Honda

I'm in the market for a civic A/T (facelift or the outgoing model) in Mumbai.

The paramount concern however is quality after sales service. Any thoughts on the quality of A.S.S. between Arya Honda and Apex Honda? Any other suggestions are also welcome but the dealers should not be beyond Andheri in the west and Chembur in the East. Mid town works as well.

2. Manual v. Automatic

Some people have informed me that India's potholed roads can have an adverse impact on automatic transmissions. Is there any truth to this? I'm quite keen on the convenience of the auto tranny and this is new info to me. Is there any reason (other than FE perhaps) that should make me think more seriously about the Manual instead of the Auto?

Thanks
Old 18th July 2009, 23:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
18 July 2009

The paramount concern however is quality after sales service. Any thoughts on the quality of A.S.S. between Arya Honda and Apex Honda? Any other suggestions are also welcome but the dealers should not be beyond Andheri in the west and Chembur in the East. Mid town works as well.

2. Manual v. Automatic

Some people have informed me that India's potholed roads can have an adverse impact on automatic transmissions. Is there any truth to this? I'm quite keen on the convenience of the auto tranny and this is new info to me. Is there any reason (other than FE perhaps) that should make me think more seriously about the Manual instead of the Auto?

Thanks
can't help you in the 1st regard. Mumbai Members would be able to answer better.

The 2nd one. I don't think or remember reading or listening from any A/T user that potholes has any impact. The fun factor of a Manual is the 2nd reason and the lower price is the 3rd one. All the best with the purchase. I think the A/T should be good as you can get a semi manual in the form of the Paddle Shifters.
Old 19th July 2009, 01:03   #3
BHPian

Axe,

I can vouch for the service quality for Arya, havent had the opportunity to test out Apex yet. But im extremely happy with Arya.

As far as the manual v/s auto goes, in addition to the known FE, manual will also fetch you a better resale value (autos are slow moving in the second hand market) and the extra bit you fork out for buying an auto compared to the manual.

Having said that - I've been driving an auto for the last 2-3 years now and any manual does not come close to the convenience of an auto especially in a city like Mumbai.

I would put my money on the auto - definitely.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why would potholes cause problems for an autobox?

Absolute rubbish.

I have an auto Civic and the convenience afforded by it when commuting in peak hour traffic is priceless. If the M/T's lack of low end torque puts you off, the A/T is the car for you.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Why would potholes cause problems for an autobox?

Absolute rubbish.

I have an auto Civic and the convenience afforded by it when commuting in peak hour traffic is priceless. If the M/T's lack of low end torque puts you off, the A/T is the car for you.
Thank you ImmortalZ. That was my feeling as well and was really surprised when I heard this pothole info recently. I am leaning more and more towards the Civic (Auto in particular). Would have considered the Altis Auto as well but the 4 speed factor put me off. Plus, although ground clearance is an issue with Civic, I understand that the high speed behavious of the Civic is much better than the Altis. That's an important factor for me too. Perhaps I can touch base with you again before finally putting in the down payment, which should happen in the next 4 - 6 weeks. Trying to buy at the time when the facelift launches so I can weigh the options of both the outgoing model and the facelift. Was hoping the facelift may have slightly improved ground clearance.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

thanks everyone for the quick fire responses.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ImmortalZ. That was my feeling as well and was really surprised when I heard this pothole info recently. I am leaning more and more towards the Civic (Auto in particular). Would have considered the Altis Auto as well but the 4 speed factor put me off. Plus, although ground clearance is an issue with Civic, I understand that the high speed behavious of the Civic is much better than the Altis. That's an important factor for me too. Perhaps I can touch base with you again before finally putting in the down payment, which should happen in the next 4 - 6 weeks. Trying to buy at the time when the facelift launches so I can weigh the options of both the outgoing model and the facelift. Was hoping the facelift may have slightly improved ground clearance.
Facelift is minimal with some tail lamp changes, et all. Dont know about GC. I hope not
Old 19th July 2009, 20:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, I prefer the current tail lamps. The octa-whatever shape they are going to looks wonky. The good things are that they changed the front bumpers to the Type-R ones and in the US, they are giving a lot more kit as standard at the same price.

Considering their strategies and policies in India, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

Laluks - why would you hope GC is not increased? Isn't that what we all want from civic - better GC?

Immortalz - I agree on what you're saying on the facelift. I also prefer the existing fog lamp shape. The new one seems to have round fogs like the new Altis which I don't like as much.

Knowing Honda, I expect them to give rubbish touch ups and implement another price hike for that - the additional bummer being the existing discount of free insurance also temporarily disappearing. In all that may make the real terms price hike as much as 60 - 75 K (just my gut feel), making the outgoing model at the point of launch the logical choice.

We'll all know in the next 4 - 8 weeks I suppose.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:09   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've sent my Vtec to Arya for a throttle-body job once. Their diagnosis of the problem, turnaround time and charges were spot on. However, I must add, my comfort level with Linkway Honda is higher. They've been looking after the scheduled maintenance work of my Vtec for 6 years now. No complaints, service is good (par for the job).

Why don't you give Linkway a try? They do have pickup / dropoff facilities, thus the workshop's location should not count.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:26   #11
BHPian

I quite look the look of the updated one, and the rear tail lights (though not shown in the pic) look better than the current ones.

And based on history - i am sure there will be some interior upgrades as well. If you plan to buy one - i would say spend another 50K more and buy the updated version.

Source: :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Attached Thumbnails
Arya Honda v. Apex Honda | Honda Manual v. Auto Civic-civicnew.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 16:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
18 July 2009

2. Manual v. Automatic

Thanks
1. I bought my Honda City from Apex Honda. Sales was ok, as they are new into Honda sales they are aggressive and ready to offer discounts. But as a matter of fact, there is difference in committing and delivering. I was promised free accessories (Floor Mats, Teflon and Mud Flaps). I did get them but they were all non-genuine products. None of them Honda genuine accessory. Till date I believe there was no Teflon done to the car, it may have been a simple wax polish I guess, car's shine went away in couple of days. When are complained, as usual post sales excuses. Personally I hate dealers who dont even look back at customers once car is sold.

Also I had a pathetic time while taking delivery from them, my car was not fitted with any accessory and not even washed when I reached there. Even though I had commited date and time a week ahead. I would not recommend if you looking for a peacfull deal, however if you do get some goodies then my advice would be, be careful when dealing with them, be a little rigid with your demands, they will succumb. Also I found other accessories at Apex to be on a higher side. I have switched to Linkway for service, I find them much more professional as compared to Apex. Did not go for Arya as they wanted entire amount at the time of booking. I thought that was a little too much!

Another point I would like to add. Do insist on Michelin tyres, as Honda gives that as a choice, unless you planning to upgrade to higher profile. Do ask for discount on Insurance, if they do not give then get it done directly from company, I saved Rs.9800 on my city, you can make more

2. Never heard anything such before.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2009 at 14:51. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other word softwares
Old 21st July 2009, 07:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Laluks - why would you hope GC is not increased? Isn't that what we all want from civic - better GC?
GC is unfortunately not a show stopper as portrayed to be in the forum, but the longer wheel base can be at some humps, but there is always a way to get over. Moreover it has a soft suspension which helps quite a lot to ease out undulations. having said that dont jump at me like a fanatic, its with experience.

In my years of ownership with it, initially I was completely mind set by the enormous negatives told about GC, but in real practice it was almost like my previous Esteem, and the same amount of safe driving takes civic also along broken tarmacs and humps. I dont know why we are hell bent upon portraying the perception. It needs care - I believe every car owner cares while jumping over a pothole or hump equally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks