Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 01:55   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Delivery Nonsense - TATA Indica Vista Aqua 1.4 TDI

Dealer = Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi, Mumbai
Date = 13 August 2009

I had booked a Vista with Concorde on 31st July 2009. Delivery date promised was 8 Aug 09. Dealer delayed the delivery to 13 Aug 09. The car was invoiced on 26 June 09 by the dealer. At time of delivery, I asked him for the invoice date and he said it was in July - 2 days after my booking. It was only when i asked him for a copy of the invoice that he coolly mentioned that the car was invoiced on 26 June. He said that the car was delivered at the Concorde godown by Telco on 10 July 2009 (thats 15 days)!

When i was finally there to see the car, i was appalled at the many faults i found in a brand new car. Just 31 days ago i picked my New Laura from AutoBahn (adjacent to Concorde) and that was so smooth! While here, i found all this:

1. Though the car looked pretty after all the cleaning, i noticed 4 places on the car where paint had come off due to abrasion. At 2 places i found the culprit, screw-heads.

2. Under the hood, i noticed two bolts completely rusted. Plus, the car looked clean at only the places possible to humanly reach. The other places (nooks/cervices/corners/fissures) where the hand couldn't reach were dirty.

3. The reverse gear lamps (both) were not working.

4. The left ORVM was scratched heavily at the outside edge.

5. The rear seat-belts were very loose and took unreasonably long to recoil.

6. The beat-it-all. I asked the sales guy about the distance from storage godown (Bhiwandi) to their showroom (Prabhadevi). He replied 40-45 kms. The same places were applicable to the Laura and the odometer read 63 kms for that. But for the Vista, the odometer read 368 kms!!

On seeing #6, i immediately refused to take delivery. He said that its a fault and the car has not run anymore than Bhiwandi -> Prabhadevi. I asked him, do you think it is possible for a new car to have rusted bolts, paint scraped off, damaged mirrors and a faulty display!? He just shrugged and said he'll get it all fixed and give me the car in two days. I told him to give me another car as i wasn't interested in this particular car. He flatly refused saying the car was already registered in my name. I am in no way going to take that same car. What do you think i should do in such a situation?
Advice welcome
Old 14th August 2009, 06:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

In the first place you are right in refusing to take delivery.

Speculation: Perhaps it did duty of demo car before this. Can you chekc this by asking for invoice copy of Tata? Match engine/chassis id's.

Two: Appear willing but ask them to give in writing their acceptance of faults and that they will rectify before delivery / first service. And also the odo reading should be mentioned somewhere.

Three: With this in hand threaten them consumer court / media / TBHP etc.

Four: Raise stink

I know arm chair advise all this but without your acceptance and signatures how could they register in your name? Partial blame lies in us when in our hurry and/or anxiety we sign papers proffered without understanding implications.

AND if you really did not sign then it is also matter of criminal complaints under IPC420 etc. for forgery and impersonation.
Old 14th August 2009, 07:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
In the first place you are right in refusing to take delivery.

Speculation: Perhaps it did duty of demo car before this. Can you chekc this by asking for invoice copy of Tata? Match engine/chassis id's.

Two: Appear willing but ask them to give in writing their acceptance of faults and that they will rectify before delivery / first service. And also the odo reading should be mentioned somewhere.

Three: With this in hand threaten them consumer court / media / TBHP etc.

Four: Raise stink

I know arm chair advise all this but without your acceptance and signatures how could they register in your name? Partial blame lies in us when in our hurry and/or anxiety we sign papers proffered without understanding implications.

AND if you really did not sign then it is also matter of criminal complaints under IPC420 etc. for forgery and impersonation.
+1 to everything said above. Concorde all over is known for thesekind of things and unless you raise stink, they are not going to do anything.

All the best
Old 14th August 2009, 07:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Reach Us

and give the worst ratings in every feedback form
Old 14th August 2009, 08:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was it a deal with dealer that he will register the car in your name ?

Going to court media is of no use. If the car is registered in your name with your consent, Tata motor can only help you. When was the car registered ?

All depends on the issue of registration.

However, I would still suggest talking with higher management of the dealership.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:49   #6
BHPian

If you signed the papers for regn and the car is in your name, there is nothing much that can be done now. Check the data or manufacture using the VIN number, you will find it for vista if you search around forums.
Always always always do a PDI before you sign papers. This is not just with tata, but any manufacturer/dealer.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:10   #7

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!
The registration is MH 12 and is in my dad's company's name. He DID sign the registration papers a while ago as we needed the car asap, as it was to be given to an employee. I wasn't supposed to go take delivery but was coincidentally in that part of town that time, so just got lucky and noticed all this crap. Glad that the idea of him getting the car to our office was tabled.
But frankly, just because we signed the reg papers, it does not mean he can make donuts with my new car and give it to me during 'delivery'.
Just because we signed reg papers, it gives him no liberty to give me a not-so-new car after taking full payment for a new car.
I mean, 368 kms is 9 times the distance from Bhiwandi to Prabhadevi!
I'll be speaking to dealer's higher management today. Will keep this updated.
Thanks again!
Old 14th August 2009, 12:36   #8

Guys, the chassis # for this particular car is MAT6085219PF54641.
Engine # 475IDT14FQZP65182.
Can u help me decode the month and year of manufacture?
Date of invoice = 26.06.2009
Old 14th August 2009, 13:12   #9

Hey guys, all issues sorted with the dealer.
Thanks a lot for all the help.

MODS - please close/delete this thread.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:28   #10
BHPian

Hi Akki_5,

Please throw some more light as to how did you resolve this issue. This will help others when they buy.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Akki_5,

Please do write about your experience on the resolution. This would clarify the matter as well as may give a good point or two in favor of the dealer.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

well, that was fast.
Can we have some details of the resolution?
Old 14th August 2009, 14:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Could you please share the deatils of the resolution as posted by others, might be useful to other buyers.
Old 15th August 2009, 15:19   #14

Well, at first, i was unaware that the car was registered with our Pune address and that everything regarding the registration process was completed. Surprisingly, even the sales guy could not tell me that the car had physical inspection done at Pune RTO which justifies the excess reading on odometer. After talking to his seniors, he called up the next day and told me about all this.

The reverse gear light's bulbs were not fitted properly!
The paint scraped off at multiple places wasn't explained but he offered to get it fixed.
The rusted bolts under the hood were replaced.
Left ORVM was replaced.
The rear seat-belts were found to be OK (?).

Anyways, the dealer requested us to take the same car and my dad obliged. Dad wasn't keen on waiting for another car as he had already told the manager that his car was coming on 8th!

So all's well that ends well.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Most Viewed