Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:17   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Chowgule Motors, Pune: A good MASS experience

I would like to narrate my pleasant experience with Chowgule Motors, Katraj, Pune, a Maruti Authorised Service Station that I had occasion to deal with recently. MASSes are a dime a dozen but funnily enough they all seem to come with their peculiar quirks. My earlier experience with myCar at Wakad was not unpleasant, but I ended up feeling little robbed(more on that later).

My association with Chowgule started earlier this year when someone from their insurance department called up to renew my policy (I had inherited it along with the car from its prevoius owner). I was reluctant to do it over the phone, but the gent spoke very well and convinced me patiently, so I went ahead. To sweeten the deal, he gave me 2 service coupons and one pick-up drop coupon (Katraj is on the extreme end of Pune, on the NH4 to Satara).

My 50,000 km service was due in October, but being the lazy sod I am, I had pretty much decided against giving the car to a new service station way across town when myCar was just across the corner from my office. But when going through the service records (meticulously maintained, par for the course for a TBHPian ) I noticed that my 40K servicing has set me back a neat 6,800. I hadn't given it much thought at the time since I was really excited about a road trip I had planned to Goa and wanted the car to be shipshape before taking off. But now that I looked at some of the items they seemed unnecessary and ridiculously exensive. There was "engine oil additive" for some 600 odd, "gear oil additive" for 800+ and "car care" (don't even know what that is!) for 125 or so. Plus they had insisted on wheel balancing and alignment which set me back another 600 or so. Thankfully I hadn't given in to their badgering and changed the clutch- that would have added a cool 5K or so to my bill!

Hold on, I said- let me at least look at other options here. So I called up Chowgule and spoke to their receptionist who explained to me that for a pickup/drop I needed to book a slot, and the earliest available was 13 days away. Fair enough I said, but I wanted to talk to a service advisor about what all I could expect in a 50K service. She cheerfully transferred me to a knowledgeable-sounding guy who told me, not much just perhaps a regular paid service and engine oil change. I told him I didn't want my (new) wheels touched nor ANY additives put in, to which he promptly replied that they never do that unless a customer specifically asks for it. Must confess I was thrilled and asked to be transferred back to the pick-up/drop lady and book my slot!

Cut a long story short, they did a service and the bill came to about 1400 (1895 less the discount coupon). The pick-up and drop was done very professionally as well and the car was looking and feeling good. The next day I discovered a broken AC vent that I was pretty sure was intact when I had sent the car in for servicing, so called the SA on his mobile. He told me that usually AC vents were not touched during servicing but I insisted that it had been OK and had probably broken during cleaning the interior. He didn't dispute this and pencilled me in for a scheduled visit (to my home) by a service tech. I hung up a little skeptical and figured I'd probably have to get the job done sometime in future, if ever! But within 24 hours, he called me back and asked if he could come visit me at home. I happily agreed and he came exactly on time, fixed the vent (it had slipped out of its louvre lock) and went on his way leaving behind a happy customer!
I would highly recommend Chowgule for their professional and personalised service. Most MASS including myCar are competent and professional, but tend to be cold and mechanical, and ask you to make unnecessary changes. The human touch made a big difference!
Old 26th October 2010, 15:29   #2
BHPian

good for you

great that you had such a good MASS experience and even better that you put it in writing for prosperity cause I wonder what you are going to do about the huge distance now that your one free coupon of pickup drop is finished? Honestly, I find most MASS in Pune city exactly like you described myCar which is why I changed loyalties to a local mechanic at Koregaon Park. One I know I can trust, gives me a personal touch and won't overcharge me for mundane items.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Re: Chowgule Motors, Pune: A good MASS experience

I, too, had a very good experience at Chowgule - just today.

In close to 8 years of ownership of Wagon R, I hesitated to change the service station from one in Kondhwa. After a horrifying experience there (a post on which was rejected by moderators), I had no option but to switch.

It was amply pleasant experience and worth the extra distance all the way to Katraj. (They offer a free shuttle service up to certain point in the city.)

Several noises that the previous SS was not able to diagnose (and in fact pretended everything to be alright), were nearly instantly felt and diagnosed and in the end fixed by Chowgule.

Previous SS had done lousy job of where a joint of the bumper had gone loose and the damage not corrected in time required a weld joint now.

The car is now behaving as if a new one after a long time. Really thanks to the attention it received today.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to know Mayuresh.

@vishalpipraiya- sorry to respond so late (more than a year in fact )! I have shifted loyalties to Sai Service at Hinjewadi for the exact same reason you mentioned. It is very close to work and they have a good reputation plus have had a couple of good interactions with them. Does not take away from Chowgule one bit, except that perhaps they need to locate their workshop closer to where us West Puneites can access it!
Old 12th December 2011, 21:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
I, too, had a very good experience at Chowgule - just today.
The car is now behaving as if a new one after a long time. Really thanks to the attention it received today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Good to know Mayuresh.

@vishalpipraiya- sorry to respond so late (more than a year in fact )!Does not take away from Chowgule one bit, except that perhaps they need to locate their workshop closer to where us West Puneites can access it!
Is this the showroom your referring the one at Taware colony? The one next to a petrol pump, on a narrow side road & has just undergone renovation cause i keep getting mixed up with the two that they have in that area.
Old 25th February 2012, 03:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Need to give our Maruti for some significant body shop (denting and painting) work. Does anybody know how good Chowgule is at it, currently?

Previous job was done at Millenium Mobility at Dapodi; and their paint job was not exactly awful but was not satisfactory either. Anyway, thats a closed chapter now.

Was considering Tune Up Plus due to the positive reviews on tbhp, but have several issues with them - they don't have cash less facility with Bajaj, pick up and drop charges are ridiculous at Rs. 400 (and its too far for me to deliver and come back personally) and I was told they don't even have a paint booth! Don't know how their work can be good without it.

Chowgule on the other hand have all this covered. But no idea how good their body shop work is; so any advice/comments much appreciated.

Any other better options in Pune?

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th February 2012 at 03:53.
Old 29th February 2012, 21:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nobody from Poona with any experience??
Old 29th February 2012, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Nobody from Poona with any experience??
Raccoon, I have no experience with Chowgule. But I have used the services of Wonder Cars for denting and painting and found their painting quality to be good. You may want to try them.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Raccoon, I have no experience with Chowgule. But I have used the services of Wonder Cars for denting and painting and found their painting quality to be good. You may want to try them.
Thanks for the reply. Since there were no replies till noon, and given the above +ve comments, finally decided to give it to Chowgule. Fingers crossed. Will post my experience after I get the car back.
Old 5th March 2012, 03:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Chowgule crashed my car!

Paid a personal visit to their Body Shop. They decided to contribute to the list of damages for which the car was delivered to them.

They have damaged the front bumper broken beyond repair. The number plate is also damaged. Don't knwo if there is any further internal damage.

Either the driver (we opted for pick-up and drop facility) has bashed it up on the way or they have bashed it up while moving it inside their premises.

Now the worst part is that the car was given to them for denting and painting, so obviously there was damage to begin with. They mark this damage with the help of a diagram on the job sheet. Now the place will be marked even if it has scratches. If they do further damage there, then you have no proof! Luckily the job sheet copy that I have at home does is not marked for damages at that place but the job sheet they showed me at the body shop has been marked! Checked that when I got back. Now have to slug it out with them. They are insisting that the car already had the damages when it was picked up, which is absolute lies.

A very bad start indeed. And something that others may well take heed of. Read the job card that the driver gives you very carefully before signing.

Two issues which cause much concern - the car has been banged right in the front. Thats something I'v never managed to do with any vehicle ever since I'v been driving. So it casts much suspicion on the competence of their drivers.

Have always opted for pick-up and drop with Millenium, but they never added a single scratch to the car.

Second is that I was shocked to see how they keep cars at the body shop. Many parked cars hardly had 1 or 2 inches gap between them!! It is almost impossible not to scratch cars if they are parked with such tiny gaps between them.

Very unpleasant and shocking experience with them already. And they haven't even begun the work! Not sure how to deal with this now, but they better own up fix the damages. Certainly not going to take it well if they expect me to pay for damages that they have inflicted, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Raccoon : 5th March 2012 at 03:42.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that update Raccoon. This was a fear I had highlighted even in my original post: since the workshop is at the far end of town, I have only opted for pickup/drop facility and haven't checked out their facilities for myself. Am wiser now, so don't think I will give my car there anymore. Sai Service in Hinjewadi is a better option (I didn't have a delightful experience there but they are at least responsive and called me back in for some free touch-ups and stuff). Am seriously thinking of going non-MAS completely.
Old 5th March 2012, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^^Just keeping my fingers crossed that the work they do is good. And of course they better own up to the damage they have inflicted on the car. Not heard from them yet.

Sai in Hinjewadi is good? Have experience with only 1 Sai MASS - the one on deccan. The work was below tolerable. Never went there again. But that was few years ago. They even stole new speakers from a Friend'r car (few years ago) by replacing them with old ones. At least thats what was told to me.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Just keeping my fingers crossed that the work they do is good. And of course they better own up to the damage they have inflicted on the car. Not heard from them yet.

Sai in Hinjewadi is good? Have experience with only 1 Sai MASS - the one on deccan. The work was below tolerable. Never went there again. But that was few years ago. They even stole new speakers from a Friend'r car (few years ago) by replacing them with old ones. At least thats what was told to me.

Raccoon: I have been getting my swift serviced at chowgule from 2006. They are good at servicing and fixing technical problems, infact would rate them the best MASS. However for body repairs they are not so good. I have done body repairs from them couple times only because of the cashless Maruti insurance cover, which works really well at Chowgule
Old 25th March 2012, 18:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to my post above, the story continues.

They damaged the car again and then yet again.

Summary of damages:
  • Front Bumper and number plate.
  • Panel around front left tyre.
  • Headlamps.
  • Windscreen.
  • 2 of the newly painted doors (damaged again right after painting).
  • 2 other body panels.
  • Indicator
  • 2 Bulbs fused.
  • Electrical connections not connected properly. So no indicator, headlamp.
  • Damage to paint covered with paint using a brush. Patchwork clearly visible now.

So this is now the total damage count.

Chowgule have a Body Breakage Shop and not a Body Shop.

Anybody who patronizes them, please take note. Even though you may be patronizing only their Workshop, please note that if they cause any damage in the workshop, your car will go to their Body Shop, and you know what that means. Also, it is not clear how much of the damage they have inflicted was within the premises of their Body Shop and how much in their Workshop. Body Shop SA says it happened in the Workshop and I'm pretty sure the Workshop SA will say the opposite.

Customers can form their own opinion.

Many other observations. Full story here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2725460

Comments invited in the above thread.

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th March 2012 at 18:35.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks