Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 15:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sterling Auto Noida Labour charges

My Indica lost pressure in the braking system due to leaking seal in the rear drums. Took the car to workshop where they replaced it. The Light(right side) stalk was acting up so got it changed. The total cost of parts was 280+380 = 660rs.

but the shocker was Labour charges. they spent about 2-3 man hours on the car total and it cost 660rs in labour charges! This is daylight robbery. On asking the service chap he says its the standard rate. But If you get a paid service done it costs 600r in labour and it takes 4-5 man hours for the job.

I am planning to write to Tata Customer care complaining about the exhorbiant labour charges. Will keep ya guys posted.
Old 12th December 2005, 15:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
My Indica lost pressure in the braking system due to leaking seal in the rear drums. Took the car to workshop where they replaced it. The Light(right side) stalk was acting up so got it changed. The total cost of parts was 280+380 = 660rs.

but the shocker was Labour charges. they spent about 2-3 man hours on the car total and it cost 660rs in labour charges! This is daylight robbery. On asking the service chap he says its the standard rate. But If you get a paid service done it costs 600r in labour and it takes 4-5 man hours for the job.

I am planning to write to Tata Customer care complaining about the exhorbiant labour charges. Will keep ya guys posted.
Hmmm... it does sound a bit on the higher side for the work done. Rs.660 labor to change a leaking oil seal and a light stalk is really high. Of that the light stalk change is something anyone can do, basically non-skilled job... uhuh... sounds high for sure.

By the way, though it may sound a bit sacrilegeous let me ask you could you not have got it replaced from any outside mechanic? I mean, my Indica back home is stationed at a place from where the nearest ASC is 30kms away. So all the small work gets done locally and it is nonetheworse for it Recently it popped a seal in the engine bay and oil started gushing out of the bonnet like a spray. We parked it at home and called a local mechanic. He purchased a seal (tata seals are available everywhere b'coz of the sumos and trucks and buses which ply every corner of the country) which costed some 150 bucks and the labor came to Rs.60! Thats it. And for that price he also washed the engine bay with kerosene and then applied some wax polish on the under-surface of the bonnet hood.

The very next day the car did a gruelling 185km run in a day.
Old 12th December 2005, 16:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

I dont know of any good outside workshop in Noida. Otherwise I would always take my car there! Its almost 4 years old and out of warranty, and in many cases there are better expert mechanics available outside. But in Noida I dont know of anyone!
Old 12th December 2005, 16:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I dont know of any good outside workshop in Noida. Otherwise I would always take my car there! Its almost 4 years old and out of warranty, and in many cases there are better expert mechanics available outside. But in Noida I dont know of anyone!
Check with any of those cab wallahs... those indicabs do a gruelling duty, day-in day-out. If their cars are not in shape they loose precious business. However they always get it done outside... Typically you will find a garage tucked in some bylane where you will find all sorts of indicabs, scorpios and such yellow-plates on stilts under various stages of repair. Just find one such guy. They will do these jobs much better.
Old 12th December 2005, 19:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

No, they wont do a better job but yes a cheaper job. They'll treat your car like they treat the other cabs and trucks which obviously no one gives a damn about. But if its your personal car, then its advisable to stay away from these guys who work on the taxis. So just ask people at your workplace, neighbourhood etc. for a reliable mechanic. You'll definitely find a good one with a certain amount of patience.
Old 12th December 2005, 19:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
No, they wont do a better job but yes a cheaper job. They'll treat your car like they treat the other cabs and trucks which obviously no one gives a damn about. But if its your personal car, then its advisable to stay away from these guys who work on the taxis. So just ask people at your workplace, neighbourhood etc. for a reliable mechanic. You'll definitely find a good one with a certain amount of patience.
Not necessarily Deeps. Its a matter of finding the "right" mechanic. The cabwallah example was to specifically highlight the part that these guys have been working on diesel vehicles for donkey's years. They do know a few things. And the suggestion was meant mainly for things like oil seal changes, oil top-ups etc. You need not take your car for PS overhaul or such stuff. But for everyday small things these guys do work out to one's advantage.
Old 12th December 2005, 20:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

TSK even i couldn't find a good mechanic for my indica.authorised service centers are all crap in noida.i get the small things fixed from sec16 but i dont trust mechanics for anything that requires job that need moderate skills.indica is a very sesitive car a little bit of mistune can irritate you a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks