Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 16:29   #1
BANNED

Can I delay the insurance claim (due to personal reasons)?

Hi All,

It is a very unusual query. I don't know if anyone else has also faced the same situation, veterans please advice.

A week ago while i was driving my swift in the dense traffic of Delhi at a speed of approx 10 - 15 kmph,my car got hit by an auto rickshaw leaving my car with a major dent on left front door, a minor scrapping on left rear door and bruising on left side of rear bumper. A sum total of 75% of the left side of my car is damaged, leaving only the front bumper of the left side without any damage.

Now the kind of damage I am talking here is paint getting scratched from few places, few dents, and some auto rickshaw colour on my cars entire left side. These kind of incidents occur daily, so I am not talking about this.

My question is, Can I delay in claiming the insurance. Due to some medical emergency, I cannot afford to leave my car in workshop for 5 days (maximum) as suggested by the person in Maruti workshop including the time which surveyor takes for doing the survey and approval.

So I am planning to delay this repair by claiming it from insurance company for a month.

Please guide if it is possible as I have come to know from ICICI Lombard's customer care executive that the surveyor may reject the claim by saying that this is a month old accident and cannot be covered now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2015 at 11:26. Reason: Language
himanshusharma is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2015, 16:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Can I delay the insurance claim (due to personal reasons)?

The whole car is under insurance. Some surveyors tell than only one panel can be covered, but they give in if you insist. And the insurance can be claimed at anytime, provided you have continuous cover. Only thing is if you have a no claim bonus and the dent appears older than the last insurance renewal, the claim amount will minus the NCB. Otherwise no other issues. Don't believe your surveyor.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 18:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshusharma View Post
My question is, Can i delay in claiming the insurance.

Due to some medical emergency , i cannot afford to leave my car in workshop for 5 days (maximum) as suggested by the person in Maruti workshop including the time which surveyor takes for doing the survey and approval.
So i am planning to delay this repair by claiming it from insurance company for a month.

Please guide if it is possible as i have come to from ICICI Lombard's customer care executive that the surveyor may reject the claim by saying that this is a month old accident and cannot be covered now.

Thanks in advance.
If you have not yet informed the insurer about the damage, then you can delay the claim.
These kind of claims are usually considered as own damage.
You can claim the insurance whenever you are free and mention it as an own fault which resulted in the damage.
It is mandatory to provide time and date of the incident in the claim form, so make sure you provide the details closer to the claim date.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 09:27   #4
BANNED

Thank you for your replies wildsdi5530 and speedmiester.
@speedmiester i haven't informed the insurance company as yet but i don't want to get into a scene where the claim is refused or any other problem is created by the surveyor due to this delay.
I am very confused in this as i don't want to spend a hefty amount for the repair job.
What do you guys think if i write a mail to ICICI Lombard explaining them the whole situation and going through route chosen with mutual consent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks