Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Telangana supports digital format for insurance policies

Quote:
Come December 1, general insurers will issue electronic version of motor vehicle policy as well thus paving the way for a Telangana government proposal allowing motorists to produce e-copies during checks by enforcement agencies.
Quote:
Telangana – with about 75 lakh motor vehicles – has been selected for the pilot project and over a period of time the e-version is to be issued across the country.
Quote:
The benefits are manifold, Mr. Taranikanti said, listing on top convenience for motorists – no need to carry the original, paper form, thereby prevent loss/theft/damage to the document.
Quote:
For ease of verification, the e-policies will sport a QR Code.
Source

With the automobile industry, and even India railways making inroads into hitherto uncharted digital territory, I hope the day is not far where we can live in a truly digital era.

I am waiting for the day when the traffic police can scan the number plate of a vehicle and check the insurance history online, it will make the conventional "show license and insurance" procedure quicker.

Last edited by batterylow : 26th November 2015 at 12:57.
batterylow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 13:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Telangana supports digital format for insurance policies

Well... if not scan the plate electronically then something closer to that has existed in Telangana for long (even when it was AP). At least 5 years back I was once stopped on the necklace road at one of those makeshift roadside checkposts that police puts up from time to time. By the time I stopped and parked alongside the officer who had a small handheld device had scanned/typed my number in his device and had my entire history with him.

I was amazed when he came next to the driver's window and checked whether I am so and so who owns this vehicle. He asked first for all the documents and then said that I have an old echallan pending for 100 rupees (never reached me!). I readily paid and he took a payment acknowledgement receipt out of that machine and handed it to me.

So that part of your dream exists for long, at least in some form.
Zappo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 15:30   #3
BHPian

First ask them to have some centralised road tax system or atleast an online system.

All these conveniences like scanning devices/ paperless insurance becomes the butt of jokes when you have to run from pillar to post in an RTO trying to get an NOC/tax receipt etc and getting harassed /fooled by agents.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2015 at 13:16. Reason: Language
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th November 2015, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this is new as the directive from IRDA to start issuing e-Insurance document was already in place. Its just that Telangana might have rolled it out first. Had these been in the form of a smart card type, it would have much more easier to flash rather than hand over the electronic document.

Has Telangana RTO started to issue Smart card RC? IMO that should be the first priority.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 08:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Has Telangana RTO started to issue Smart card RC? IMO that should be the first priority.
Smart card RC has been there for a long time even before bifurcation of the state. After bifurcation, the owner's photo is being added to the RC smart card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks