Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 15:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: HDFC Ergo Insurance wants to install a travel logging device in my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachbennym View Post
My car is insured through HDFC ERGO - I got a call today from their office that they would like to install a device in my car for a month.

The device will measure distance travelled, speed, acceleration and braking behaviour. After a month they will analyse data and also share the same with me.

Any idea why they want to do so and is there any catch to this?

regards,
Benny

Related Thread - Link
It primarily depends on the kind of driver you are. Steady or F1 wanna be
If it is the former, haggle for a good discount, and go into the details raised in the posts above.
If you are the latter, say No thank you!
Old 13th January 2016, 17:14   #17
BHPian

One more question to definitely ask them would be : If you do not get it installed what are the implications?

Try to prise out any information on increased premiums or additional clauses if the device is not installed.

I think the insurance company will be smart enough to figure out that if you're refusing to get it installed, then it means that you don't want your driving to be monitored. Which means that probably your driving / patterns are risky. I'm not telling that you are driving riskily but if I was the insurance company, i would be inclined to assume that and penalize you for that. I don't know how legal that would be. But seems like a plausible conclusion that the company may draw.

In essence, this might be the "offer you should not refuse" !
Old 13th January 2016, 22:55   #18
BHPian

If I were you I would stay away from this 'device'. Why share all that data with the companies only to be faced with increased premiums to your VIN number. Not to mention they will create a data profile on you which might stick with you even if you change your car (who knows). Even if you do not do high spirited driving on a daily basis, you would always have a monster on your back about this device and would have to think twice before putting your foot down. And everyone does some spirited driving once in a while. On a lighter note, you should probably watch this episode of TopGear. It's about insurance premiums (teenage car challenge) and somehow shows how insurance companies 'over charge' for everything.
http://www.topgear.com/videos/cars-t...s-13-episode-2
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:10   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I think the insurance company will be smart enough to figure out that if you're refusing to get it installed, then it means that you don't want your driving to be monitored.
That's thinking too far.

1. Many fish in the sea. If HDFC Ergo increases his premium, he can always switch over to someone else offering a competitive rate. Net result = HDFC loses his business.

2. Insurance companies know that it's IMPOSSIBLE to even imagine every car in India running around with these devices.
Old 19th February 2016, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Got the below mail attachment today from HDFC ERGO, guess this is related to what has been discussed in this thread.

Wondering, what they will do with all the info collected through the App.

HDFC Ergo Insurance wants to install a travel logging device in my car!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1455895370.937760.jpg
Old 5th October 2016, 15:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

I am also wondering if these trackers pass on benefit to customers in the Indian context.

I mean, will they primarily focus on increasing premiums for customers with negative factors and maintain status quo for others or will there be possible discounts to a user with favourable driving patters. That also makes a difference to whether one would be amenable to this feature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks