Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Installed Bi-xenon Headlamps: Impact on insurance?

@Mods: I'm posting this query here as a separate thread as I could not find any other relevant thread to do so. Kindly merge with an existing one if needed.

Background:
I have a Polo GT TSI, 2015 model. I recently changed my head-lamps to after-market EagleEye headlamps and retro-fitted Morimoto bi-xenon projectors to them.In this retrofit, the original OE headlamp assembly as well as the wiring harness is unchanged.
For more information on the details of the retrofit, please check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4038855

I have also got (removable) white strips applied on the front bumper from 3M. Please check the picture of the car in the linked post.

I have a bought-from-dealer zero-depreciation insurance policy from United India, which I have renewed in March '16.

Queries:
1. Do I need to inform the Insurance companies of these mods? If I need to, would it lead to an increase in the premium?
2. If I do not, is there a possibility that these may become a basis for rejection of a claim in the case of an unfortunate event?
3. I did read through my policy leaflet, however it does not mention any clause(s) of modifications invalidating insurance, or requiring the insurance company to be informed.
4. Is getting coverage for the after-market headlamps another way to ensure that there would be no issues during an insurance claim?
5. I have tried to take care of potential warranty related issues during my retrofit and now want to ensure that Insurance is unaffected as well, hence the questions.
Thank you for your valuable feedback and suggestions in advance!
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 15:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Installed Bi-xenon Headlamps: Impact on insurance?

That should not be a problem. You have not made any structural modifications to the car. I dont think you even need to inform the insurance company of this.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 16:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Installed Bi-xenon Headlamps: Impact on insurance?

There is insurance cover for accessories. You need to pay little amount and can get your new headlights covered under insurance.

Since stock wires are not cut, there should be no issue regarding warranty / insurance claims.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 27th August 2016 at 16:04.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:49   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed Bi-xenon Headlamps: Impact on insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
Do I need to inform the Insurance companies of these mods? If I need to, would it lead to an increase in the premium?
You should definitely get these bi-xenons insured as well. Will be a marginal hike in premium (couple of hundred bucks). I've always gotten after-market ICE & rims included in the insurance coverage.

Just that you'll need a proper bill for the bi-xenons. Hope you have one on hand.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 16:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
Queries:
1. Do I need to inform the Insurance companies of these mods? If I need to, would it lead to an increase in the premium?
2. If I do not, is there a possibility that these may become a basis for rejection of a claim in the case of an unfortunate event?
3. I did read through my policy leaflet, however it does not mention any clause(s) of modifications invalidating insurance, or requiring the insurance company to be informed.
4. Is getting coverage for the after-market headlamps another way to ensure that there would be no issues during an insurance claim?
5. I have tried to take care of potential warranty related issues during my retrofit and now want to ensure that Insurance is unaffected as well, hence the questions.
Attached for reference the wordings generally available in the Insurance policy document for better clarity. Please note that you wont be able to claim insurance for any malfunction of the accessories.

Quote:
IMT.24. ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC FITTINGS
(Items fitted in the Private Car but not included in the manufacturer’s listed selling price of the Private Car)
In consideration of the payment of additional premium as stated in the Schedule notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the Policy it is hereby under-stood and agreed that the Insurer will indemnify the Insured against Loss of or Damage to such electrical and/or electronic fitting(s) as specified in the Schedule whilst it/these is/are fitted in or on the Private Car insured where such Loss or Damage is occasioned by any of the perils
mentioned in Section I of the Policy.
The Insurer shall, however, not be liable for Loss of or Damage to such fitting(s) caused by/as a result of mechanical or electrical breakdown.
Provided always that the liability of the Insurer hereunder shall not exceed the Insured's Declared Value (IDV) of the item.
Subject otherwise to the Terms Exceptions Conditions and limitations of this Policy.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That should not be a problem. You have not made any structural modifications to the car. I dont think you even need to inform the insurance company of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
There is insurance cover for accessories. You need to pay little amount and can get your new headlights covered under insurance.

Since stock wires are not cut, there should be no issue regarding warranty / insurance claims.
Thanks! I feel pretty positive about this too. However knowing insurance companies' eagerness to reject claims for the wildest of reasons, can never take their goodwill for granted. But as you guys said, there shouldn't be any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You should definitely get these bi-xenons insured as well. Will be a marginal hike in premium (couple of hundred bucks). I've always gotten after-market ICE & rims included in the insurance coverage.

Just that you'll need a proper bill for the bi-xenons. Hope you have one on hand.
Thanks, GTO. Yes, I do have a bill with me. Will check with United India on what the expected increase in premium/procedure-to-get-coverage would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Attached for reference the wordings generally available in the Insurance policy document for better clarity. Please note that you wont be able to claim insurance for any malfunction of the accessories.
I don't remember having come across this section at-least in my policy's leaflet. Will check again. Thanks!
So this means that at-least theft, accidental damage and natural causes (rain, hail affecting headlight components) which are the most probable to occur would be covered? May need to read that referred section to find out, but in essence, seems okay that they wouldn't cover damage due to mechanical/electrical breakdowns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks