Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2007, 14:02   #1
BHPian

i have a claim in icici to be made please advice...

i am a newbie here but i have know this site for 4-5 months now, i just wasnt active here, my apologies to the moderaters and others.i know now what i missed out, had i been active i think i would have never insured my viva crdi with icici... which i did in jan(12-01-2007).
i need some help here for i need to claim for around 25-30k rupees. let me describe the accident with my vehicle here...

well i was driving around 80kmph on the highway and suddenly a cow jumped onto the road on the left side from no where and i a bid to avoid the accident i tried to turn right and still hit the cow, luckily only my left rear mirror, leftside windshield frame(the cow's head hit the frame the mirror and left a small dent on the door),left door and the front bumper got damaged from left side..... i got scared as i was driving alone and drove off saw the damages later as there would be people flocking around and making a very big issue out of it....

well i now donot have a police case (fir) or anything on the incident, and i need to claim insurance for the same although this happened on 12-06-2006 i had to delay the claming till now i want to know if its best to claim the insurance now, or to claim it next year after changing the insurance company, as i have read rtech's bad experience...?
please do reply...
Old 27th February 2007, 14:37   #2
BHPian

Forget about claiming next year. When you renew the insurance, they will first inspect the vehicle.
Claim now, meet your insurance agent and take his help. State the truth as far as possible. You are not obliged to stop if you hit a cow.
You have a very legitimate claim, don't worry.
Old 27th February 2007, 14:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is no need for an FIR in your case. Kindly take the car to the workshop they will assist you in the claim process. All you have to do is intimate the Insurance company to depute a surveyor who will survey the car & approve the estimate post which the repairs can be started. It sounds like a long process but at most take 2 days to complete.

Also with ICICI make sure you keep a copy of every document you give or recieve & please take whatever the surveyor approves in writing from him. This is to sort out any issues later on.
Old 27th February 2007, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

You cannot obviously file an FIR against a cow !! u have a geniune case for claim..
Old 27th February 2007, 18:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstyx View Post
i insured my viva crdi with icici... which i did in jan(12-01-2007).
although this happened on 12-06-2006
if the dates that you have given are right then the gap between the accident and the claim is a big one.

nevertheless you can claim for the insurance but keep in mind, just give out neccesary details and nothing more. let them do the talking rather then you spilling out more then needed.

ther is no need for an FIR as there is no second or third party included. ( a cow cannot be a party)

get it done at the earliest and keep a tab on them at every point of time.

Mansi
Old 27th February 2007, 18:13   #6
BHPian

I agree with Manaa..
While telling them when the accident happened.. dont tell them it happened in December.. Say it happened in mid Feb and also u can always say u hit a tree or something.. Provided the accident should look like one happened with the tree.. Also now a days FIR is not a mandatory requirement for claiming Insurance.. Even if u had hit another car or person you dont need a FIR..
Cheerssss
Old 27th February 2007, 19:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
I agree with Manaa..
While telling them when the accident happened.. dont tell them it happened in December.. Say it happened in mid Feb Cheerssss
And also ask Mods to delete this thread .
Old 27th February 2007, 20:56   #8
F50
Senior - BHPian

Mrstyx, I would say it was not the smartest move of not claiming before your renewal. IF the dates are right then you should have had claimed earlier.
Atleast at the next renewal you would have enjoyed 20% NCB.
Old 28th February 2007, 09:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the Cow??. nobody on the forum is interested in the poor animals plight?
Dont we have any animal rights person here..

You should not have any problems with the claim..although i would like to know how you have been driving around with damages to " left rear mirror, leftside windshield frame,left door and the front bumper"

and the left windshield frame is damaged..did that not smash the glass??
Just curious

Godfather
Old 28th February 2007, 09:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
What happened to the Cow??. nobody on the forum is interested in the poor animals plight?
Godfather
I have already said a special prayer for the cow.... Hamburger anyone?

But seriously, I have just re-read the original post - How on earth do you drive for over six months with all that damage? Maybe I should also say a prayer for the car?
Old 28th February 2007, 10:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

FIR not needed, When driven on highway if car hits cow and you need not stop also, just on humanity basis pay 500 to 1000 bucks to cow owner but not a priority job, I know it hurts a lot if we hit cow but its like unfortunate stuff.

All you need to do is this year itself before you renew claim and repair the damage!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have already said a special prayer for the cow.... Hamburger anyone?
Spoken like a typical goan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
FIR not needed, When driven on highway if car hits cow and you need not stop also, just on humanity basis pay 500 to 1000 bucks to cow owner but not a priority job, I know it hurts a lot if we hit cow but its like unfortunate stuff.

All you need to do is this year itself before you renew claim and repair the damage!

Regards,

Ravi.
Though you feel sorry for the poor animal, there is nothing much you can do in these situations. if you stop, you will be mobbed.

Insurance can be renewed without showing the car also. Inspection of the car is required only when the insurance has expired & has to be renewed. At least thats whats been happening for me.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 28th February 2007 at 11:04.
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:34   #13
BHPian

no it dint damage the wind screen to my good luck just the side panel had a few dents and the rvm broke.....
i guess the cow got a broken jaw.... sorry for that.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks