Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:22   #1
BANNED

Gurgaon resident fakes theft of his Audi A4 to wrongfully claim insurance money

The old generation Audi A4 whose theft was faked was recently recovered by police from a safe house in Meerut, while the accused and his accomplices have been arrested.

Quote:
It’s said that desperate times call for desperate measures and it looks like the ongoing situation has really pushed some to resort to unlawful activities in order to earn a quick buck. The case in point here is a recent incident that has come to light. As per a video clipping from a news channel, one Harmaan Singh has been booked along with his friends for faking the theft of his Audi A4. As per Preet Pal Singh, SP (Crime), Gurgaon, Harmaan recently lodged an FIR with the local police station in which he mentioned that he was approached by someone on seeing a classified posted by him on OLX for the sale of his old generation Audi A4. As per him, the person who approached him visited him along with his friend on a motorcycle. While the motorcyclist left soon thereafter, the other person insisted on a test drive of the vehicle.

Next, Harmaan claimed that the interested party didn’t allow him to get into the vehicle and sped away. However, on investigation, the Gurgaon police found out that while Harmaan had actually posted a classified for his Audi A4, it was done in order to fake theft and wrongfully claim insurance money. The cops were soon to find out the real motive behind the posting of the classified and nabbed Harmaan under various sections of the Indian Penal Code. The Audi car in question was recovered from Meerut, where it was hidden by the owner.

It may be noted here that it is not the first time a car owner has tried to wrongfully claim insurance by faking the theft of his vehicle. However, the recent incident comes at a time when the entire country is reeling under a tough economic condition, wherein several people have faced a huge economic stress. Hence, we won’t be surprised to know if Harmaan faked the theft of his car in order to earn a quick buck.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gurgaon resident fakes theft of his Audi A4 to wrongfully claim insurance money

Such news items always make me wonder as to how the cops caught the person in question. Usually the cops take zero interest in such theft reports of cars and neither does the owner have any hope of recovering the vehicle. In fact that whole process of going to the cops is only done since it is a legal requirement for claiming insurance. Do cops really make an effort to trace vehicles?

Kahan milte hain aise cops?? (Where do we find such cops?)
drmohitg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gurgaon resident fakes theft of his Audi A4 to wrongfully claim insurance money

Meh. Taking inspiration from an idea that has so recently been busted.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...age-2-a-2.html (BMW stolen while drunk man stops to urinate. EDIT: It's a fraud (page 2))

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do cops really make an effort to trace vehicles?
A gentle nudge from the insurance provider must have helped? If the insurance guys suspect foul play, greasing palms must have worked out cheaper than the insurance payout.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Insurance companies have their own Private investigators. They do their own due diligence, they must have shared the details with Police once they had enough proof of fraud.

Last edited by BANDHAV : 22nd June 2020 at 17:12.
BANDHAV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:51   #5
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Such news items always make me wonder as to how the cops caught the person in question.

Kahan milte hain aise cops?? (Where do we find such cops?)
Seasoned cops usually are able to figure out if you are genuine from interacting with you. I'm certain crimes like this they probably can crack once they have a hunch that you may not be telling the truth. People who have had the experience of having their cars stolen might be able to confirm, but they do check for holes in your story and will break through if it doesn't check out.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:08   #6
BHPian

Around 1980's, a stolen Premier Padmini was parked near our house, minus - its Alternator, Starter, Battery, Radiator etc. However, Car Radio was spared and still there. The Cop that came to investigate, recover and take away the Car hinted to me to take away the Car Radio. He hinted that, when so many components have been stolen, the list would include one more item.
He thought I would be a fool to fall for the trap. He would have raided my house later, recovered the Car Radio and declared me to be the thief and used third degree to recover the other components.

They have their own strange ways or are a double edged sword.
Amrik Singh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Seasoned cops usually are able to figure out if you are genuine from interacting with you. I'm certain crimes like this they probably can crack once they have a hunch that you may not be telling the truth. People who have had the experience of having their cars stolen might be able to confirm, but they do check for holes in your story and will break through if it doesn't check out.
Actually I had the experience of interacting with them just last year itself when my 1 week old Brezza got stolen right from outside the house. The cops were least interested, although helpful in explaining the process to me. They simply said that they will flash this message across the state and then wait for 60 days to see if they can locate the car. It was quite clear the both are mere procedural steps as Delhi being so small in size, a car would cross its borders even before one reaches the police station. And the 60 days wait was mere legal formality.

May be in this case they got suspicious since an Audi was involved. I believe luxury cars are not high on the list of car thieves since their demand would be much lower and also the spares won't be of much use in gray markets.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:51   #8
BHPian

The cops are usually least interested unless the vehicle is later on involved in some serious crime.However in this case ,it seems that someone tipped the police about the whereabouts of car.Finding the culprit is not that difficult for the police later on .
In 1997 ,a maruti 800 was found parked on the street opposite to our residence .Police was called and as usual the police came after a few hours .We also had a maruti 800 and the police ASI asked me for the keys of my car .I unsuspectingly gave him the keys but luckily the stolen car didnot open with them.Later on my acquaintance, an advocate told me that we were lucky that the stolen car didnot open with my car keys or we would have been the suspects.Strange are the ways of the investigation in india .
whitecloud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks