Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 20:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?

A friend Sheethal shares the following information related to the accident that happened to his close relative's Ecosport and the way the insurance company - Royal Sundaram has responded to it. He shares some screenshots of the official communication between the owner, the bodyshop manager of the Ford service center and the Royal Sundaram insurance personnel.

Condition of the Ecosport after the accident:

EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?-img20200804wa0000.jpg

Quote:
The bodyshop manager of the service center repeatedly says the body is not repairable.
EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?-img20200804wa0001.jpg

Quote:
But Royal Sundaram insists on repairs using child parts! A-pillar, B-pillar and roof.
EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?-img20200804wa0002.jpg

The body shop manager says it isn't repairable using child parts!

EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?-img20200804wa0003.jpg

And provides an estimate but insists the repair isn't doable:

EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?-img20200804wa0004.jpg

Look at the mangled state of the Ecosport! Maybe escalation to the insurance ombudsman would be the next logical step?
Gannu_1 is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 21:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Insurer loses case for going against workshop opinion

After reading reports like these, I'm glad I paid a premium and took expensive policies from Future Generali and HDFC Ergo for my cars. I have had claims many times where the cost of repair was more than 50k but it was passed with no headaches what so ever. In one case, it was declared as a total loss and we got the money despite the salvage guy saying he can repair the car and sell it for good price.

I think the insurance companies should publish their claims records and car owners like us should make purchase decisions based on other's reviews and not run after saving 100-200 bucks here and there (I've been guilty of that, but rectified it immediately the next year).

Last edited by aah78 : 6th August 2020 at 03:13. Reason: repair. ;)
blackwasp is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now wh

Thanks for sharing, Gannu! Moving your post to a new thread as many others might also face the dilemma.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now wh

Hoping all occupants survived alright & have recovered fully from the physical/mental trauma of such an accident.

For many years - I have resisted a lot of approaches & recommendations from friends for Royal Sundaram insurance. This single and sad incident makes me feel I have been making the right decision. Not that my trusted vendors (New India, Tata AIG & Bajaj Allianz) will not play these tricks in future with me should I face such a situation (hoping I don't), but at least I haven't seen such absurd cases in my close circle from these vendors.

The A pillar, mostly B pillar & roof have collapsed. Recovering this car is simply putting the occupants' life in danger if there is another accident in future. The customer should fight it out & take the insurer to courts for not considering this a total loss.

Thanks for sharing this Gannu!

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th August 2020 at 14:36.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

The language and tone used in the communications by Royal Sundaram lacks professionalism, and no hint of empathy towards the customer. Their customer communications team should be given a crash course on the mail etiquette I suppose.

Just another case where it shows how important is it to read the fine prints. It's not possible practically though as most of us, me included, just blindly accept the terms and conditions.

It's quite risky to repair a structurally compromised shell in the larger interests of safety. Here the owner is caught in a quandary. Hope he gets a fair treatment from the insurance company.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th August 2020 at 14:41.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess that is enough evidence for all of us to remove Royal Sundaram from the preferred list of insurance providers. In my opinion, going for any private insurance provider is a big risk. The premiums may be low, but they will let you down when you need them the most.

It is better to find solace in one of the four PSU insurance companies. The difference is that employees of private insurance companies have incentives to deny claims, while the government insurance companies only mandate that their employees go through due process and do not evaluate them using claim data. You have a much better chance at getting your claims approved through a PSU insurance company even though it comes at the cost of slow approval workflow.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th August 2020 at 14:57.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 15:22   #7
BHPian

If the repair estimate is greater than 75% of IDV then car should be declared total loss & the consumer is liable to get the IDV value. There is no point repairing it as it's structural rigidity is gone & chassis is also affected i presume. Tell your friend to fight for total loss.

Source
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 15:37   #8
BANNED

Here are two related threads that you might find useful

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...dai-creta.html (Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta)

Here the same insurer as yours, Royal Sundaram proceeded to repair the car, and the owner then decided to sell it, not feeling confident about it. Seriously, go through this thread, all of you. And boycott Royal Sundaram.

The second thread is the one posted recently. Here the workshop said that they could give no guarantees, and he ended up filing a case. (Insurer unknown)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...p-opinion.html (Insurer loses case for going against workshop opinion)

So my advice would be to get it repaired, and then sell it off.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2020 at 05:42. Reason: Minor typo.
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 15:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally child parts should be available or the entire body shell needs to be replaced which would cost between 2&3L INR for the shell & panels. It looks like a newer model of car so the repair should be cheaper than the cost of the car.
Old 6th August 2020, 19:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Actually my experience with Royal sundaram has always been good. Many claims over the past 12 years in 3 different cars. However I have always taken Royal sundaram through Honda Assure where the cost is almost double as taking independently. But Honda dealership insists on Honda assure. And claim process is always extremely smooth.
Maybe it is a tacit understanding between the company and the insurer. Is your insurance taken independently or was it through the dealer?
Old 6th August 2020, 20:15   #11
BHPian

Hope all of the occupants are safe and sound. As is clearly visible from the picture, the A pillar, B pillar and the roof have collapsed. The structural rigidity of the vehicle is gone but Royal Sundaram is trying to save money instead of making good customer relations.

All our cars in the family have mostly had insurance done from ICICI Lombard and it has been a hassle free experience claiming repairs of a Ford Aspire. I suggest your friend to push for a total loss and if required go to the court.

Lowflyer23
Old 6th August 2020, 22:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Let me relate my experience with Royal Sundram

I was driving a Mini belonging to a friend and a wheel + tyre got damaged. Car was towed to Navnit.

After assessing, it was suggested that I go for insurance. The lock down happened so I could not register a claim. Towards end May, we initiated the claim, first a lot of hoo has about the delayed submission, then they asked for proof - the entry ledger copy was sent. Then they claimed that the registration number was not there when it was clearly shown.

A weeks delay

Then who was I , who am I in relation to the owner, what was the purpose of my driving ?

A weeks delay

Please measure tyre depth

A weeks delay

Change the tyre (but wheel was damaged) and prove wheel was damaged. Dealer then videos the mounted wheel on the testing machine

A weeks delay

Submit another form, Required getting the owner to file the papers again

Another week delay

New wheel approved and fitted

Another week delay

Original tread depth required - dealer has discarded the tyre, I luckily had original photos.

Dealer asked them to calculate and initiate liability

Another weeks delay

Finally get delivery early July - all that was needed was a wheel change

Note during the last three weeks I was calling the surveyor etc daily. The service manager told me that ICICI would have sorted the claim in two days

Last edited by ajmat : 6th August 2020 at 22:56.
ajmat is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 05:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hoping all occupants survived alright & have recovered fully from the physical/mental trauma of such an accident.
Sheethal's response:

Quote:
Only the driver (my relative) was there, belted. He came out scratch less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
If the repair estimate is greater than 75% of IDV then car should be declared total loss & the consumer is liable to get the IDV value.
His response:

Quote:
Another member said if the repair costs exceed 75% IDV, then it has to be declared as a total loss.

Even we told same. IDV is Rs. 8 lakh. Initial estimate is Rs. 5.90 lakh. Later when they dismantle the car, supplementary estimates will start adding to the initial estimate.

But Sundaram Insurance is insisting on repairing it with child parts!
Adding to this, Sheethal says there's a backstory to this entire sham:

Quote:
They made the owner agree to pay 35k. With an e-mail confirmation. 20k for body shell and 15k for consumables.

If he were to pay this amount, they are ok for the body shell. Or else child parts!

Then I came in to picture. (I = Sheethal)

Immediately asked him to send a mail stating he won't pay this amount. We complained with IRDAI. Royal Sundaram grievance cell. The grievance cell redirected to same person in Bangalore who previously pressurized us.

This is his first car and he has been mentally pressurised like anything! We do not intend to leave the matter and we will be going to the consumer forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Maybe it is a tacit understanding between the company and the insurer. Is your insurance taken independently or was it through the dealer?
His response:

Quote:
The insurance was sold by the dealer. They have tie-up with Royal Sundaram.

To check if they still have tie-up with them, I called the dealership to inquire like a new customer for the EcoSport. He suggested RS insurance zero dep! No hassles in claim as we have tie-up!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2020 at 06:06.
Gannu_1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 09:00   #14
BHPian

The body shell is crushed in critical areas, it can be repaired but will require a lot of work and isnt worth it nor will it be road worthy after that and also give niggles during ownership.

I would suggest the customer send a final communication to the insurer, requesting for a 3 party meeting between him,service center and insurer. Following which a legal notice in case of insurer not agreeing and proceed legally,it seems to be more of the individual with impaired judgement handling this case.

Escalating to a higher level in RS may help too, glad the occupants were unhurt and are safe, hoping your friend resolves this at the earliest.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:29   #15
BHPian

Such malpractices by the insurance companies are really a headache to the customers. I really appreciate the Government's decision regarding the reduction of compulsory insurance to 1 year from existing 3 years, one of the main reason being the services and satisfaction of the insurer. If you like it for the first year then keep them otherwise change your insurance provider.

I would pay a premium amount for my car's insurance and go with some more reliable and trusted provider(of which no such tales I have heard)
chiefpk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks