Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card

While I knew that vehicle insurance has to be transferred at the earliest on purchase of a pre-owned vehicle, I was not sure about the procedures when we bought our first car. At the dealership, we were told that insurance transfer can be done once the RC Smart Card arrives. Little did I know that it can take really long, especially during these COVID times. Though I like doing documentation work on my own, paid the dealership to get the work done as transfer could mean multiple trips to two different RTOs in risky times, 60+ km apart with my limited driving expertise. Moreover, I was also working from home.

For the vehicle purchased on 29 June, the RC was available on DigiLocker on August 4th. The SMS stated RC was under preparation. My concern was growing day-by-day as the vehicle was now in my name but not the insurance. I kept searching forums and even spoke to local dealership (car has Maruti Insurance) but everyone insisted on RC Smart Card. I wrote to Maruti Insurance asking for alternatives - first reply asked for vehicle and existing insurance details and no replies came later. Expect delayed responses due to COVID was their standard auto-reply.

While exploring the Vahan portal, after entering the vehicle number I had noticed an option RC Particulars - was wondering if this document could be used for my purpose. When I finally explained my concern about insurance transfer to the contact handling RC transfer, he mentioned that an "extract" could be used for the purpose and it could be obtained from centres offering citizen services. I used this information to approach local dealership's insurance advisor and he confirmed the same. He added that it probably costs ₹150. I knew the real price was just ₹10 and told him that if I can't do it myself, would need his help.

The Process

1. Head to Vahan Citizen Service portal and key in your registration number

Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card-vahan1.jpg
  2. The subsequent screen would list all the available services for the concerned state

Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card-vahan2.jpg
  3. Click on RC particulars and you would be directed to a screen wherein the chassis number will have to be entered. Enter only the last five digits (this isn't specified there but I figured out based on prior experience with Vahan portal - somewhere else it was specified!)
  4. On validation, the enter mobile number field would appear. Enter your registered mobile number and obtain the OTP.

Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card-vahan3.jpg
  5. On successful validation, RC details would be displayed with payment required at the bottom.
  6. Proceed to pay ₹10 through the SBI ePay gateway.
    Tip: Using a Rupay debit card means zero convenience charges.
  7. The document could not be downloaded immediately and the bank transaction was shown as pending verification. Apparently that can take up to two hours. To avoid waiting you can try "Check with bank" option after some 30 minutes. Once this step is complete, the document can be downloaded.
  8. I used this document and the insurance transfer endorsement was done at the local dealership in ~15 minutes. Photos of the car were clicked and the car was moved forward and reversed in the process. This involved an endorsement charge with valid receipt. The charge particulars was later printed on the endorsement certificate.
gischethans is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 07:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
For the vehicle purchased on 29 June, the RC was available on DigiLocker on August 4th. The SMS stated RC was under preparation. My concern was growing day-by-day as the vehicle was now in my name but not the insurance. I kept searching forums and even spoke to local dealership (car has Maruti Insurance) but everyone insisted on RC Smart Card.
Thankyou for sharing! I had to do something similar for my cars. The extract you mentioned is available in your local RTO for a small fee. I have used this to get details on prospective used cars I was planning to pick up. When asked at the RTO for reason, just mention you are looking to buy a car hence doing background.

In the first instance, my car's name had a typo when I got my Abarth. Now, I thought I would get the RC book in 10-15 days. But, even after 2 months, there was no RC book. I had the details online, so sent the insurance company the DigiLocker copy and they accepted it. Insurance company was Future Generalli.

Last year, I picked up my uncle's 2005 WagonR. Got it transferred to my name, and just like you, the car had Maruti insurance. In this case too, the RC was delayed so resorted to give the guys my DigiLocker copy. Initially they said this won't do, but after about 2-3 visits to the MASS (I did offline insurance on the car) they accepted it and changed it to my name.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st September 2020 at 07:50.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card

Thanks for this useful information. However, I tried this about a month back with the insurer ICICI Lombard. They told me to wait for the physical RC copy to arrive (this was at the time when I had a soft copy available on Digilocker and the same was conveyed to the insurer). The moment I received the physical copy, I sent them the scanned RC and they visited my place to inspect the vehicle. Then after giving a go ahead to the vehicle, I received a link from them to pay ₹60 for the endorsement. After the payment I received a soft copy within two days.

Note: The inspection of vehicle is mandatory in case more than 14 days have been passed since name transfer on the RC. Since it usually takes more than 14 days (it took around a month in my case) for the physical copy to arrive one could keep the notarised copy of Form 29&30 and use them to apply for RC transfer as well before the physical copy arrives. Attaching the screenshot of the mail for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Explained! How to transfer Insurance after change of ownership - without RC smart card-621df675274e47d4b91fca0f57f70dc7.jpeg  

sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 09:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.
I use Parivahan app and saved my vehicle details but never knew about this.

Can we download the RC and use that for sale of car, in case original RC is not available.
Old 1st September 2020, 09:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Can we download the RC and use that for sale of car, in case original RC is not available.
No, you will need the original (or duplicate) RC from the RTO when buying / selling the car.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 23:51   #6
BHPian

Thank you so much for the info. I’m also in the process of getting my Insurance transferred since the vehicle is now on my name but I haven’t received the RC smart card as of yet. Will post my complete experience once I am done with transferring the same on my name. This post however has solved half of my problems.
Thanks again
gulerianeeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 07:12   #7
BHPian

I have recently purchased a pre-owned car and it has an insurance valid for the next 7 months. The previous owner has not made any claims and is due to receive a no claim bonus (NCB).

When I spoke to someone at the insurance company (ICICI Lombard), he told me that the NCB amount (on a pro rata basis) will need to be paid by me to them as the NCB was due to the previous owner. Can anyone here help me if this is correct?
Old 25th July 2021, 11:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

When transferring Insurance for the vehicle sold, one can also submit the copies of Form 28,29 & 30 along with the Insurance copy, PUC copy etc to the Insurance co informing them of the change of ownership transfer. Once the smart card is recd the actual Insurance ownership change can be effected. The receipt of acknowledgment from Insurance co is sufficient for any claims by new owner.
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
When transferring Insurance for the vehicle sold, one can also submit the copies of Form 28,29 & 30 along with the Insurance copy, PUC copy etc to the Insurance co informing them of the change of ownership transfer. Once the smart card is recd the actual Insurance ownership change can be effected. The receipt of acknowledgment from Insurance co is sufficient for any claims by new owner.
I was under the same impression. Though when I contacted my insurance provider (New India Assurance), they told me until RC is transferred on new owner name, they cannot do the transfer!
My understanding was the 3rd party insurance is valid for 14 days from date of sale, post that the older insurance has no meaning (as good as having no insurance). So if the RC is not received within 14 days(which is usually the case), then how do I drive my car around? Am I missing something here?
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:16   #10
BHPian

I am selling my Polo GT which is in perfect condition, hardly used. Have put it up on TBHP classifieds.

I have just renewed the insurance. A question:

Is it legally/ethically correct to cancel the insurance after I have sold the car and get a pro rata refund? So the new buyer has to now buy his own insurance? This is how it works in other countries, just trying to understand what is the procedure in India. Or do I not have to do anything with the insurance after selling?

The reason why I ask is I have a high NCB and want to keep this with me for if/when I buy a new car.

Thanks.

Last edited by s4ch : 23rd May 2022 at 12:18.
Old 4th August 2022, 19:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I am selling my Polo GT which is in perfect condition, hardly used. Have put it up on TBHP classifieds.

I have just renewed the insurance. A question:

Is it legally/ethically correct to cancel the insurance after I have sold the car and get a pro rata refund? So the new buyer has to now buy his own insurance? This is how it works in other countries, just trying to understand what is the procedure in India. Or do I not have to do anything with the insurance after selling?

The reason why I ask is I have a high NCB and want to keep this with me for if/when I buy a new car.

Thanks.
Just quoting myself as I have now sold my car and wonder if I can cancel the insurance policy now and get a refund of 10k (as per what Acko's calculations are on the website)? They say they need a copy of the sale deed only to do this when I select reason as "Sold car". Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 27th October 2022, 00:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Just quoting myself as I have now sold my car and wonder if I can cancel the insurance policy now and get a refund of 10k (as per what Acko's calculations are on the website)? They say they need a copy of the sale deed only to do this when I select reason as "Sold car". Any advice?

Thanks!
You can ask your insurance service provider for an NCB letter that will preserve the NCB and you will be able to use the NCB for any new insurance policy you purchase in the next 3 years
anish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:27   #13
BHPian

Second Hand Car - Insurance queries

Hi Guys,

Need a little help with some queries I am unable to find an answer for. I have bought a preowned car whose insurance needs to be renewed tomorrow. Unfortunately, the RTO is taking its own time to process the change of owner and is still to effect the changes in their records.

I am also waiting for the NCB letter from my previous car as that is 40%.

Now I am in utter confusion as to how to take this forward,

1. Should I renew the insurance in the old owners name? How do I add the NCB to it later?

2. Should I let the policy lapse and then renew the insurance in my name after a couple of days along with the NCB and new RC book? As per my understanding, a grace period is available to renew the insurance, but in my case I am unsure of if this applies.

Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks

Last edited by mav2000 : 19th October 2023 at 11:28.
Old 19th October 2023, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Re: Second Hand Car - Insurance queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post

2. Should I let the policy lapse and then renew the insurance in my name after a couple of days along with the NCB and new RC book? As per my understanding, a grace period is available to renew the insurance, but in my case I am unsure of if this applies.
I bought a used car recently and was told that if the car isn't transferred within 14 days of the date of sale, a physical verification will be required to transfer the old insurance policy in my name. Which means, if your RTO will take 14+ days, you'll anyway need a verification. Hence the ideal solution for you would be to let the old policy lapse and buy a new policy of your choice along with your NCB as you'll need the verification anyway.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks