Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 19:32   #1
BHPian

Lost my car keys! Insurance wants FIR, but police say only CSR can be given

Hi all,

I lost my WRV car key - but have a spare.

I have Car key Replacement in my insurance - Bajaj Allainz.

I went to the police station in Neelankarai, Chennai, and filed a report and the police issued a C.S.R.

When I tried to raise a claim, the insurance wants FIR.

I went back to the police station, and was informed that for lost key, only CSR can be given and not FIR.

Insurance is refusing to accept CSR and wants FIR.

What can I do???
thirdmainroad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:48   #2
BHPian

re: Lost my car keys! Insurance wants FIR, but police say only CSR can be given

They are pretty much going to end up pointing at each other.
AFAIK , your key must be having a punched number which denotes the security, you can just give this to the company and they'll make a new key and give it to you at a cost.

Save yourself the hassle from Cops ,claiming insurance and running post to post

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 20:49   #3
BHPian

It’s a keyless entry and costs over Rs 10,000. And plus I have paid for key replacement cover in the insurance and would like to get what’s rightfully due!
thirdmainroad is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 20:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Insurance is refusing to accept CSR and wants FIR

What can I do???
You've no option other than fighting with insurance company. FIR is provided only when there's a human involved, including kidnapping although there's no human injury.

All the rest of the cases falls into community statement including theft of mobile.

Whom are you dealing with Bajaj Allianz? Is it customer support executive over phone or some real person whom you can meet or is it online service? I think they're doing their best to make your life difficult to skip the claim. If it's a person may be you should tag him along with you to police station or if its customer service, then ask them to provide in writing or if you've some friends in lawyer circle, they can rescue. If you've to deal them all by yourself, then reading the fine prints is the only option I see.

But for sure, what Neelangarai police station says is right per law.
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:08   #5
BHPian

Thanks for that. It was the insurance surveyor that’s insisting on the FIR.

Can I legally ask the insurance to give me a letter saying that they are denying because of lack of FIR?

The surveyor is saying as per the insurance policy, FIR has to submitted. He says a legal team has written it, and if they have used the term“FIR” then that’s what is needed.

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 17th September 2021 at 21:10.
Old 17th September 2021, 21:14   #6
BHPian

Ask the Insurer to give it to you in writing that their process needs an FIR. If they refuse, mail them the whole ordeal and request escalation.

If nothing comes out of it, contact someone called the "Insurance Ombudsman" (Google it) and convey that because an FIR cannot legally be issued, the insurers process is flawed & unfair.

Do keep this thread updated so others know what is the procedure.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 17th September 2021 at 21:15.
WorkingGuru is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:30   #7
BHPian

I don't think police will ever give a FIR for this.
They didn't give me a FIR when there was a fraud transaction done on my credit card because it was less than 6 figures. I had to mark emails to the credit card company stating the obvious that the police has not agreed to provide a FIR for the same. They ultimately rolled back the fraud transaction without the FIR.

The insurance company is nothing more than trying to somehow not allow you to make a claim.
Were you raising the claim online? If so, try writing an email stating that you have lost your keys and attach the policy doc and other related documents and make them raise the claim basis your email. In that email you can share the fact that police has refused to provide a FIR for the same.

Side note: did you get insurance done by yourself or you got it from the dealer?
If its through dealer, try to tag them along in this as they might help you thinking of loosing business if the claim is not approved (since you are paying for the key part).

Last edited by Agarwal_Aayush : 17th September 2021 at 21:31. Reason: extra bracket
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:33   #8
BHPian

Dear Thirdmainroad, There is an option to Register FIR online in Chennai. (Your profile says you are from Chennai)
As i can understand that you were in market and someone snatched your bag in which you lost some money and your Car key. It can be registered under Bag lifting/Theft.
Please do check the other subjects/reasons mentioned there on the website, select which ever suits you and register FIR.
Hope this is helpful .

On a side note , there was fraud transaction of 2.5 lakhs on my Debit card when i was out of India. Police refused to issue FIR and Axis bank fraud department accepted the normal police document with stamp of local police station.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 17th September 2021 at 21:38. Reason: Added few more lines
rpmmachine is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can I legally ask the insurance to give me a letter saying that they are denying because of lack of FIR?
Nothing wrong asking, but in my opinion, they will refuse citing the clause

Quote:
The surveyor is saying as per the insurance policy, FIR has to submitted. He says a legal team has written it
Then it's even easy; pls ask him to point that out in the copy of document that was provided to you. If it's not shared then, you cannot know the terms & conditions obviously.

If nothing can be done, trick the surveyor to police station for him to hear an earful from the SI, atleast you can get the satisfaction of watching plight of his situation
Old 17th September 2021, 21:42   #10
BHPian

Sent the below mail to Bajaj Allainz customer care and the area Grievance Redressal Officer. Thing is my insurance expires on 20/09/21, and its almost 18/09/2021 now. However, claim has been filed. Will keep updating here.

Hello,

I am XXXXX , holder of Motor Vehicle Policy No HBA /008XXXX. Phone number XXXXX
The policy covers my Honda WVR 1.5 VX MT, iDtec Registration Number TN XX X XXX, Chassis no XXXXX.

The policy is Valid till 20/09/2021.

I lost one of my car keys on 09/09/2021 at approximately 10 AM when I was walking near my house in Vettuvankeni, Chennai 600115.

My policy covers Key Loss, which was an addon I paid for.

I went to the nearest police Station, J8, Neelankarai, pin 600115 and submitted a written complaint for which I was given a CSR receipt by the police. on 09/09/2021.

Mr Roshan Ali, phone number XXXX surveyor appointed by you informs me that claim cannot be processed with CSR, but only FIR.

The police and lawyers have informed me that legally, for Key Loss, only CSR can be granted by police and not FIR.

Therefore, kindly instruct your surveyor, Mr Roshan Ali, to accept and process the claim with the police CSR report.

Or please provide me in writing that for Key Loss, Police FIR is needed and Police CSR is not accepted - (note FIR for key loss cannot be legally obtained) such that I may take further action against you for wrongfully denying valid claim.

Thanking you,

XXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Dear Thirdmainroad, There is an option to Register FIR online in Chennai. (Your profile says you are from Chennai)
As i can understand that you were in market and someone snatched your bag in which you lost some money and your Car key. It can be registered under Bag lifting/Theft.
Please do check the other subjects/reasons mentioned there on the website, select which ever suits you and register FIR.
Hope this is helpful .

On a side note , there was fraud transaction of 2.5 lakhs on my Debit card when i was out of India. Police refused to issue FIR and Axis bank fraud department accepted the normal police document with stamp of local police station.
Should have done just that! Sigh

Was thinking that with their FIR "policy," for Lost keys it may mean that Key replacement might be covered only if a key is stollen.

However, on their site, it says policy will cover even if key is miss-placed.

So going to have to dance with them a bit!

https://www.bajajallianz.com/general...ent-cover.html

Forgetful Much? Think About A Key Replacement Cover
Sample this: It is a busy morning and you have an urgent meeting slated soon. Just when you dash for your car, you realize that you cannot find the keys. You run from pillar to post, and eventually conclude that you must have misplaced the keys somewhere.

Now this is not a good spot where you can be in, considering keys nowadays are sophisticated and can only be made/duplicated by the manufacturer. In such a situation, chances are you would have to shell out a considerable sum from your pocket in order to get an alternative set of lock an keys. However, with a Key Replacement Cover, a financial crisis is averted.

MOD NOTE : Quoted post trimmed and back to back posts merged.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules and Posting Etiquettes before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th September 2021 at 11:28. Reason: Mod note attached.
thirdmainroad is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 09:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you want to lose your NCB for such a small claim?

Go to a reputed keymaker, and he will get you a duplicate.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Why do you want to lose your NCB for such a small claim?

Go to a reputed keymaker, and he will get you a duplicate.
It's over 10000 as its a keyless remote.

This will be my second insurance claim this year, so NCB already lost.
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:35   #13
BHPian

I had lost my car's keyless remote back in 2019.

The insurance was from Royal Sundaram. The only Police document was for a 'Lost Article report'.
I filed using the online option. This was in Karnataka though.

Later, Royal Sundaram replaced the keys without any issues.

Link: https://www.karnataka.com/govt/onlin...st-report-app/
shatananda.k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:27   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Please dont!! In these days of CCTVs the cops can just take you the market and ask exactly which spot it happened ask for date and time and check with local vegetable sellers as well as CCTV. You will be courting arrest with such a foolish move!

Quote:
Happened to me when I was back in India a few months after a foreign vacation and money was withdrawn from a hard to locate foreign location on google map. I filed an FIR showed my passport with immigration stamp for date of entry/exit and that was it. No grudge, the ~40k INR/- or so was refunded.
Ragul is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:02   #15
BHPian

To me it sounds like the insurance company is trying to dodge the claim. I'd change my insurance as quickly as I can when it's due. Of course, complain to the ombudsman too. Not sure how much it would help though. They haven't said no, just asked you get something that nobody will provide.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks