Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Can we combine personal + third party cover for multiple cars? Is it possible? Can you shed some more light here, It would be useful for me and possibly others.
I think one policy links to only one vehicle (engine and chassis no.) However it should be possible to get a competitive price for multiple vehicles insured with a single insurance company pretty much like corporate group mediclaim insurance.

I'm also looking to renew insurance for my altis 2009 from current (future generali) to RS but spoke to them and got to know they don't provide comprehensive plans for vehicles older than 10 yrs. Also on Policy Bazaar I seem to have very limited options for comprehensive plans (Digit, Shriram, sbi general, IFFCO tokio)
Rapidholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:48   #17
BHPian

Hi Rohan! Royal Sundaram is definitely not an unknown brand as far as car insurance is concerned.

When I got my Brezza in 2017, Maruti suggested going for Royal Sundaram (through the dealer ofcourse). Unfortunately, I had to file 2 claims in the first year itself and both were honored without any hassles whatsoever. May be it was due to the fact that we purchased the policy through Maruti itself.

I have had a pleasant experience with Royal Sundaram before shifting to Bajaj Allianz due to my corporate tieup. You can surely go for Royal Sundaram.
ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Royal Sundaram is one of the most popular car insurance providers. While the Digit, Acko, etc are relatively new(er).

RS is good but service differs from person to person for any Insurance provider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Read some reviews, Royal Sundaram seems to have a positive response from the customers. I'm surprised I never heard of them.
I have been a customer of Royal Sundaram insurance since 2011. That time I was a novice, as far as vehicle insurance was concerned ; and had taken only comprehensive package, not zero dep. Claimed only once in 2013. It was hassle free. The surveyor guided me about Zero Dep option. He also helped me in identifying the plastic parts can be repaired (glued) from FNG for less than 10% cost that I would have incurred.

However, as RavSam said, service differs from person to person for any Insurance provider.

Quote:
I will ask my SA regarding this insurance policy, 12k difference isn't huge but there must be some catch hence the difference I'm assuming. If not then RS it is !!

Yup, ensuring that return to invoice is included.
Do ask for the policy terms and conditions. The real devils reside there. And make sure everything is on email (dealer or Insurance company domain). No WhatsApp etc.

Quote:
I renewed my Insurance with Maruti Suzuki's inhouse HDFC erge as for 1.5k lesser I did not want any headaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've opted for Maruti Insurance, who in turn has tie up with some other insurance company
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
I have had good experience with Maruti Insurance as they usually take care of all the formalities irrespective of the end insurance company.
Maruti Insurance is just an accumulator which collaborates with various insurance providers. Kind of middleman earning some commission. Full name is 'Maruti Suzuki Insurance Broking Private Limited'. However, they are good when it comes to customer service. Have heard good feedback from friends and family.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:20   #19
BHPian

Another advantage of RS is that they offer Zero Dep for upto (at least) ten years. My 2012 Swift has Zero Dep insurance through them. So, if you stick with them, you can avail this for a long time.

Tata AIG refused Zero Dep for my other seven year old car.
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:28   #20
KGS
BHPian

Quote:

Any BHPian using/using Royal Sundaram can guide me if they are hassle-free and don't have dingy clauses !!
I got RS insurance while buying my i20 in 2013. Till now I have done only one claim for this car. Experience was smooth, no hidden surprises at the last moment and insurance premium was also competitive.

Also, I would suggest to give them a call, throw some smaller numbers to them , tell them about other insurers and 99 out of 100 times they will lower the insurance premium for you.

You can definitely go for it as a first time customer. However , as per my personal experience, their premium is not the best if you are a repeat customer. So for next year do not blindly renew your insurance with them. You might get better premium with other providers.
KGS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Maruti Insurance is just an accumulator which collaborates with various insurance providers. Kind of middleman earning some commission. Full name is 'Maruti Suzuki Insurance Broking Private Limited'. However, they are good when it comes to customer service. Have heard good feedback from friends and family.
Not just customer service; say the car breaks down at Lakhpat, the nearest MASS is probably at Bhuj or Gandhidham, may not even be at Nakhratana. There's will be a big surprise at the ASC - the ASC doesn't have a tie up with so & so insurance company. All you got to do is, pay the bill & claim it later from insurance company!!

With Maruti Insurance, no matter the workshop as long as it's Maruti Authorized, you're assured they're going to accept the insurance & no claim later business.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I am renewing our Creta's insurance, I'm a bit confused here, need some advice.
Fortuner stolen | Return to invoice cover | Insurance co says variant discontinued

Do read this article, how fine details in T&C matter.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:31   #23
BHPian

Royal Sundaram is a well respected brand among automobile sector. It belongs to TVS group, an conglomorate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVS_Group having so many business entities. Most of them are family managed and the directors maintain low public prescence. TVS group is a major AUTO componant or aided service providers to brands ranging from Suzuki to VW or the big 3 group of Europe. Because of this involvement, you can see TVS group Companies having ties with other Brands for their businessess. Eg. Sundaram motors are dealers for Honda and Mercedes, TVS auto Assist provides RSA to brands, TVS TWG provides Extended warranty services, Sundarm finance and royal sundaram provides fianance and insurance, TVS tyres supplies 2 wheels tires, Delhpi TVS Fuel system, ETC. There are many more and the list goes on, google it!

Go ahead with RS if you are satisfied as the brand has good reputation on the likes of TATA, BAJAJ, BIRLA in India.

Last edited by jeganatu : 15th November 2021 at 18:33.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:08   #24
BHPian

Thanks a ton Everyone.

Looks like Royal Sundaram it is !!

First off will be getting a key replacement, the unlock & lock button on the key fob fell off by themselves, no physical damage by me or anyone (Hyundai needs a build quality overhaul ), this stuff really reminds me of what GTO said

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Today's complicated cars are designed for just 10 years of life. Throw them away after that. Unlike the 15 - 20 year old Honda Citys you still see running on our roads, you won't these cars.
I could throw WagonR's 14 year old keys off a 10 story building and drive it home
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:55   #25

We have used Royal Sundaram for our Ford Aspire for past 3 years now. Made 2 claims without issues.

Only challenge faced was they did not have cashless with all service centers so we had to pay upfront once but this was reimbursed within their timelines.
omprakashp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 21:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Along with TATA AIG ZeroDep insurance from the dealer itself for around 43k (1 Year Zero Dep + 3 Years Third Party).

Interestingly/Oddly we only had 2 insurance claims in this insurance.

Currently, I'm being quoted 14.7L IDV after 10% depreciation? I feel that's low for a car costing 20L on-road Delhi.
Ground rule before buying any insurance, do they have cashless tie up with your trusted service center? If answer is yes, then next question

How many claims you made previously? I see you already made 2 claims?

Next question is are you satisfied with existing insurer? If yes, the next question.

Renewal quotation in your budget?

If your answer is yes to all above questions, then blindly proceed with your existing insurer.

There is no right or wrong answer here when it comes to chosing insurance. It totally depends on the type of claim you made and the surveyor.

I made zero claims in last 3 years and using my vehicle very rarely (maybe once in a week to keep the battery in condition) hence, I went with the cheapest insurance I could find (Acko). The existing BharatiAxa quoted 30k and Acko quoted 17k (with 5k mandatory deductible plus 2k processing charges only if I make a claim).

Acko doesn't have cashless tie up with my service center, yet the claim process is simple. We have to inform them before taking the car to body shop, they will evaluate and then advise on next steps like what is covered and what is not. I then have to upload bills on their app and they will reimburse my money. I hope this day never comes.

CSD has nothing to do with the insurance quotes, this is just some made up stories from dealers. Always remember depreciation is calculated on ex-showroom price and not on on-road price.

Finally, if conditions were different and if I am using my car daily, I would not risk taking Acko but would go with cashless tie up insurers.

Coming to your Royal Sundaram quotation, if you get same quotation from a local agent, it would be costlier even if it has same coverage and benefits like online one. The agents add their commission to it (approx 3-5k). Online is always cheaper, example Acko, which is online based only and they do not have any physical agents. This is how they keep their prices low. I hope this helps you in making the right decision.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 15th November 2021 at 21:48.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 04:27   #27
BHPian

Hello All,

I own a VW Ameo Highline Plus DSG. The insurance is due for renewal next month. Currently the car is insured from ICICI Lombard for the last 2 years (its a Dec 2019 registered car). No claims taken so far.

Please advice if the cheaper insurance options will be good to go for.

Some of the quotes I got online are as following (All prices excluding GST):

Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance-7070f454729f4b6ea96b3bdcaa4e219a.jpeg

Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance-7583c6a3f5c3474c947dae457e09d9d3.jpeg

Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance-86323234efa5482c94ff60e9f701d1de.jpeg

Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance-bf2bcb55f3fa490d894a818f9d192975.jpeg

Cheap Insurance vs Known Brand but Expensive Insurance-07711e32d8954976b70669bdd33f425d.jpeg

Thanks in advance 🙏🏻

Last edited by SuperSuri : 16th November 2021 at 04:51. Reason: Adding quotes from various service providers
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 04:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Any BHPian using/using Royal Sundaram can guide me if they are hassle-free and don't have dingy clauses !!
I have the most relatable experience for you. My 2020 Creta SX(O) Petrol Automatic's first year insurance was done through the dealer for around 80k. I couldn't negotiate much since the car had just launched and I wanted the first lot.

Insurace renewal came up in MAY 2021, and I went with Royal Sundaram through Policybazaar. Full zero dep with all add-ons like wheel replacement, Return to invoice covers and a good IDV (15ish lakhs) all for 22k. I then had a minor fender bender kind of accident, and the claim process was a nightmare. The dealership said it was all on me and denied cashless saying the insurer is not supported even though it mentions so in their website. I signed a document saying I'll pay for repairs and then they started work. And then the surveyor and RS claims agent refuse to visit the workshop saying I got insurance through Policybazaar and I had to contact them for all claims. They wouldn't even answer calls. And then Policybazaar - they are always more interested in selling new policies than servicing claims. A few days passed and my case was going nowhere.

I finally had to pull strings and then everybody started working - my car was ready within a week. 65k billed by the workshop for headlights, foglights, bumper, left fender replacement and other small bits. I only paid the 5k deductible plus 1500-odd for painting charges that were not covered for some reason. I got no complaints for the money I saved while renewing my 2nd year policy.

If you can get things moving through pressure or using your contacts, do go ahead with Royal Sundaram and Policybazaar. But if you want a hassle-free experience, I would suggest going with the dealership's recommendation. Hope this helps.
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 10:52   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am a Royal Sundaram customer, primarily because they are the rare guys offering me zero-depreciation coverage for my 8-year old 530d. On a car where each headlight costs a couple of lakhs, zero dep is the only way for me. I was also a bit skeptical, but I have a good broker (BHPian F50) & he told me not to worry (I trust his opinion). Read up positive comments from BHPians too, hence went ahead.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2021 at 10:53.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:21   #30
BHPian

Spoke to the service manager, he's pushing for dealer offered HDFC but was supportive for other brands too.

Told me RS is okay, the process is a bit slow (totally okay by me, the car doing 2.5k in a year )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
If you can get things moving through pressure or using your contacts, do go ahead with Royal Sundaram and Policybazaar. But if you want a hassle-free experience, I would suggest going with the dealership's recommendation. Hope this helps.
A bit concerning but most BHPians have a positive response so fingers crossed, only made 1 claim till now that being a fender bender when a swift guy reversed into the number plate, got a 50k bill =, repaired it within 4 days with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am a Royal Sundaram customer, primarily because they are the rare guys offering me zero-depreciation coverage for my 8-year old 530d.
Will definitely need a 10 Year zero-depreciation for that DCT !!
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks