Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history

Vehicle insurance data is available online and it can be a very useful tool for those looking for information pertaining to the insurance policy of a specific vehicle.

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-screenshot-20211208-180024.jpg

Insurance Information Bureau of India (IIB) is a data repository, which comes under the purview of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).

To check the details of an insurance policy, one must know the registration number of the vehicle. The online portal lists the policy number, policy status, policy period and expiry date. It also has information regarding previous claim details including type of claim, date, whether total loss or theft claim, etc.

The database includes details of vehicles that have been insured post-April 1, 2010.

Thanks to Sandy Damodaran for the heads-up.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2021 at 18:51.
TusharK is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:18   #2
BHPian

re: Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history

This is an excellent tool. Thanks! Will be very helpful for those buying a second-hand car.
Old 8th December 2021, 23:02   #3
BHPian

re: Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history

Excellent tool! Shows if there have been any insurance claims within the last 5 years, if insurance is currently valid or not, and even if the car has been declared a total loss. Love this for buying 2nd hand cars!
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 23:28   #4
BHPian

If only these sites worked when required. This is what I am getting now.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-screenshot-20211208-23.27.46.png  

batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Also useful to ensure policy renewals are recorded properly since this tool uses Vahan database at the backend. E.g. when buying insurance through an agent, i know a case recently wherein the premium was never deposited with insurance company by the agent.
Old 9th December 2021, 11:45   #6
BHPian

I just checked this for my car. It’s not accurate.
It says my car hasn’t had any claims over the last five years.
I have had no claims in the last three years with Bajaj Allianz, but it doesn’t show the three (albeit small) claims I had with Reliance Insurance (who was my provider for the first two years).
In fact it only lists Bajaj Allianz as my insurance provider.
one-77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:33   #7
BHPian

I too have tried it out and it mentions the details cannot be found.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:39   #8
BHPian

I got the correct data from the site.

Its a great tool for background checking pre-owned cars.

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-ins.jpg
Old 9th December 2021, 15:04   #9
BHPian

Wondering why the site is still not secured ( no SSL ). And we are keying in chassis num and engine num along with reg num.
enj0y_ride is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:23   #10
BHPian

Wonderful tool. But looks like the site is not SSL protected and most of time it is down. It serves its purpose only if it is online and has encrypted data transmission.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 01:04   #11
BHPian

Typical government portal. Seems to be buggy quite frequently. Tried a couple of times today, returned the "Page not found" error.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 10:50   #12
BHPian

Re: Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history

It seems to me that the site only works on http. If you have a browser plugin that automatically connects to the https version of the URL - you get the not found error.

I wouldn't feel comfortable entering any information over http.

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-untitled.png
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:39   #13

Re: Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history

This portal is used by the employees to check the correct No claim bonus while issuing the policy.
Old 11th December 2021, 10:27   #14
BHPian

Heheheheh in my case it shows one claim in 2019; and immediately below that says "No claims recorded in the last five years".

I did not know that 2021 - 2019 was > 5.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 10:42   #15
BHPian

I checked my cousin's car, a Tiago which had two major claims in the past two years ( Claims totaling above 4 lakh INR from two different insurance providers including United India). The portal told me there were no claims made in the past 5 years. Right.

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-tiago-insurance.png

Gave it another try with my uncle's Honda City. While it did show a claim made in 2020, it didn't show a claim that was made this year.

Buying a used car? Use IRDAI's online database for checking insurance claim history-hondacity.png

I don't think this portal should be used by anyone to completely rule out accidental history.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 11th December 2021 at 10:53.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks