Team-BHP - What to do in case of a minor car accident
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   What to do in case of a minor car accident (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/26811-what-do-case-minor-car-accident.html)

Dear All,

Just went through an accident this morning. Was waiting at a signal and this jerk in an innova scarped through the left door of my Indica, leaving a broken moulding and a deep gash. I was furious and demanded he stop his car. He insisted it was not his fault, that such things happen and I should claim Insurance. He said if I liked, we could go to the nearest police station and file a report. Getting late for work, I just noted down his registration number. Now, I have a couple of questions:

1. This incident would cost me some 2,000 bucks to repair and I had just spent 2000 bucks last week in getting adented fender repaired.

2. My no claim bonus is 2000 bucks, but I figure if everytime I'm gonna not claim, what is the use of insurance??

3. What does one do when a guy bangs into your car for no fault of yours. Can I claim compensation from 'his' insurance company?

4. Next time, should I insist for a jerk like this to pay me money on the spot, what if he refuses, I feel a street fight may have other complications

5. I feel I should not have let this guy get away, am I right in feeling this way or did I just do the right and practical thing.

Kindly guide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shekharlele (Post 512872)
Dear All,

Just went through an accident this morning. Was waiting at a signal and this jerk in an innova scarped through the left door of my Indica, leaving a broken moulding and a deep gash. I was furious and demanded he stop his car. He insisted it was not his fault, that such things happen and I should claim Insurance. He said if I liked, we could go to the nearest police station and file a report. Getting late for work, I just noted down his registration number. Now, I have a couple of questions:

1. This incident would cost me some 2,000 bucks to repair and I had just spent 2000 bucks last week in getting adented fender repaired.

2. My no claim bonus is 2000 bucks, but I figure if everytime I'm gonna not claim, what is the use of insurance??

3. What does one do when a guy bangs into your car for no fault of yours. Can I claim compensation from 'his' insurance company?

4. Next time, should I insist for a jerk like this to pay me money on the spot, what if he refuses, I feel a street fight may have other complications

5. I feel I should not have let this guy get away, am I right in feeling this way or did I just do the right and practical thing.

Kindly guide.

Sad to hear about the incident but replies to point 2 to 5 are:

2: Keep in mind you will loose NCB as well as add couple of hundreds for claiming, unless the claim amount is more than 5000 donot claim.

3: Technically you can claim his 3rd party, but will require lot of documentation and the other party to cooperate.

4: If you get the money out great, but if he is a thug kinds dont waste your time and just file a police compliant if damage is serious.

5: You did the practical thing nothing wrong.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I've been in a similar situation twice, and considering all options, I think it is best to let it go, if the damage is minor.

I know it doesn't seem fair if its the other guy's fault, but I feel there are very few options. You can -

1. Go to the police - they will most likely ask for a bribe which may cost you another 500-1000 bucks just for filing an FIR. After that there is a very long process to claim money from the other guys insurance, if he co-operates, else it may have to go to court.

2. If you get out of the car and fight to try and get money on the spot, you're taking a big risk - the other guy may be prepared to get very violent. Are you? This tactics only works for rickshaw and cab wallas when their comrades swarm the accident spot and threaten the other vehicle driver.

All in all, you did the most practical thing.

As far as I know for accidents which a third party is not involved, one need not file a FIR. You can directly go to the workshop and request the insurance company for claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 516172)
As far as I know for accidents which a third party is not involved, one need not file a FIR. You can directly go to the workshop and request the insurance company for claim.

When you make an insurance claim... won't the insurance company ask about the other vehicle involved and its insurance? I'm just curious.

I've claimed insurance four times last year, but all were against stationary objects (concrete columns, electricity poles etc.), not vehicles.

@k36 - The insurance companies in India know how the police work and they don't insist on an FIR (though the official rules explicitly state that you must file and FIR). I've been in an accident and got my insurance claimed without an FIR.

When my 4 day old indica got scraped by a drunk teenager in a UNO, I took away his keys and went home. I warned his dad and uncle, that unless they get it repaired at their cost, I will file a drunken driving case against their honhaar puttar.

My car was promptly repaired. Since then the drunkard teen has scraped a few more cars in the colony. :(

Hi shekharlele ,

What do you plan to do with the registration number you have noted down?

I always have the same question in mind. What if there is a minor accident (which is very common these days)? Can we use the registration number of vehicle that we note down for any good?

Is it better to take some pictures of the accident, before we move on? (just in case the other guy who rammed into you says, he was not involved in any accident).

We can't spend few thousands everytime another guy scrapes us, right? We need to make them pay for it. What is the best way to do it?

Indian

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 516415)
When my 4 day old indica got scraped by a drunk teenager in a UNO, I took away his keys and went home. (

Guess you were lucky to get scraped by drunk teenager. We cannot do the same stuff with taxi driver/call centre cab drivers right. In 90% of cases, they are the ones who gets involved in this kind of mess & they get away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian (Post 516429)
Guess you were lucky to get scraped by drunk teenager. We cannot do the same stuff with taxi driver/call centre cab drivers right. In 90% of cases, they are the ones who gets involved in this kind of mess & they get away.

I agree, call centre cabs are a major nuisance in cities like Bangalore and Mumbai.

A friend once called on the "How am I driving ?" number mentioned on the back of an Indica, only to be greeted with 'This number does not exist'.

Taxi wallas will most prolly not pay.

Mom's m800 was (three years ago) slammed from the rear by a bus, reducing the R side doors to junk. It was merging traffic, and the bus wala had jumped a red light - couldnt brake in time to avoid mom's car. In front of a PCR van standing right there, that driver instead of braking to a stop, tried to floor the pedal and pushed the m800, which was now perpendicular to the road, for about 20 feet, till a police walla got into the bus and snatched the keys.

After an accident like that, you'd expect some decency? No way. The bus owner calmly said that lock up the driver and impound the bus - I will get it out in two days flat, threatening publicly in the thana itself. We swallowed our indignation and resorted to insurance - playing with pigs, is playing dirty in their ground. Not for middle class college teachers like my mom :(

Hi Phamilyman,

That is the sad truth about our country. While honest taxpayers like you and me toil to own a vehicle, these crooks get away with anything. I know what it feels like to swallow your indignation especially when you are actually in the right. Don't let it worry you, thank goodness your mom is safe. Sometimes I feel so helpless....

I too had a jerk hit me from behind while waiting at a signal,have a crack on my rear bumper..i took off at him and he gave me 500 bucks...didnt really know wht to do in case of such accidents.

Had a similar one..was parked inm Traffic and a lorry fellow mistimed his braking and kissed my Santro and broke the Stop Light assembly....

Told the bugger to park it and wanted to get a feel of the situation as sometimes the lorry wallas can get nasty...realised that he didnt have RC book as when I demanded he was trying all sort of gimick...made a quick call to Local shop and found that the assemly will cost me 520 rs...so demanded 1000rs (anyway he would bargain to 50%)...finally after 30 mins argument settled with 300 rs as it would be taken form his Pay.

I could have left him off the hook bcos I felt really bad for taking that money from the poor guy...but at the same time I wanted him to feel the pain so that he would be careful next time....

Drove to a temple near by, deposited the 300 rs (i didnt want to use a hard earned 300rs of that poor driver...somehow my heart was not accepting)...drove to GP Road and my luck...a customer was trying hard to return a Stop light assembly of his Santro (he bought the wrong side) and the dealer was refusing a return so I bought it from him for 200 rs...

But I always analyse the situation and see if its wise arguing...some 1000 rs is not worth your life...

Quote:

Originally Posted by madbullram (Post 522512)
But I always analyse the situation and see if its wise arguing...some 1000 rs is not worth your life...

thats a very good point you made, appreciate your thoughts.