Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Claim insurance now or later?

Long story short- a truck came too close to my swift and both the non drivers doors have a cut on the outer panel. MASS says that the doors would need replacement. Though I would be claiming insurance, I would still need to pay arnd 4k (car is 3 yrs old). The doors are operating fine, they lock, windows roll up etc.

Some points to be considered:
  • I have a no claim history till date, and my insurance policy is up for renewal in mid-june. So might as well benefit from the NCB and then get work done
  • I stay at JP Ngr and my office is in Hebbal, and post May, traffic will increase (BIAL)- more traffic- more lane cutting- more dents/ scratches- continue with the damaged doors till everyone gets used to the additional madness on the roads.
  • Rains- trees falling- water logging- increased traffic + point mentioned above
So, should i get the doors replaced now, or wait it out for a few months? The last two points appear a bit weak- my car could get hit/ damaged anytime, but wondering from the NCB point of view.

Cheers
Old 30th April 2008, 14:14   #2
BANNED

If you can put up broken doors, then wait for 1 and 1/2 months, renew the insurance and claim insurance.
If you opt for this, in those 45 days you you can drive fearlessly, and teach a thing or two to those lane-cutters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I have a no claim history till date, and my insurance policy is up for renewal in mid-june. So might as well benefit from the NCB and then get work done
Old 30th April 2008, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) Rust is faster than light. (Personal exp)
2) No claims are accepted on even a tiny weeny Milimeter of Rust spotted
3) Today or Tomm - you are going to get it done, might as well do it now
4) All said, 1 Picture speaks thousand words. Please post 1 ASAP. I can guide you if doesnt need a replacement and just a dent work.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2008, 14:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If you can put up broken doors, then wait for 1 and 1/2 months, renew the insurance and claim insurance.
If you opt for this, in those 45 days you you can drive fearlessly, and teach a thing or two to those lane-cutters.
Was thinking on similar lines as well
Old 30th April 2008, 14:20   #5

if im not wrong. The value of the car will actually go down next year, so the amount u pay from the pocket would be higher for the new door u replace.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1) Rust is faster than light. (Personal exp)
2) No claims are accepted on even a tiny weeny Milimeter of Rust spotted
3) Today or Tomm - you are going to get it done, might as well do it now
4) All said, 1 Picture speaks thousand words. Please post 1 ASAP. I can guide you if doesnt need a replacement and just a dent work.
1) Have covered the damaged area with electrical tape- have a black swift, so the black tape kinda merges in

2) Was not aware of that. will verify with MASS

3) My thought was that by doing it a month later, I get a NCB

4) will try to post pics- there is a cut. it will require tinkering and welding- and then maybe those vinyl stickers. if it comes close to 4k, might as well claim insurance

Cheers
Old 30th April 2008, 14:47   #7
BHPian

In case you are planning to claim insurance later dont go to tinker and weld else you may not be able to get the claim.

You better go with Option 1 of taping it and dont allow it to catch rust. Also remember that while lodging the Insurance claim you will have to tell them it a accident which has happened max 2-3 weeks ago or on the same day, if you tell them it was 3 months ago there will be more complications.

One of my colleague had a minor accident and delayed getting his car repaired and also the Insurance claim. He had to undergo a lot of questioning a written statement was taken that he did not have the time to get the car repaired, hence the delay.
Old 30th April 2008, 15:42   #8
BHPian

I must admit, I was being Naive. I thought the workshop would try and get repairs done, as there would be a margin built in, and therefore would "convince" the surveyor to pass the claims. One point i forgot to mention, I have maruti insurance.
Old 1st May 2008, 12:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[eaton View Post
if im not wrong. The value of the car will actually go down next year, so the amount u pay from the pocket would be higher for the new door u replace.
Oops... did not think about that :(
Old 30th July 2009, 12:33   #10

Hi,

On Sunday (26/07/2009) I went to Commercial Street for shopping. I parked my car in front of safina plaza around 3:00 pm where there is a free parking. When I returned back at 5:00 pm after completing the shopping to my surprise the car has got hit and the front co passenger side bumper is fully damaged. It got crushed deeply inside. I saw a tariff police around and went to enquire him and he says an auto driver came rashly and hit the vehicle. The auto is having a L board and he escaped before the tariff police reacts so he noted down his auto number and informed the tariff police.

Now the real drama started when i saw the damage I am sure that it was not an auto/any vehicle coming from diagonally and hitting the vehicle. It was a straight hit when some one reverses a vehicle and crushed from the back. So he said me to go to police station and asking me money for standing there waiting for me. I got very angry and said it will cost me nearly 20000 rs and you are asking me the money instead of catching that fellow. I came off from that place as there was no use fighting with that tariff police and went to police station asked the SI to call that vehicle person.

The SI says i need to register a case and I can claim the insurance and for filling the FIR I need to happily give them some money and also I need park the car in police station until RTO inspector comes. After all doing this nonsense I won’t get a penny from the other party rather I need shell money from my pocket, so returned to home and visited MASS for enquiring about the cost.

As per MASS it will cost around 20000 rs, front bumper replacement, painting, two headlights, one fog light and also denting, painting of hood and support panel. When I asked them they said I can get a claim of around 15000 from insurance and rest need to pay from pocket as lights, plastic will be only 50%. So I need to pay around 5000 rs from my pocket and it will take 3 days to deliver.

Actually both head lights are working just there clamps got broke and one fog lamp is broken but MASS says they need to be replaced. I enquired in outside shop and he quoted me 3000 excluding fog lamps for denting, painting the bumper and hood. Also adjusting the headlights and extra for fog lamps.

Now I decided on not claiming the insurance as any how I need to shell out 2000 more for that when it can get done from outside. Also the work which he has done was pretty good with painting and also setting the headlights clamp properly. Overall I paid him 3200 after bargain and the work were pretty good.

Guys can you please let me know whether my decision was right or it would have been better if I would have claimed insurance for this??

Apologies for the long write-up and also hijacking this thread for my query.

Thanks
Razak.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2009 at 12:57. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, donot cut paste from external editors like word. Also preview post before submitting. Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 13:31   #11
BHPian

If the work done was upto your satisfaction and well below your NCB, i belive its worth the pain.

Where is the local workshop guy of yours ? Appears to be doing a reliable job !
Old 30th July 2009, 13:47   #12

The shop is located GM Palya and the name of the shop is Das garage. He has done a pretty good painting and denting work, the colour has exactly matched with the rest of the body.

My insurance comes around 8000 rs as I have 2008 red swift vxi. I dont think the value of NCB will be more than 200 for my premimum. The insurance comapnies whcih I hold is Tata Aig

donot cut paste from external editors like word. Also preview post before submitting. Thanks

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st July 2009 at 09:33. Reason: Removing tags
Old 31st July 2009, 08:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ajay: - If you are thinking to claim it in the next month or something, please don't do that, as your claim might not settle as that will be consider as old damages and claim will not be payable.

@swift: - It's better you are not claiming as you are saving both money and NCB Right?

Last edited by rjvora_2000 : 31st July 2009 at 08:52.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:06   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrazak View Post
The shop is located GM Palya and the name of the shop is Das garage. He has done a pretty good painting and denting work, the colour has exactly matched with the rest of the body.
Razak,

Can you post a few pics of the completed work?

Thanks,
gpa
Old 31st July 2009, 12:46   #15
BHPian

AFIK the insurance surveyour will go through the description of the incident/accident the way you describe it on the insurance claim form,then he will compare that to the extent of damage on the car , then based on his deductions he will come to a conclusion if it is a "genuine claim" or not. If there are 2 or more visible damaged portions claimed for he decides if he would entertain the claim or not.As you will also mention the date of accident they usually look for telltale signes like rust to determine the actual tentative date.(if you delay the claim you can mention that you werent able to send the car due to whatever reason-health or travel etc
It is best to stick to the truth (or as much of it as possible) and file your claim,they are smart and can pick out a flaw easily,also ask when the surveyor would be inspection your car,take time to meet him and explain and be firm that you want the claim processed... works most the time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks