Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 12:17   #16
BHPian

Thanks all for inputs!! It's ICICI Lombard Insurance. I'll ask my SIL to sign the forms and claim, canceling the sale taking advance back or whatever.

So, car and insurance both will be in my SIL's name.

Let me check these and get back.

Please throw your inputs more!!
Old 20th May 2009, 12:27   #17
BANNED

There is a supreme court judgement - the insurance company is liable even if the vehicle is sold and insurance is not transferred. If they insist on proof of the judgment, tell them that you will show it to the consumer court; not the insurance company. There IS a judgement, unfortunately, I am not a lawyer, and cannot give more details, sorry. When you go to consumer court, your lawyer would know, or be in a better position to find out.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

BackSeat. The reference to the supreme court got me googling

This is what I found
NATIONAL CONSUMER DISPUTES REDRESSAL COMMISSION
Quote:
On transfer of a vehicle, the benefits under the policy in force will automatically accrue to the new owner. The bonus/malus already applicable for the policy would continue until expiry of the policy. On expiry or cancellation of the policy, bonus/malus will apply as per the new owner’s entitlement.
If the transferee wants to change the policy in his name, it may be done on getting evidence of sale and a proposal form duly completed. The old certificate of insurance must be surrendered to the insurance company and a new certificate of insurance can be issued by collecting a fee of Rs.15/-. If the old certificate is not surrendered, a declaration is to be taken from the new owner before issuing a new certificate.

Quote:
In the present case, Petitioner purchased Maruti van from his original owner on 31.5.1995. The original owner had taken insurance policy for a sum of Rs.1,40,000/- for a period between 3rd August 1994 and 2nd August, 1995. Unfortunately, within five days of its purchase, i.e. on 4.6.1995 when the Complainant alongwith his family was coming from Varanasi to Muzaffarpur, the said vehicle met with an accident on the way of Muzaffarpur at Village Moharrampur P.S. Bihta, Dist. Patna in which the said vehicle was totally damaged. Thereafter, the information regarding the accident was given to the Patna Regional Office of the Insurance Company. The Insurance Company appointed a Surveyor who assessed the loss. However, as the amount was not paid to the Complainant, the Complainant approached the Consumer District Forum, Muzaffarpur by filing Complaint Case No.187/1996. By order dated 16.9.1997, the District Forum allowed the complaint and directed the Insurance Company to reimburse a sum of Rs.1,40,000/- with interest @ 8% p.a. with further direction to pay Rs.5,000/- as compensation and costs.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:21   #19
BANNED

Bblost links please. Especially the 2nd quote, looks like a summary of the trial proceedings by an appellate authority. Please look a the last few paragraph for what the authority actually decided.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
It's ICICI Lombard Insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm sure this is one of the private insurance companies like ICICI Lombard. They usually try these stunts to avoid making payments.
See I guessed right. Never trust those cheats. Don't let them get away with it. Fight till you get your money.
Old 20th May 2009, 14:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Bblost links please. Especially the 2nd quote, looks like a summary of the trial proceedings by an appellate authority. Please look a the last few paragraph for what the authority actually decided.
The link is there in my earlier post.
Just above the quote

Reproduced here. Remove spaces.
http:// www . consumercom.nic.in / RP55602.htm
Old 20th May 2009, 14:55   #22
BHPian

A clear case of cheating by the insurance firm. As far as I know, any one with a valid driving license can drive any one's car and in case of accident, the owner can claim the insurance.

The reason I am quite sure about this as my car is bought on a company lease (wife's organization) and I did claim insurance as the incident occurred when I was driving the car.

Unlike in the US, where in we have to add the additional driver and buy insurance for the additional driver. In India, there isn't any such rule.

Fight it out and take to consumer court.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is a Business of ICICI and RELIANCE Quote lower premium and Reject the claims.
Old 20th May 2009, 21:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
This is a Business of ICICI and RELIANCE Quote lower premium and Reject the claims.
These two are India's biggest CHORS. I have always advised people to boycott them. Everyone please spread the word around everywhere about the tactics of these companies. Jaago Grahak Jaago!
Old 21st May 2009, 08:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
These two are India's biggest CHORS. I have always advised people to boycott them. Everyone please spread the word around everywhere about the tactics of these companies. Jaago Grahak Jaago!
Your thoughts and my thoughts are 100% on same lines when it comes to this topic.
Old 30th May 2009, 10:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Thanks all for inputs!! It's ICICI Lombard Insurance. I'll ask my SIL to sign the forms and claim, canceling the sale taking advance back or whatever.

So, car and insurance both will be in my SIL's name.

Let me check these and get back.

Please throw your inputs more!!
Any update on your claim?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks