Team-BHP - Smart Card instead of RTO RC book
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Smart Card instead of RTO RC book (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/66552-smart-card-instead-rto-rc-book.html)

My new Spark has a smart card for the RC book which has all the details printed on it. Now the hypothecation to the bank is also printed on the card. However when ever I finish off my loan how would the text on the card be reprinted. Well I guess never. The card probably will updated with the new information but the original hypothecation information will always be printed. So what do people do to remove this hypothecation information from their cards once the car loan is paid off?

I think you will have to get a new card once you complete the repayment of your loan.

If we are going to get new cards for any change in information to RTO, I guess this whole purpose of the smart card is defeated.

OT - Can I get a smart card based RC in exchange of my old RC "book"?

This is a great initiative by the RTO
Hope they introduce a similar system for us in Karnataka too as well as the other parts of India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantgandhi (Post 1510156)
OT - Can I get a smart card based RC in exchange of my old RC "book"?

Yes. Recently my cars ownership was changed from my company name to my name and the RC book was replaced with the smart card. So i guess (not sure though) that RTOs are phasing the books with the cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1510304)
Hope they introduce a similar system for us in Karnataka too as well as the other parts of India.

Shankar,

It is very much introduced here! I got my RC as a card.

Smart card based RC book is already here in Gujarat since Feb 2002. Its optional one. We also get an A4 size print out of the data on card which is very useful for keeping 'paper record'. For HPA entry, smart card is compulsory. Once your loan is paid up, entry is removed from the chip but not from the card, but we get the new print out with latest entry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 1509943)
Now the hypothecation to the bank is also printed on the card. However when ever I finish off my loan how would the text on the card be reprinted. Well I guess never. The card probably will updated with the new information but the original hypothecation information will always be printed. So what do people do to remove this hypothecation information from their cards once the car loan is paid off?

I just got the smart card for my car that i re-registered in Bangalore (transferred from pune). They looted me by 1500 bucks (i had to go through the touts since i had other important work to do). There is no hypothication information printed in the card (i still have 3 months to complete the EMI cycle). They told me its stored in the data base and will be deleted once you present the clearance certificate from your bank and paying a prescribed fee.

But here is the funny part - the RTO guys advice me to keep a laminated copy of the card and leave the original back home. Now what is the point having a smart card then :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1510304)

Smart cards are being issued in place of RC books since many years in Chandigarh and Delhi.

At Chandigarh RC smartcard is issued the same day the file is submitted hence no waiting for months unlike other RTOs.

^^ @ srikanths1 -
this is what most of us would be doing anyways.
it is as good a process as having a copy of the RC book in the car and keeping the original at home.

very important to have the original with you at all times, incase the vehicle is stolen or someone makes away with just the smart card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 1509943)
My new Spark has a smart card for the RC book which has all the details printed on it. Now the hypothecation to the bank is also printed on the card. However when ever I finish off my loan how would the text on the card be reprinted. Well I guess never. The card probably will updated with the new information but the original hypothecation information will always be printed. So what do people do to remove this hypothecation information from their cards once the car loan is paid off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 1509949)
I think you will have to get a new card once you complete the repayment of your loan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanths1 (Post 1577411)
There is no hypothication information printed in the card (i still have 3 months to complete the EMI cycle). They told me its stored in the data base and will be deleted once you present the clearance certificate from your bank and paying a prescribed fee.

Same is with my smartcard, got two days ago. No information has been given on the card about hypothication cancellation. I submitted my RC book for hypothication cancellation at Yeshwanthpur RTO. They charged me Rs 250 for smartcard and Rs 100 for hypothication cancellation. I hope they must have updated their database.

while registering we had the option of choosing a smart card or the RC book. What is "smart" about the smart card? Does it mean that with the chip, the info on the car can be accessed? Wonder what is the major advantage of this new system...wish like that in the US they can upload traffic offenses also and those who cross a certain limit need to pay 30-40% more for insurance - that would mean idiots who jump signals at the drop of a hat are in for a nasty surprise and would think before they jump at the red sign..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 1739345)
... What is "smart" about the smart card? Does it mean that with the chip, the info on the car can be accessed?

Smart cards store info inside the chip, rather than what you see printed outside. It requires Smartcard readers to read/edit what's stored. Just imagine having to wait for a hell lot of documents while changing the registration (migrating to a different state et al.), compared to waiting for a few minutes in front of the officer who will update the data after verifying it over a networked database. Though not yet implemented, this has immense potential in making things easy for the common man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 1739345)
... in the US they can upload traffic offenses also and those who cross a certain limit need to pay 30-40% more for insurance - that would mean idiots who jump signals at the drop of a hat are in for a nasty surprise and would think before they jump at the red sign..

I would love to see that kind of surprises happen to the bikers and auto rickshaw drivers in Chennai, who, for the last ten seconds or so before the timer at a signal goes green, go colourblind and mistake the red light for green.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 1739392)
Smart cards store info inside the chip, rather than what you see printed outside. It requires Smartcard readers to read/edit what's stored. Just imagine having to wait for a hell lot of documents while changing the registration (migrating to a different state et al.), compared to waiting for a few minutes in front of the officer who will update the data after verifying it over a networked database. Though not yet implemented, this has immense potential in making things easy for the common man.

I would love to see that kind of surprises happen to the bikers and auto rickshaw drivers in Chennai, who, for the last ten seconds or so before the timer at a signal goes green, go colourblind and mistake the red light for green.

well going by history- we may not see the convenience of this for many years...it will only be a smart card with no real benefits...hope i am wrong
As for last 10 seconds...at some signals here -especially where you turn right and the straight moving traffic coming on the left- they just turn color blind totally...keep on going straight with no stops..they surely need this surprise..even more- maybe have the vehicle lifted off from their home...