Team-BHP - How to register a new car on your own - Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   How to register a new car on your own - Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/69043-how-register-new-car-your-own-bangalore.html)

MODS: I have posted a new thread as this is a new topic, have asked before doing so in another post

Hi Folks
I went ahead and opted for a registration on my OWN in Bangalore. I was not at all interested in paying the charge to the dealer.
Its really sad at how we are paying for our own ignorance and promoting bribe etc.
Please use this to go ahead and opt for your own registration.
Some imp points
1. If you are paying full amount, its easier, else you need to get some more docs from finance co which i am not sure about
2.For a temporary reg the dealer will say 1000 rs- HE IS CHEATING YOU:Frustrati. Its only about 300 rs Fee- ASK HIM- for what is the rest of the money? Damn i did not ask and saw later...Crooks!!!

STEPS:
Tell the dealer you will be doing it yourself and he is supposed to give you the following
1. Sale Certificate
2. Tax Invoice- Original
3. Form 20
4.Temporary Registration Number
5. Road Worthiness Certificate( PUC-Original)
Kindly visit the following location to see ALL DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
http://rto.kar.nic.in/- RTO Services- New Vehicle Registration
You need to get the following ON YOUR OWN
1. Address Proof( see what all docs qualify)
2. PAN CARD Copy
3. Three Photos
4. Form 14
Now you are ready to go:( ALL THIS REFERS TO INDIRANAGAR RTO)

1. Fill up all the forms beforehand at home. Clearly see what all you need to fill and where to sign

2. Ensure you have all the documents from the dealer. Make copies of all documents you have got

3. Take a paper file and arrange the documents in the following order4. Get the amount of DD for Road Tax from the dealer. Ideally its 12.3% of the invoice( not the RETAIL invoice but the TAX Invoice) The DD should be in favour of RTO BANGALORE. Make it ahead and carry it with you

5. Now here is a tricky part. The file needs to be examined by the officer sitting inside and to reach him you got to enter from the back side or get the file to him. We were first not allowed but then my wife knows Kannada and seeing the lady we were allowed.
While we were figuring this out, we saw the Hyundai guy coolly walk in and give his bunch of files to the same guy.( power of money!) When we told him to give our file- he was like- do it yourself( and obviously not said but cause you did not pay me...)

6. Once the officer sees the file, he will just sign a few things( he was nice to arrange the papers for us- nice guy) and then you can pay the DD and get tax paid challan. I think you can pay it before also, not sure of this but most probably and then attach the challan copy in the file.
You also have to pay the fee (Rs 400) for the reg+smart card.

7. Now you need to go to ROOM 7 and find Mr venkatesh( the inspector)

8. Get your vehicle down in front and he will come and see it

9. Below the seat there is the chassis no- you need to make a pencil print on the form which he will tell you( do not rem but its Form 21 i think).Its a PAIN to do this and mind you the files that come from the Dealer- NONE OF THIS IS DONE(physical inspection etc etc)
I would suggest- do it BEFORE HAND only- just check what form you need to get it on.

10. Go to the inspector in Room 6 now- he will see it and sign it

11. Go back to Mr Venkatesh in Room 7- give the file to him

12. He will again sign)( oh no not again!) on the pencil print and you need to go back to Room 8 to the original person( the nice guy who helped us). He is a bald buy who we referred to as Taklu uncle:) -dunno his name

13. He will tell you to come back after 2-3 days, you carry one copy of tax paid receipt with you and walk away
This will not take more than 2 hours if you do in the morning. We went at 1:00 and completed by 3:30. We went late because of the idiot dealer who forgot to give us the original tax invoice and sent it to us late.

What we learnt
1. None asked for bribe- we were expecting it but since they get more than they want in the form of 100's of registrations where people pay 4-5K per car to the dealer and they all get a cut from it. This was evident cause the hyundai rep who came with the files was clearly unwilling to help and unhappy that we were doing on our own( and taking some of his money away which is right fully ours anways)
2. You need to be patient
3. You NEED TO KNOW KANNADDA and talk to them- else probs
4. Need to arrange all papers properly and in the paper file
5. Carry glue stick,pencil and pen:)
6. Carry 400 rs at least and DD before hand(dealer can tell how much Road Tax)
7. Avoid lunch time
8. Keep saying thanks- people feel happy and cooperate more
9. Do not expect the lady in Room 8 who collects money to be nice, she is FRUSTRATED!!!!( young girl with specs)

2 days later we just walked in and collected the smart card, thanked all and felt GREAT at not having promoted a bad practice and paying for something that its not worth at all

But here is my message folks
STOP Paying for something you need not and is expected from you
The ONLY reason we pay is that physical inspection is not done if we go with the dealer- imagine if the RTO folks have to inspect 100 vehicles daily!!!( which is their job but the systems r sooo messed up)

We are paying UNNECCESSARY MONEY TO PROMOTE BAD PRACTICES.
Please refer this and PM me- and STOP PAYING THE CROOKS( Dealers, Corrupt RTO people)
please:

PS:If you do not have a local address proof, or do not have the time to do this as you are too busy, or are just plain and simple lazy or have too much money to give away and feel that the folks are underpaid and need help- no option, Pay up then.

Excellent job! clap: It's an eye opener for lot of us!

Congratulations on your new car!

-CSR

That was excellent . Tell this to some common ppl , what you here is.....why all head ache , sooo much paperworkaaa ? ,just 4K , let them do it .

You dint mention about insurance ? ,Can you register without insurance ?

Good effort mkh, not all can go through this much.

I would rather insist that the dealer go through all this as part of the customer service and pay him only the usual charges, not a paise more.

Inspiring work there Mkh :thumbs up

May i know the difference of amount that one would be able to save approximately by going through their own registration process and can we choose any customized numbers as we do from dealers ?

Recently I registered the new car completely on my own and it was easy and smooth. The guildelines and documents required were listed in the RTO office notice board itself. This was at Karunagappally RTO in Kerala (KL-23) Got the car number that day itself, from their website - they publish that in their website everyday. The originals will be sent to your home by registered post. No third parties involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 1574831)
MODS: I have posted a new thread as this is a new topic, have asked before doing so in another post.......
- no option, Pay up then.

Thanks a lot. Will follow your advice for my next purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1575078)
Recently I registered the new car completely on my own and it was easy and smooth. The guildelines and documents required were listed in the RTO office notice board itself. This was at Karunagappally RTO in Kerala (KL-23) Got the car number that day itself, from their website - they publish that in their website everyday. The originals will be sent to your home by registered post. No third parties involved.

Max, that is the reason why kerala is 100% literate with full functioning website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by challa (Post 1575053)

May i know the difference of amount that one would be able to save approximately by going through their own registration process and can we choose any customized numbers as we do from dealers ?

Dealer asks 5500 as deliver charge. They cannot quote registration fee as that would clearly invite consumer court. If they say delivery charge- you cannot hold it against them. I saved 4000 rs, but i guess if i paid 400 for temp number would have saved another 500 rs. Not sure about number you want specially...maybe you can ask at RTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1575021)
Good effort mkh, not all can go through this much.

I would rather insist that the dealer go through all this as part of the customer service and pay him only the usual charges, not a paise more.

he will not agree- i asked N number of times...its hardly any effort tho- took total of 2 hours only...its more information than effort. I am not sure if my post sounds as if i had to take a lot of effort- IT was NO SWEAT at all in fact, it was EASY- i suggest ALL to do it esp if they are paying full cash to buy the car...we think it maybe too much cause of the mental block( which i also had)...RTO guys were v cooperative and nowhere none hassled us..

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 1575004)
That was excellent . Tell this to some common ppl , what you here is.....why all head ache , sooo much paperworkaaa ? ,just 4K , let them do it .

You dint mention about insurance ? ,Can you register without insurance ?

No- dealer HAS to do insurance before giving car out so no hassles for that, if you are doing on own- no probs, after insurance go and do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by challa (Post 1575053)

You can have customized numbers even if you are applying on your own.
These are the charges in Hyderabad.

i) On payment of fee of Rs.50,000 (Rupees fifty thousand only) for any one of the numbers l, 9, 999, 9999.

(ii) On payment of fee of Rs.30,000 (Rupees thirty thousand only) for anyone of the numbers 99, 333, 555, 666, 777,888,2222,3333, 4444 , 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888.

(iii) On payment of fee of Rs.20,000 (Rupees twenty thousand only) for anyone of the numbers 123, 222, 369, 444, 567,786,1111, 1116, 3366, 3456, 4455.

(iv) On payment of fee of Rs.10,000 (Rupees ten thousand only) for anyone of the numbers 3, 5, 6. 7, 111, 234, 306, 405, 789, 818, 909, 1188,1234, 1314, 1818, 1899, 2277, 2772, 2345, 2727, 2799, 3636, 3663, 3699, 4545, 4554, 4567, 4599, 5678, 6336, 6633, 6789, 7227, 7722, 8118, 8811, 9009, 9099.

(v) On payment of fee of Rs.5,000/-(Rupees five thousand only) for anyone of the numbers other than those mentioned against the clauses (i) (ii) (iii) and (iv) above in respect of all vehicles except two wheelers for which a fee of Rs.2,000/- shall be charged. When there is application for allotment for four wheelers and two wheelers for the same number, priority shall be given to four wheeler applicants

I observed that an attendant was taking 2500 for customized numbers. He gave paper of current numbers being processed and asked to choose among them

mkh,

Well done and good luck.

-Hdi

Thanks for letting us know. It certainly is a mental-block accompanied by little knowledge which keeps us away from the govt agencies. Lets hope they improve and so do we :)

Deqr MKH- great job, really an eye opener.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 1651693)
Deqr MKH- great job, really an eye opener.

Thanks man, hope people can make some use of this info...

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadra (Post 1651608)
Thanks for letting us know. It certainly is a mental-block accompanied by little knowledge which keeps us away from the govt agencies. Lets hope they improve and so do we :)

Yes - some cases however we cannot just get our work done, but i see a vast change in many departments esp here in bangalore....wish we had a revolution for min 5 years against weeding out corruption...

Even I want to register my car on my own, i want to do it in Rajajinagar RTO, anyone has done it?

It is horrible that maruti is charging 5500, if it was 2000, can understand and just pay it up. Really we must write to maruti and tell them, please help consumers instead of increasing corruption in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 1574831)
New Vehicle Registration
You need to get the following ON YOUR OWN
1. Address Proof( see what all docs qualify)
2. PAN CARD Copy
3. Three Photos
4. Form 14

I recently registered my brother's car under Kayamkulam, Alappuzha dist; Kerala. They did not ask for photographs. Documents required was attested identity and address proof foe which I carried the passport? May be different states have different regulations. Anyway nice eye opener. We were paying almost 1000\- to 1500\- for temp registration.