Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 20:26   #1
BHPian

Insurance Claim with Maruti Insurance through MSM Chennai!

Hi All,

While driving in a ghat section few weeks back, my swift dzire ran over a small boulder in a hairpin bend. It was a dark night around 9.00 PM when the incident happened. I could hear a banging noise and the stone scraped the underbody of the car. After that I drove my car and in the next morning when inspected the damage I could see a dent in the underbody frame that’s it. During my second service (5000 KM) at MSM the service advisor noticed it and told me about the same.
Last week I brought the car to Tirupati and while coming back a stray dog suddenly came in my way and I managed to apply my brakes hard, the car swerved a little and the car's left running body (metal frame below the doors and between the mud flaps) scraped against a road side stone. In this melee the dog was slightly hit but escaped unhurt . Two days after this incident, while driving to office I noticed the AC is not working i.e. hot air coming off from the vents. And also the temperature gauge was touching redline mark even at a speed of 80 KMPH. The fan was running for about 5-10 mins even the car is turned off.

I brought the car immediately to MSM, Chennai and they inspected the car and told me that there is no coolant in the radiator as the coolant tank's knob is broken due to the impact. My car was recently registered so I didn't get the RC book and the body shop advisor insisted the original RC and didn't accept my temporary RC. Fortunately I got the RC by the next day from the RTO office and produced the same in person at MSM. Before going to MSM I called the MSM person many times to ask any more documents required but he didn't attend my call not even a single time. Alas, when I went there the insurance surveyor who was available there insisted me to bring the temporary registration documents! I already waited two days for this process and their lethargy drove me wait for another day. They didn't access the damage and not even opened the car for giving me a quote.

Today morning I got a call from MSM saying that the AC condenser and the radiator had to be replaced along with the front bumper (even though it had mild scratches which are hardly noticeable) and I had to pay 50% of the amount for the plastics which are roughly 4000 Rs. He said, the damage in the running body will not be taken up for the claim and will be taken up separately after one month. There was no reason given for this, and he said the radiator and the Bumper is plastic so i have to pay.

I am skeptical about above assessment of the damage and the consecutive claim, so I need your advice here.

Here are my few doubts:

Is there any time frame within which a claim should be applied for? In my case I waited for two weeks to get my RC books to process the claim.

Is the radiator is made of plastic and should I have to pay 50% of the cost for this?

Why the MSM is not taking up the entire body shop work in a single claim?

Last edited by ForeRunner : 12th March 2010 at 20:27. Reason: format
Old 12th March 2010, 21:49   #2
p$p

Yes, plastic/rubber/nylon parts (battery & airbags) attract 50% depreciation. Damage to the running body should have been taken up concurrently. I don't understand the reasoning.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:49   #3
BHPian

Try asking some other service station also, my experience with Maruti Service Masters, Delhi has been so bad that I will never trust them. They keep suggesting un-needed changes and main concern is squeezing the customer.

As far as running repairs go, they are repaired anytime under insurance, dont know why they want to delay it. Might have something to do with their monthly targets (not sure).
Old 17th March 2010, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Here are my few doubts:

Is there any time frame within which a claim should be applied for? In my case I waited for two weeks to get my RC books to process the claim.

Is the radiator is made of plastic and should I have to pay 50% of the cost for this?

Why the MSM is not taking up the entire body shop work in a single claim?
Service station guy is playing with you. Change him if possible. I don't think radiator is made of plastic but still let some expert comment on it.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:45   #5
BHPian

Radiator Cannot be plastic. Probably the reserve tank is made of Plastic. Have a look at it and you can also confirm on your own
Old 17th March 2010, 16:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try Kapico in MMDA colony.
They will do great job in claiming insurance.
Their's body shop is near to Olympia Tech Park,Ekkatuthangal.
If you want any contact details,Please PM me.

What is the insurance company and from which dealer you got your car?

Last edited by aks_karthik : 17th March 2010 at 16:49.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Service station guy is playing with you. Change him if possible. I don't think radiator is made of plastic but still let some expert comment on it.
Radiator is not made of plastic, but some part of it is. And it is counted as a plastic part by insurance companies, there is nothing one can do about it.

If you think that front bumper doesn't need replacement, ask them not to. And get it worked upon from some outside denter/painter.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 18th March 2010, 10:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Forerunner - Where're you put up in Chennai? Let me know if you need any help with MSM guys
Old 6th September 2011, 09:55   #9
BANNED

Re: Insurance Claim with Maruti Insurance through MSM Chennai!

Sorry to post on this old thread.
I don't know whether this is the right place.
My queries relates to it though.

I recently got an ALTO for my wife and some crazy auto guy hit it from the back and ran away from the spot.

The right back panel is damaged and the right brake light is off the fitting.
- will require tinkering, painting of the panel, possible change of brake light.

I have booked for service tomorrow at MSM Guindy Chennai.

What all documents would i need to take?
The car is insured under IFFCO TOKIO
Roughly how many days will i be made to run to the service center/insurance office?
I am a person with no time during the day whatsoever.

Or should i just pay and get done with it.
Old 18th September 2011, 00:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dear members.
Please remember the following points before you take the car for claim.
If you feel the body work and mechanical work will cost above 40k them better get a police certificate.
if it cannot be driven you can Tow it to your nearest MASS but get the towing charges bill.
Submit original RC,
Original Licence, Police certificate,
Towing bill and
the claim form.
The rest will be taken care by the service station.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:01   #11
BHPian

Recently I had an accident to my 3 month old i20 ASTA CRDi, where a dog hit the front bumper and AC condensor, Radiator along with front bumper and bull bar (inside) had to be replaced. The insurance guy had updated me that the radiator comes under the plastic parts as its covered by plastic on the top and bottom, and they cannot count it as a metal part. Also, they didnot pay me off the labour charges in full saying that the schedule of charges that ICICI Lombard is having and the service center are not matching.

My insurance is ICICI Lombard, and I am going to Bharti AXA with full cover next year (no depreciation/50% off on plastic parts), as my colleague who had a similar incident has got almost 95% of the overall bill covered by insurance.

Last edited by rishie : 18th September 2011 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks