Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Ritz engine seized post-accident. Possible to claim from insurance?

Hi,

This is gill posting a blog for one of my friends who has recently bought a RITZ(31st March'2010) in gurgaon from Pasco Automobiles. He hit the divider due to rash driving of a car next to him....incidently damaging him RIM and Tyre. In shock he did not switch off the engine while his oil tank leaked. Leading to engine seizure. To add to the misery his bumper got damaged by the TOWing vehicle. When he landed at pasco and had a word with the insurance people they outrightly said NO as this was not an accident vehicle. They are ready to replace the bumper rim and tyre however they refused to cover engine damages.
PASCO has quoted 50000 RS. to my friend who is in a soup thinking why was the insurance required at all if all they were worth was a 3000 Rs. Bumper, 1500 rim and 3000rs tyre.
Be ware of getting you insurance done from ICIC lombard and also purchasing cars from PASCO automobiles(Namely a giant dealer for Maruti in Gurgaon) as both being the most un co-operative people when you hit the Tee.
Can any of you guide me/my friend as to what is the legal or judicious way out of this.
Old 4th July 2010, 21:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ask your friend to lodge a complaint with the Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority (IRDA). Their contact information can be found here: Welcome to IRDA. I don't think Pasco is at fault in this, ICICI Lombard has been known time and again to refuse to pay up on claims on frivolous grounds.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:20   #3
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr. Gill,

As far as I know the claim will not be payable. This comes under the 'consequential damages'. The damage to the engine has happened consequential to the accident and is not payable. Driving the car after the accident has occurred and the engine seizing due the lack of oil is a damage which has happened post the accident. The fact that the engine was running immediately after the accident indicates that hitting the divider caused damage to the sump and oil to leak but the engine had not seized.

Please read the policy document, I am sure it will be there. Once you meet with an accident you need to assess the damage and ensure that there is no chance of consequential damage. If you are unsure you must opt to get the car towed only, never drive.

Thanks

KPS
Old 5th July 2010, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

In a way what KPS said is right.

But again, be very careful with these private players, they ONLY see these lines to make sure they can ignore a claim.

You also have an option of opting for another surveyor to re-evaluate the damages.

Good luck.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:22   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your friend should have paid more attention to the oil pressure warning light on the dashboard. This is precisely why we encourage accidental cars to be towed to the garage. Do NOT drive, as there can be internal damage that's not visible over a casual check.

As others have mentioned, I doubt any insurance company would cover these kind of losses. He has no option but to swallow a bitter pill and pay up.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Gill in my opinion your friend must try for getting the claim since you are talking of Rs. 50,000/- Please approach the insurance ombudsmen once you get the claim rejection letter from insurance company.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why would anyone keep the engine running after such a hit? Strange. The first thing I did when my car was hit was to pull over, and stop the engine and get out. Yes, I too was shocked but had the presence of mind to shut off the engine.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th July 2010 at 18:05.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Hope your friend is in good health. Unfortunately engine seizure, whether consequential or otherwise, is not covered in any of the insurance policies (except bajaj allianz). Though ICICI is notorious in claims rejection, your friend might as well try again and also go to IRDA. But I dont think the claim would be valid.

Although it is understandable that under shock a person might not be able to react to the situation appropriately, but sometimes such a knee jerk reaction saves life, and engine.

Regards

Dieseling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Hi,

This is gill posting a blog for one of my friends who has recently bought a RITZ(31st March'2010) in gurgaon from Pasco Automobiles. He hit the divider due to rash driving of a car next to him....incidently damaging him RIM and Tyre. In shock he did not switch off the engine while his oil tank leaked. Leading to engine seizure. To add to the misery his bumper got damaged by the TOWing vehicle. When he landed at pasco and had a word with the insurance people they outrightly said NO as this was not an accident vehicle. They are ready to replace the bumper rim and tyre however they refused to cover engine damages.
PASCO has quoted 50000 RS. to my friend who is in a soup thinking why was the insurance required at all if all they were worth was a 3000 Rs. Bumper, 1500 rim and 3000rs tyre.
Be ware of getting you insurance done from ICIC lombard and also purchasing cars from PASCO automobiles(Namely a giant dealer for Maruti in Gurgaon) as both being the most un co-operative people when you hit the Tee.
Can any of you guide me/my friend as to what is the legal or judicious way out of this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks