Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2006, 13:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop : Fiat Doblo making appearance in India?

While whole Indian auto fraternity is busy with Auto Expo, Fiat India seems to be quietly toying around with its practical family car-cum-MUV, Fiat Doblo. The car is reportedly seen in Mumbai and there are good chances that Fiat may finally launch it in India (What about Punto/Panda/Idea?). It is still not clear what engine options (JTD?) are available. But it will be good to keep a close watch on related developments.

Last edited by RX135 : 20th January 2006 at 13:48.
Old 20th January 2006, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Is this a Multipla (and renamed by chance?)
Whatever it is - its frigging UGLY

The Punto is a nice car, not going to be launched here though as I thought Idea/Panda was first in line.
Old 20th January 2006, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wots with the name, btw? Doblo? If ever there was a car with a Bengali sounding name, then this is it.
Old 20th January 2006, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Wots with the name, btw? Doblo? If ever there was a car with a Bengali sounding name, then this is it.
and Punto is more like a Parsi name
Old 20th January 2006, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nope. This is not multipla. It looks odd, but then it's a MUV. Now a days, we have got used to looks of Santro/Wagon-R, which looked plain horrible when they launched these cars. Ditto for NHC! But then of course, the car has to survive long enough on road. (BTW, One cool thing is that, it has sliding doors like Omni).
Old 20th January 2006, 16:24   #6
BHPian

Sliding doors are good , especially in cramped parking slots but you can't deny that a Santro is positively lovely when compared to this ...this thing :-)

Dunno what doblo means, but doble means "double" in Spanish though...
Old 20th January 2006, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

I knew this would come from a Fiat Lover RX135. LOL

Anywayz coming back to topic this looks like a Xerox of the Ugly Rhino Rover.

THis Doblo looks like freaky to me. More of a MUV then anything else. Its damn tall and hence will again be poor in FE and Stability, The Multipla was expected to come 4 years back??? This cant be a Multipla as the Multipla was shorter and had 6 separate seats inside. Three in front and the rest at the rear.
Old 20th January 2006, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat seems hell bent on launching the Doblo to India. They came pretty close to launching this one when they were flying high on the sales charts with the Paliio. I don't know how you guys don't remember this car but I had seen pictures of this MUV in Indian Express sometime in 2002 when Palio was the hottest car around in India. Then Fiat backed out saying there is no market for this one yet. There still isn't. I don't know who does the market research for Fiat. With the Innova in, they should be looking seriously at the Multipla. Anyway, if they want to force this car/MUV on our roads then I hope they have the sense to launch this in cargo versions and target the commercial market too. This car would also make a good ambulance. Light years better then the Omni's we see.
Old 20th January 2006, 23:40   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

They had conducted clinic tests in 2003 for the Doblo. But they scrapped the plans of relaunching the car due to problems at the plant. The car was supposed to be launched 2 years back.
Old 21st January 2006, 00:22   #10
BHPian

Barf is the first word that comes to mind.

Hearse is a close second.

Practical it may be, but in my opinion, this is Fiat's ticket to that tailspin they won't recover from.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks