Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 16:07   #31
BHPian

Re: When the bumper is more than half the front of the car

Let me bring in a different perspective to this discussion.

How about this - the bumpers are designed this way to improve our driving habits. We all agree that the painted plastic bumpers are scratch and damage prone. So to save the bumper (and our pockets) - can we start maintaining proper distance between vehicles on the road and as a consequence improve our driving habit. In the developed world, for city driving it is recommended that the distance between your car and the one in front is such that you can see the rear wheels of the car in front. If we all (the typical Indian drivers who prefer to only see the rear windshield of the car in front) start adhering to this habit, there would be much less slow speed bumper bumps, the manufacturers will make less money as the sale of bumpers will go down, the dealers will make less money as the painting and fitting requirements will reduce.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Let me bring in a different perspective to this discussion.

How about this - the bumpers are designed this way to improve our driving habits. We all agree that the painted plastic bumpers are scratch and damage prone. So to save the bumper (and our pockets) - can we start maintaining proper distance between vehicles on the road and as a consequence improve our driving habit. In the developed world, for city driving it is recommended that the distance between your car and the one in front is such that you can see the rear wheels of the car in front. If we all (the typical Indian drivers who prefer to only see the rear windshield of the car in front) start adhering to this habit, there would be much less slow speed bumper bumps, the manufacturers will make less money as the sale of bumpers will go down, the dealers will make less money as the painting and fitting requirements will reduce.

Forget cars, even when we are in a queue, you will invariably find the person behind you bumping into you. Come on, maintain a reasonable distance, there is no need to stand so close. That habit percolates to car driving also.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:46   #33
BHPian

I believe that bumpers are bumpers. They are supposed to take impact and minimize damage to the car: in terms of money, cosmetics and safety. I dont think many of the explanations that support a bigger bumper are right. The anomaly becomes obviously if the entire car is made like a bumper. In that case, the very usefulness of the bumper is gone. It is not the bumper that is taking the first impact, but the car. So bumper, I think should logically just out in such a way they take the impact, minimize loss and can be repaired cheaply. The bigger the bumper gets, the more costly the repair becomes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks