Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 07:00   #16
BHPian

Re: How legal are these Made to Order Cars

[quote=Nitrous Power;2373325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Fordmanchau"

I know that DC is a design company but all through these years they have modified a lot many cars as their design showcase, so how are the legalities taken care of in that case?

Well in our case, DC Designs informed us regarding the RTO issues at a very preliminary stage. We were told right away that RTO will not approve the car and it will be owner's responsibility to get the changes marked in RC Book. As soon as we were informed regarding this, we dropped the idea.
Well in that case the onus is on the owner to get the approval done, celebrities may be getting it done through the RTO agents. I believe it is simple technique greasing
Old 1st June 2011, 08:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How legal are these Made to Order Cars

According to RTO rules, even a color change without endorsement is illegal! Suffice to say, these "custom cars" - which would mostly have the quality of the Tata Mobile -> Tata Estate conversions from the past, are completely road-illegal.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: How legal are these Made-to-Order Cars

There are procedures to obtain permission from the RTO in case of any vehicle modifications. The hitch is that the RTO is not obliged to give permission. So you may not be permitted to carry out a particular modification.

To give an example, if your car's engine was replaced under warranty the RTO wouldn't have a problem endorsing the same on the RC book. But if you are trying to replace a petrol engine to a diesel one, they are likely to refuse the request.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Guys this is India where we live with "Jugaads" in every day life.

vehicles in india are NOT subject to yearly technical fitness test for roadworthy-ness....

...so build you own Jugaad and keep driving!
Old 8th July 2011, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

vehicles in india are NOT subject to yearly technical fitness test for roadworthy-ness....

What happens if your jugad gets into an accident? Will the insurance company honour any claims at all given that you were driving an illegal vehicle?
Old 8th July 2011, 13:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

I would suggest you go through the Motor Vehicle Act and the various RTO rules so that people are not misguided by such comments.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I would suggest you go through the Motor Vehicle Act and the various RTO rules so that people are not misguided by such comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
What happens if your jugad gets into an accident? Will the insurance company honour any claims at all given that you were driving an illegal vehicle?
it was a sarcastic comment from my side, not meant to encourage people to drive, but to show that "Jugaads" are a way of life in India, and the RTO/Traffic Police does nothing to stop it!

thats why i wrote about we having no yearly technical tests for road worthy-ness of the vehicles.

im sorry if my reply was taken as an ecouragement!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 13:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clarifying it. I really thought of the post as an encouragement, so apologies for the mis-understanding.

Law enforcement being slack, what you say indeed is a reality in many places. However the least we can do is not to engage in such jugaads ourselves and also not to recommend or encourage others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks