Team-BHP - Using an NCR-registered car in bangalore for 3 months?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Using an NCR-registered car in bangalore for 3 months? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/102232-using-ncr-registered-car-bangalore-3-months.html)

Hi All,

As i am going to bangalore for 3 months, i am just wondering what paperwork i needs to do before taking my car to bangalore from Noida.
Please note this is on temporary basis and i will be coming back to Delhi in september.

My Car registration is from Ghaziabad.

Best,
Sachin

Mods note: Thread moved.

chaudharysaab, suggest you go through threads on this section. You'll get your answer.

a. Your wits.
b. a bit of kannada
c. Toll receipts, PUC slip, latest insurance (if in this period) proving you;re from out of town.
d. RBI sanctioned document. Preferably the blue-green variety, though for big problems, the yellow one may suffice.

Since you're going to be in Bangalore just for 3 months, don't bother paying the road tax.

Just carry toll receipts to show that you have just entered in Bangalore.

A letter from your employer stating that you're on short-term deputation will help immensely (although absence of it is also not a problem).

Carry other documents you normally carry with the car (RC, Insurance, PUC).

Besides what others have already mentioned, in case you are getting the car transported, keep the original receipt from the transporter with you which will clearly show the date of transfer. Have not seen the traffic police guys stopping private outside vehicles these days unless you break some rule.

And yes, enjoy the change in weather and experience the Bangy roads !

First and foremost, at any cost, please don't break the traffic rules thereby giving the police a chance to stop you. Lately other state registration cars / bikes are not stopped / fined by the police. They are instructed to fine the vehicles only for the traffic violations they do. Also please make sure you have the transportation receipts / toll receipts handy. You could also search for the articles about the new Karnataka law.

Mr. Praveen Sood is the commissioner of police [traffic] in Bangalore and you might want to go thru the changes he made in the last 1-2 years in Bangalore. And there was an article which clearly mentions that the other state registration cars cannot be fined for the registration issues. So you may want to carry a print out of that. There was even a help-desk number on which his office could be contacted. Also I guess by default, an other state registration car can be used in Bangalore for 6 months.

Lastly, Welcome to Bangalore! :)

@chaudharysaab:
There is a period within which an out of state vehicle can be used inside bangalore without paying road tax. I think it is 3 months-not sure other can correct if I am wrong. You need to keep toll receipts, fuel bills etc to prove that you entered within this period. To my knowledge, there is only option of life time tax after this period. So if you are staying for a very short term, it does not seem worth it.

Upto 3 months you can drive in any state or place without changing the registration, after three months you are advised to take up for change of numbers. If you are in a job which warrants frequent posting / change of job area then certain RTOs (only in certain states) do permit change of numbers by paying file charges and not tax (this facility is there in Andhra Pradesh), but i am not quite sure about Karnataka, maybe you can visit their website and check for further details.

Nothing. Just enjoy your time.

Keep bills from some toll and tell the cops that you are here on temp basis. At max you may have to pay a fine/bribe of 100 bucks. Had you spoken the local language, the cops would've let you go anyway. Since you are an 'outsider' in a state whose govt bodies tends to differentiate between 'locals' and 'outsider's , you have to be careful. Mostly you should be fine.

I was in a similar boat but a permanent one. I had bought a 1982 MERC W123 registered in Bangalore with Registeration no CAP 8228. I am in love with the number and when I asked mumbai RTO whether I can retain the number if I register the car in Mumbai, I was informed that its mandatory to change the number.

The RTO agent guided me to register the car in Bangalore itself on my sisters name (she lives in Bangalore), bring the car to mumbai and pay road tax for Maharashtra. A receipt will be issued for the same and should be produced when stopped. I had the option of paying tax yearly or 10 years.

The amount was coming to a healthy 5000 per year because the car is an import and a 3 liter engine. I also knew that since I am going to retain the number cops will definitely stop the car and once stopped they will always find an issue to make some money. Even if they dont find an issue they will waste my 15 minutes. So I decided not to pay the yearly taxes and pay the police man Rs. 100 every time I am stopped. Unless I am stopped 50 times every year I will save a lot of time and money (though saving money is not a purpose). Dont take me wrong I am against bribes but sometimes you have to be practical. Its been 2 years now I have been stopped 2 times in all and paid an official fine of 300 rs each time (my assumption of 100 was wrong).

In your case you should not worry at all just be prepared to pay a fine in case you are caught and since you are not local you will have to be extra careful dealing with the officer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeshchand (Post 2376846)
If you are in a job which warrants frequent posting / change of job area then certain RTOs (only in certain states) do permit change of numbers by paying file charges and not tax (this facility is there in Andhra Pradesh), but i am not quite sure about Karnataka,

In Karnataka, the central government employees have the option of paying yearly taxes and guess they are assumed to make frequent location changes. Heck, software engineers in service companies shift their bases more often. I for one moved into 3 different states in a span of 1.5 years and was asked to go to the 4th state in the next 6 months. :Frustrati

i also shifted to bangalore from Noida and plan to be here for more than a year.. Can we pay yearly taxes or i have to pay complete road tax and change my number and then when i go back i would have to do the same. Any idea how much would they charge for a Honda City for Jan 2010 model.

The cooling off period in karnataka for registration is 6 months, after which the fine is levied. We had a huge problem when we migrated the vehicle from Mumbai. We were asked to pay life time tax first time around 11826 inclusive of penalty for delayed payment. Than while disposing off the vehicle for exchange again a demand of 13800 was raised. I believe the concerned clerk made an error of calculation. This was huge shocker. Don t take chances visit the RTO office and check out will be my advice with the PRO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom (Post 2377302)
i also shifted to bangalore from Noida and plan to be here for more than a year.. Can we pay yearly taxes or i have to pay complete road tax and change my number and then when i go back i would have to do the same. Any idea how much would they charge for a Honda City for Jan 2010 model.

I don't think there's a scheme to pay yearly road taxes there. You can check the RTO website. Considering that road taxes are the highest in Karnataka, life time road tax would be over Rs1L + penalty if you can't convince them that you moved recently (well within the allowed period of time).

hi,just make sure u have all the right papers insurance et al.you will be surprised at the number of outside state cars in blore.Unless you are moving permanently,no paperwork is required.and yes...welcome to bengaluru :)