Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 12:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why does "What car" matter so much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Aspiration is good, it drives the economy and growth. It is good that all of your colleagues changed to sedans from a hatch, so many people got jobs as a result, money rolled hands.
Aspiration and ambition work well in motivating people to acheive more and work better (well most of the times!) This is fine until it reaches the stage of obsession where people turn to bad credit/ fraud/ criminal activities to keep up a lifestyle that they cannot afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
But I tell you what, I was more happy when I got my first videogame in 1996 then when I got say an iphone few months ago.. Despite the fact that we have more, those smaller yet inner happiness is no longer there. You are happy for a day or 2 and then you are back to busy/stressful life.. may be thats just me.
Probably because our happiness at that time was not dependent solely on the device. We devoted full attention to all activities as we did them of our liking/ passion. It could have been sport/ gardening/ DIY/ name your activity. These days, we work only to earn money to support our lifestyle. I for one, dont care as much about the final product in my organisation as I did a few years ago. Perhaps we are programming ourselves into dissociating from what we do and only concentrate on the money part of the results. Just my $ 0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot View Post
So not telling my wife, I went on to see one segment up cars. And I liked them. Polo: Wow, that’s what a car should look like (learn wagonr learn). Figo disel: WOW chiller AC, (silly i10), wow space. I20: WOW instrumentation, WOW for inside fit and finish. Ritz: surprisingly good feel inside, ummm back is a bit odd. Jazz: WOW everything. Punto: What beautiful curves.

Alas, that’s not going to be. So in-spite of all reasoning of brain I AM going to buy a segment up car. Just because they feel better.

Is it so wrong then to dream a little big, and get a little more?
A very interesting point here. IMHO, with all our aspirations, ambition (and investments) we do expect to move higher up the ladder than stay where we are. I intend no disrespect to our elders/ previous generation, but it is the truth of the Indian economy today.
The world truly is our oyster and many of us work/ travel abroad and expect to earn substantially more in the next few years than we do today. If we dont get what we expect in our current organisation, some of us start hopping jobs. I dont think there are many of us who stay in the same organisation for even 5 years at a stretch. This results in us planning for a lifestyle that we expect to be in 3 or 5 years down the line and start moving towards that goal. How can we announce that we have "arrived"? In no order of priority:
- House: location/ size/ features
- Second/ third/ nth house
- Cars
- International holidays
- Clothes/ accesories
- Any other I may have missed

Which of these can one use to announce in different locations in town to random strangers without opening his/ her mouth? I guess thats my definition of snob value

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th July 2011 at 12:14.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 15:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot View Post
Also a car is not a car but a dream that gives you wings. In 80s a car was the dream, It didn’t matter what kind, or what colour. Not only in India but world over. But now in 2011, Indian people have been shown the illicit dope dreams of consumerist luxury products. Once the drug has been given…normal appears so mundane. Is it so wrong then to dream a little big, and get a little more?

That was one of the most beautifully constructed posts here, doctor. Yes, I think we think with our hearts and ultimately buy with our brain. So when we think -we think prestige, but when buying, we weigh our wallets also and decide whether we really need this. Ultimately, we end up buying Figos, Altises; and prefer i20 over Jazz, Laura over Yeti. Cars that have prestige to go with wallet friendliness. We, as a country, would have arrived, when we buy cars like we would buy a washing machine or a refrigerator
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 16:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
We, as a country, would have arrived, when we buy cars like we would buy a washing machine or a refrigerator
Very well said my friend. But for that to happen, we need to develop as human beings first. Otherwise, this will be a never ending cycle with the game then shifting to middle class families trying to outdo each other by buying 320d and the likes.

Call me cynical, but my bet is that we won't be able to see such a change in our life time at least.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:58   #34
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
How can we announce that we have "arrived"? In no order of priority:
- House: location/ size/ features
- Second/ third/ nth house
- Cars
- International holidays
- Clothes/ accesories
- Any other I may have missed
I grew up in a proper metro city. In my experience, there were no shortage of show offs in 70s-80s. What I understand from my grandmom, there were no dearth of show offs in 40s-50s also. Only means were limited.

In fact I am of the opinion that the current money-earning generation is more focused, more self-aware. Dont you think our generation is more go-getter than anytime ever? Yes, materialistic for sure, but I dont think over the top. Yet. Agree, the danger of over-leveraging is present. But I dont think that kind of a thing will ever come to pass as we will never become a US or a Europe. Core values doesnt change so fast.

Frankly I dont to want to announce to anyone that we have arrived. We just want to lead a simple and good life. My hero is Michael Douglas and Thomas Crown.

So yes, a good car in the mean time is fine.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Frankly I dont to want to announce to anyone that we have arrived. We just want to lead a simple and good life. My hero is Michael Douglas and Thomas Crown.

So yes, a good car in the mean time is fine.
Very true dot, and well said. I agree this applies for those among us who have their head screwed on their shoulders and feet planted on teh ground. But we also have those who have their heads (and noses) in the clouds; this is not specific to a generation or a culture or a nation but to all people.
I have seen enough show offs outside India as well. It is just that this is now accessible and possible for a greater % of people in India today than yesterday (as you have aptly stated)

I am sorry if my statement came out looking differently. the only intention to quote you was to link to the same topic
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 22:44   #36
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am sorry if my statement came out looking differently. the only intention to quote you was to link to the same topic
Oh, come on brother! Now you are embarrassing me!

I think we are talking about the same thing, only two sides of the coin, that is rolling in one direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks