Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 21:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why is After Sales Support such an important criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Well.. for me, the car's performance, comfort, build quality, reliability, handling is more important than the service. You can get the service done from anywhere but cant get all the above aspects added later on. There are a lot of local mechanics who do a far better job than the Authorized mechanics. What is the use of buying a car that has excellent service but lacks in everything else and isn't a pleasure to drive. I would rather worry about the entire year of driving the car than one day of service!
There are people for whom service does not matter. For example, those who intend to dispose off their cars in short order - would not really bother to go the extra mile for better service.
And then there are those of us, who hang on to the car, until rusting body panels force them to part with it. For them, getting it serviced - whether at the dealer or at the local mechanic is a painstaking process.
Who's right? No one.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I have heard dreadful stories of the Tata-Fiat service here in Goa. My brother's friend was recently bitterly regretting his decision to buy the Linea in Goa. He had this to say: "The Fiat service is pathetic. Those guys just don't know to service a Fiat car and they have messed up with my car. I'm seriously considering a visit to Belgaum just to service my Linea. Never again will I ever buy a Fiat car her in Goa."
I guess Goa is an extreme case for Fiat so better you people don't buy. In Mumbai, it is OK so I went ahead and bought Tjet.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:38   #48
BHPian

The quality of after sales service is a make-or-break deal clincher for me too.

I recently bought a used automatic transmission car. The initial list of cars to buy was:
  1. Honda Accord
  2. Toyota Camry (old shape)
  3. Hyundai Sonata Embera
  4. Honda CRV (old shape)
  5. Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara
Skoda didn't even make it to the short list thanks to all the horror stories I'd read on Team-BHP.

The final elimination process was conducted by my wife in a most practical manner - she just called up each of the contending companies service centers here in Noida. Told them she'd moved here recently and wanted to get her car serviced with them.

Her summary:
  1. Honda - arrogant beyond belief.
  2. Toyota - polite. The person who called the phone transferred to head of customer service, who was not available at the time, but personally called back.
  3. Hyundai - polite and patiently answered all the questions she had.
  4. Maruti - had to try a few times; first few people had no idea about GV, finally got one person who was knowledgeable and able to answer her questions.
Her verdict: "The hell with those those rascals from Honda. Any of the other three are fine. Get a Hyundai if you can, we won't have to wait for imported parts."

We ended up buying a 2008 model Sonata Embera.
Old 31st August 2011, 18:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. A car isn't like a zero-maintenance mobile phone; a car is built of thousands of wear & tear parts.

2. The average customer (99.99% of India) isn't knowledgeable about cars. To him, the car is merely a tool that transports him from point A to point B.

3. No one has time to waste today. This is one of the reasons I stick with Japanese cars; my regular work week allows no time to spend on the car.

Combine all 3 of the points above, and you'll know why after-sales is so important....
GTO summed it nicely! It sets me into the path of asking, well, 'Why?' A slightly different Why.

If 99.99% customers don't have time to waste & just want a car to take them from A to B, Why the market doesn't come up with some (dumb) cars which can be as reliable as say, a zero-maintenance mobile phone?

Apart from crashes, fender benders, dents, broken glasses - lights etc. If we don't have to go to service centers in first 2 - 3 years, it will be practical. After all we don't have time in work weeks and need all the time in holidays!!

May be only when we have practical Electric Cars?!

Most Viewed