Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 10:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rugged Pajero for jawans posted in Sikkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Being patriotic doesn't mean that we turn away from the facts. It is well known that the Chinese declared a unilateral ceasefire due to 2 reasons:
1. Their motive of making us aware of their military supremacy and mountain warfare was achieved.
2. International pressure and politics.
OT, but wanted to point out that this is not strictly correct: they were about to get their a#%$es kicked if they had stayed on or advanced any more. The Chinese supply chain was overstretched, and they knew it. Militarily it was a wise move to retreat while claiming that they were moving back after 'teaching a lesson'.

The Indian Army was about to counterattack and encircle them. The Chinese were fine with losing men, but totally averse to losing face. And they knew that they would lose face when their troops were destroyed and captured - which would have happened if they had not called an end to hostilities or moved back. Once Sam Manekshaw was given command of operations after the Gen Kaul fiasco, his first order of the day was: "There will be no withdrawal without written orders and these orders shall never be issued." He stopped the rout and was about to counterattack when the ceasefire happened, and was accepted by the trembling politicians.

Back to topic: The Pajero is a great move in terms of comfort. But why not mass produce army spec Defenders, Axe etc., - as others have pointed out - instead of inducting vehicles in a trickle?

Even for the Pajero (or Defender) some of the roads have to be maintained better. I had traveled in North Sikkim years back, and reached the Tibetan border at 18000+ feet going straight up North through Lachen Valley. Certain trails were doable only on small vehicles such as Army Gypsys. Hope the roads have improved, or will improve now. Btw, even 7 years back, the Chinese side used to travel in Pajeros.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 29th September 2011 at 10:55.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I saw a picture floating around the net in two different forums, supposedly of the Pajero in IA service. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the picture; I think the picture shows a Montero anyway.

Attachment 817397

Thanks,
brahmos and blackwater in those forums
The Montero IS the 4th generation Pajero. Currently available only as a CBU in India.

I appreciate this move by the Indian government. It's simple: when there are better vehicles that can be provided, why not?
Old 29th September 2011, 13:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
The Montero IS the 4th generation Pajero. Currently available only as a CBU in India.
What is your point? Pajero Gen II is known as Pajero in India and Pajero Gen IV is known as Montero in India and both are being sold as such, side by side. So, if an article claims "Pajero" is being acquired, it is assumed to be Pajero Gen II and not Montero and you would expect pictures to depict the same; simple. What their international nomenclatures are is completely irrelevant because we are discussing India and its army .

Last edited by darklord : 29th September 2011 at 13:06.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
What is your point? Pajero Gen II is known as Pajero in India and Pajero Gen IV is known as Montero in India and both are being sold as such, side by side. So, if an article claims "Pajero" is being acquired, it is assumed to be Pajero Gen II and not Montero and you would expect pictures to depict the same; simple. What their international nomenclatures are is completely irrelevant because we are discussing India and its army .
Dear Sir, your last post had a line "I think the picture shows a Montero anyway". To which I replied that the Montero IS a Pajero.

Is all clear and cool now?
Old 29th September 2011, 13:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Dear Sir, your last post had a line "I think the picture shows a Montero anyway". To which I replied that the Montero IS a Pajero.

Is all clear and cool now?
Friend, it does show a Montero (as is known in India), doesn't it? If the report says Indian Army acquires Pajero, you would expect to see this in olive or camo, right?

Rugged Pajero for jawans posted in Sikkim-mitsubishi-pajero-sfx-16.jpg

That is all I meant when I said "I think the picture shows a Montero anyway."

Perspective!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks