Team-BHP - Post Eon, will A-Star be the new Alto?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Post Eon, will A-Star be the new Alto? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/109088-post-eon-will-star-new-alto-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2534660)
Eon has an ARAI certification of 21.3 kmpl or so ! I guess even if they charge a small premium over alto, this car can shake Alto's sales quite a bit.

i10 1.2 has a ARAI certified FE of 20.93KMPL but i have read about many owners complaining of poor FE in city conditions. What if such is the case with the Eon?

Also IMO the 800 replacement looks quite similar in design to the A-Star.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 2537325)
i10 1.2 has a ARAI certified FE of 20.93KMPL but i have read about many owners complaining of poor FE in city conditions. What if such is the case with the Eon?

ARAI certification is not exactly the FE that you will get in city conditions. But we all use it as a benchmark. On top it, FE depends a lot on different parameters as well. Am sure no one will be able to get 21 kmpl in city, but a 15 kmpl is what I would realistically expect.

Keep the altos 800 cc f8d engine give it body coloured bumpers ,rear defogger , rear wash wipe and internally adjusted ORVM add in 2 front power windows price it at around 3 lakhs then see the difference . As maruti has always given better fe compared to hyundais .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anky (Post 2537331)
As maruti has always given better fe compared to hyundais .

+1. And Hyundai ownership costs have always been higher than Maruti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anky (Post 2537331)
Keep the altos 800 cc f8d engine give it body coloured bumpers ,rear defogger , rear wash wipe and internally adjusted ORVM add in 2 front power windows price it at around 3 lakhs then see the difference . As maruti has always given better fe compared to hyundais .

Hyundai doesn't make the most efficient cars. but, it sure does know how to liberate the maximum amount of space in the constrained dimensions of a hatchback. I expect the EON to remedy the Alto's only grouse - Cramped Interiors. This, coupled with the fact that it has Airbags on the top variant are a deal 'maker' for the EON.

Yes, another 'Special Edition' 800cc might be launched combat the EON's initial volume of bookings. If at a later date, Hyundai offers CNG, I would expect the EON to be the largest selling product for Hyundai.

Why EON?
- Better looks. Though I'm not fan of Koreans/Japanese looks, but EON looks similar to that of i10, I do see that as a plus.
- Overall Quality of material.
- Better interiors and interior space.
- Better A/C? (I assumed this after reading Sid's first impression on EON).
- Safety features if one opts for top of the line variant.

Why NOT EON?
- Higher cost of ownership. Right now this is just an assumption.
- Not proven yet? I think one should not worry looking at Hyundai's past record.
- Costlier than Alto 800. And that's a big one for this rather price sensitive segment. Can be a deal broker!
- Anything else? Please add.

Why Alto 800?
- Slightly cheaper than EON.
- Anything else? Please add.

Why NOT Alto 800?
- Simply cause overall as a package EON is better than Alto 800 but at some significant cost.

Now coming to this thread, no way A-Star is replacing Alto. If Maruti had to do it, they would have done it long back when A-Star was launched.

As far as I could guess, Maruti will keep all vehicles, and eek out every drop out of their models. They have nothing to lose as they have the infrastructure and assembly lines in place for all their small cars, and no small cars waiting to be launched any sooner.

So, 10 months down the line, Eon would have eaten up into all its Santro sales, a lot of Chevy spark sales and a bit into the k10 sales. The 800 alto will still sell atleast 70% of its numbers as it is still a segment lower, and probably price cuts would ensure the Alto does 15K sales atleast per month.

Maruti will then have to price their A-star bang against the Eon with an 800 cc engine, or plan an entirely new car for that assembly line (Which they don't have for now, and A-star is clocking < 1000 cars per month)

Yes, positive signs in the <4 Lakh car market

Eon's prices have been announced and I was told that the Magna version with a.c, p/s and 2 power windows is about 4.14 lakhs OTR in bangalore, so Im guessing that the era version with just p/s and ac should be about 3.9 lakhs, which is 60,000 more than the alto lxi. It looks like the eon will actuall compete against the estilo, wagon R, Spark, beat rather than the Alto. And remember, this is just the introduction price, I'm sure you will see prices going up by 5-10k in the coming months. Maruti can reduce prices of the a-star by about 30-40k, not beacuse of the EON, but its not selling well anyway, so price reduction will help the a-star in any case.