Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 02:48   #46
BHPian

VCCI is well, VCCI. We vintage/classic lovers/owners need to form an organization which can take on might SIAM and their pathetic plan
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 12:44   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cars manufactured before 1996 to be scrapped? To push new car sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
But I will not remain quiet if some profit-minded, heartless organisation tries to prevent vintage/classic vehicles from plying on road.
It is safe to assume that vintage & classic cars will be exempt from such rules. Either ways, I doubt the SIAM proposal will ever see the light of day. There are way too many pre-1996 cars on Indian roads today. The ratio of car owners as a % of population is already dismal (30ish / 1000 compared to 800 / 1000 in developed countries) and the per capita income is too low in India.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, I agree to GTO sir's view about the issue. I too believe that this idea is not workable in India. It can work in developed nations where incomes and living standards are high. In India, where people agitate even against minor transport fare hikes, it's politically hazardous to mandate junking of old cars.

A better solution to improve the environment's condition is to enforce stringent emission norms and put punitive fines for violations. However, scrapping the pre-1996 cars to boost new car sales is nothing but a joke on the aam aadmi. It is a well known fact that today's automobile prices stretch the budgets of even the middle class; So, How can such a plan even be put in consideration is beyond my understanding.

I strongly believe that there should be a strict, corruption-free system which can monitor vehicular fitness at designated intervals. Lastly; As the authorities have suddenly woken up to address this issue, then, I guess shifting to cleaner fuel options like CNG or models like electric cars can be incentivised from their end which will be of great help.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 10:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It is safe to assume that vintage & classic cars will be exempt from such rules.
What would fall under the classification of vintage & classic

I have a 1996 Yezdi Roadking. A relative has a 1990 Ambassador which has been so lovingly maintained it looks like new. Neither of these vehicles are used on a daily basis. What would be the fate of such vehicles i wonder.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:04   #50
BHPian

Heck, all my rides are pre-1996... 75 Bullet, 74 Type B Yezdi, 1967 Jawa 250, 59 Matchless 350. All of them have super clean papers ie smartcard RCs. I am no super rich, but I have spent a fortune in buying them and keep them in roadworthy condition. I can guarantee that they are much more environmental friendly and reliable that SIAM members' products. Infact, I have taken my bullet on solo rides across India. I want my child to ride it, not to see it rot in my garage. The government has been sensible in rejecting SIAM's master plan to boost profit. If we make a lot of noise this doomsday will never happen.
The most infuriating case is that RE and CEO of Eichers Motors S Sandilya (is that his correct name) was SIAM head. While the association was trying to finish of old vehicles, his company was banking on its 'Brit' legacy and heritage to boost sales.

Last edited by Leepower : 9th April 2014 at 11:11.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

SIAM and its members have ZERO moral grounds to speak about the love of environment. When BS4 was required in 14 cities, they didn't completely upgrade their cars to BS4. They created the BS4 versions for all the cities that mandated it by law and still sold the more polluting BS3 version everywhere else in the country because making a BS4 car was slightly costlier. Even now, the European versions that go out as exports from Indian factories are less polluting than the BS4. Why are they not upgrading the pollution levels of the cars sold in India proactively (before the government asks them to do so) if they care so much about the environment?

As someone already mentioned, it should be good enough to bring down the allowable limits for pollution tests. Let the owners worry about how to make their cars compliant. I'm sure the car companies wouldn't want that since a lot of the taxi drivers could go above the allowable levels even within the warranty period and it would be a nightmare for them.

With this continued persistence from SIAM in the name of "love for environment", its high time that the Ministry for environment run some strict pollution checks on all car manufacturing facilities and ensure they are fully compliant to ALL the pollution norms.

If they care so much for environment, let them stop producing diesel cars as diesel is more polluting than petrol. If all members of SIAM refuse to make diesel cars, then everyone would be forced to buy petrol cars. A well maintained pre-96 car on petrol/LPG could be less polluting than a poorly maintained diesel car that is a few years old. Most of the imported LPG kits were Euro-2 compliant and hence a pre-96 LPG-converted petrol car that is working properly is only as polluting as a BS2 car sold till March 2010 in India. Why the discrimination?

Last edited by zenren : 9th April 2014 at 11:41.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:11   #52
BHPian

Well all doubts has been put aside. It has happened in Delhi. Pre-99 cars to be scrapped! In a months time all pre 2000 cars to be scrapped. How feasible is it? Taking into consideration all polluting trucks from outside the state coming to or passing through Delhi? Will they be banned too?? And the HR and UP registered cars, what about them??
Old 27th November 2014, 15:18   #53
BHPian

I'm LOL-ing so hard right now!

My 1995 Esteem is being done up since the past 2 months now. No way am I letting go of it!

Anyway, this is India. There's a way about everything here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks