Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 17:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Indian car manufacturers are profiting by reducing weight of the vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What you may perceive, is that some formulations may use more synthetic rubber, which has that slick feel, but that comes in expensive tyres as synthetic rubber is way too expensive.
Actually synthetic polymers like SBR, EPDM are not much more expensive than Natural Rubber anymore. About 10-15% premium.
Old 29th October 2011, 23:40   #47
BHPian

Re: How Indian car manufacturers are profiting by reducing weight of the vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
So, can you then explain why the same car weighs less in India? Is it because the Indian car is safer and uses high tensile steel while the Australian/Jap car uses normal steel? Really?
Indian regulations don't have the necessary clauses that necessitate some of the steel parts to be added.

Now I am not saying these are normal or are different types of steel, just that they are seen as un-necessary and costly additions to the car. Any manufacturer would look to leverage the statutory regulations of each individual country to their own advantage (Yes they are in for the money!).

See the difference in mass, is the result of cost cutting (saving for the manufacturer). Things like seat belts with load limiters / pre tensioners, NVH paddings, mats, emission controls, etc. as well various steel reinforcements pertaining to crash are simply deleted from the vehicle.

Unless a requirement becomes mandatory, we will never see them implemented independently.

Now, the argument will be about cars having ABS/ Airbags options. But believe me they are not the same as their European / US / Japanese counterparts.

If you are not convinced, ask a fellow BHPian in UK / US to check a simple section of the engine member (over which the engine is mounted) of a model running both in India & there. You will notice a huge difference in the box section dimensions (and also their gauges as well). This is the underlying fact I have learnt during my small career.

By saying this I am not accusing any OEM of double standards / Malpractise / unfair trade. I am saying this only to make people aware of how the business runs. This in a way has helped auto cos to make the cars more affordable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks