Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 23:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Tata Aria with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
You really needs guts to price a comparable model with the big T more than the big T. End of the day what can the Aria do that the Innova can not? I am talking basic utility here not the gizmo stuff (the Gizmo stuff is mainly for the driver of the car not much for the 7+ passengers in a MUV). Nothing much! Even though on a features to features comparison on paper the Aria will beat the Innova hands down on the road its a completely different story!

If ARIA needs to really be in business then they need to work on the price. Nothing else is wrong with the car! I would really prefer the ARIA over the XUV if they both come at the same price for the same trim! Hope TATA is listening.
Tata can price much lesser for a market hit, but i do not feel that Tata has the heart to do it.

What i mean is Price Aria at Safari prices, Safari at Grande prices and so on. This is probably only way to make some customers buy. They could also bring in toyota like quality and reliability on their cars to ask for toyota like prices.

Since there is not much impact to Mahindra by launching XUV5oo W6 on par with the Scorpio VLX 4X4, similarly, Tata can lower the price to match Safari's Middle version.

Else i suggest what Tata does best - Pearl White, Black Bumper, Black ORVM (driver side only, lift from indica), Steel wheels, undersized rubber, 2 spoke steering wheel, No Audio system, No AC, No spare wheel, no roof boxes, Sumo type seats, for 8Lacs Ex showroom Mumbai to appeal to the Taxi market.

Once enough money has been made on the above from taxi Segment, Launch Aria variants like Aria Cab, Aria FireTruck, Aria 3Tonner, Aria Cargo, Aria Shuttle, Aria CM(S) (compact MUV), AriaGO, AriaZA etc. And if this also does not work, remove a wheel and sell Aria as Aria 3Wheeler, a competitor for Tempo / APE / Mahindra etc.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st November 2011 at 23:20.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

I saw the TATA Aria Auto testing in Mumbai (Andheri Kurla Road). I Think they may launch the same at the Auto Expo at the best.

Could not click pictures as i do not have a camera phone. I saw the auto box inside through the window.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I saw the TATA Aria Auto testing in Mumbai (Andheri Kurla Road). I Think they may launch the same at the Auto Expo at the best.

Could not click pictures as i do not have a camera phone. I saw the auto box inside through the window.
I believe they wont launch it in auto expo.
It will take a little time as i proudly can say that we are being awarded the business for AMT for TATA and the development is still gong on.
It will be in second half of 2012 for Aria, Xenon and Safari and for Nano in 2013.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
It will take a little time as i proudly can say that we are being awarded the business for AMT for TATA and the development is still gong on.
It will be in second half of 2012 for Aria, Xenon and Safari and for Nano in 2013.
Do you work for Magnetti Marelli India Pvt Limited??
Old 15th November 2011, 02:18   #35
Team-BHP Support

So does Tata think an AT box is going to solve their Aria problems? It most certainly will not.

Not only will the new AT 'box push the price higher, it will ensure that the Aria will remain a dream for some who want a true-blue MPV with a twist. It's unfortunate to see the Aria do badly in our market. I was expecting a lot from it, personally. The car is great, in terms of quality and solidity. But it requires to be a little less expensive than it already is.

The Aria is a great product, let down by unrealistic pricing and little niggles.

If Tata intends to introduce an AT Aria and iron-out the niggles in the process, without a significant increase in price, it would be a winner. I don't see it doing well, otherwise!
Old 15th November 2011, 06:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Here we have it, a proof of what we have been discussing in this thread for quite a while now. A reader of my blog ANYTHING ON WHEELS has spotted this Aria with automatic transmission being tested in Pune-Mumbai Highway at Pimpri. Though this looks like it could be any other Aria variant, the reader claims to have peeped through the window and found it to have an autobox.

In my opinion, this could not come at a better time for Tata as more and more customers prefer to go for automatic transmissions in their cars now a days. It is more true for customers in the premium segment in which the Aria is positioned. But, all is not well for the Aria. With the market already branding it as overpriced and the model suffering from not-so-high sales numbers, it remains to be seen how Tata is going to position the Aria automatic, as it will obviously be more expensive than the manual variants.

The other flip side is Tata's complete lack of brand image that is hurting the Aria more than anything else as it is otherwise a mighty competent product. Will the Aria automatic overcome all the hurdles and prove successful for Tata? Let us wait and watch. God bless competition, which in this case, came in the form of Mahindra XUV500!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Tata Aria with Automatic Transmission-tata-aria-automatic.jpg  

Old 15th November 2011, 13:19   #37
BHPian

Tata lost a big big advantage at the time of launch by getting the pricing completely wrong. Their entire advertisement campaign went to waste as nobody wanted to spend that kind of of money on a Tata product - atleast not yet. I hope Ratan Tata gives a big kick on the butt of the guys responsible for pricing the Aria so wrong. It could have been a bigger success than the XUV500 as it had the first mover advantage. The problem now for Tata is that even if they do reduce prices, people will still not flock to buy since its now considered a failed product.

I dont think the automatic is going to make much of difference either unless accompanied by a huge price cut.

I only hope this wakes up the ever complacent Toyota to put an autobox in the Innova. Now that's something I wont mind paying more for.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Do you work for Magnetti Marelli India Pvt Limited??
yes for "Magneti Marelli powertrain India Pvt. Ltd."
how did you know that it is MM, supplying the parts?
car-o-phile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 16:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
yes for "Magneti Marelli powertrain India Pvt. Ltd."
how did you know that it is MM, supplying the parts?
Just a guess. Fiat is a partner of Tata and MM is a leader in AMTs.
...or maybe there's more to it..
Old 15th November 2011, 16:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Just a guess. Fiat is a partner of Tata and MM is a leader in AMTs.
...or maybe there's more to it..
And now i am a lot more interested hearing "more" about it.
Kindly update me, if you can.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:06   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I would have loved to be able to opt for the AT version when i bought the Aria. Missed out.

Also I believe (from inputs from some senior TATA guys who met me about 6 months back) that there is an even higher power version that they are working on as well. Missed out there as well. If it turns out to be a 2.2 litr mapped for more performance then I could possibly get that at least done for mine as well later. The comment vary clearly then was that "they had a solution - with a broad mischievious smile" - to a question from me about more power from the car. But don't know if it was about a bigger engine or a remapped or twin / bigger turbo version of the same engine.

Yet it still could be a year more before it all becomes available. I think from there they are right now to give the Aria a push they may have to give the AT at the same price as the manual for the two top spec varients thus making it an incredibly well priced (infact only one) in the segment. (Till the XUV AT comes out.) - This ofcourse is not based on any info but just me thinking out aloud.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Are they testing the Vista and Manza as well or is it just the Aria for now? Tata definately has the resources to test multiple models at the same time.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Are they testing the Vista and Manza as well or is it just the Aria for now? Tata definately has the resources to test multiple models at the same time.
not for vista and manza at this moment.
Old 20th November 2011, 00:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile

not for vista and manza at this moment.
MMIPL is a joint venture of Magnetti Marelli and Maruti Suzuki. How can this JV supply AMT modules to Tata Motors Limited
Old 20th November 2011, 17:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MMIPL is a joint venture of Magnetti Marelli and Maruti Suzuki. How can this JV supply AMT modules to Tata Motors Limited
Fiat India is a JV between Tata and Fiat. They will supply diesel engines to MSIL, won't they? This is worse for Tata than the case presented by you, since Aria has no competition from Suzuki in its segment.

If profit outweighs the loss, why not join hands with competition?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks