Team-BHP - So, why don't you buy an Automatic?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   So, why don't you buy an Automatic? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111215-so-why-dont-you-buy-automatic-26.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2721512)
My understanding is that since even AT has mechanical gears, it may require frequent oil changes like the manual transmission. It is the so called AT fluid, which is what drives the torque converter which doesn't need frequent replacement. But, experts please comment on it.

Quite a coincidence that you ask this today.:) I had the fluid replaced at 40000 kms (which is as per service requirement). Now this should have served me well for the next 40 K but unfortunately, of late, I had been experiencing some kind of jerkiness and juddering when engaging from neutral. Took my Honda City CVT to the service centre this morning thinking that I've had it (some major damage). Fortunately it turns out that they just had to change the CVT fluid. Seems smooth now - although I had to shell out for the fluid with just 20 K done from last change.
Attaching a copy of the bill for reference.
I would not be able to tell you about the other cars though - the intervals for AT fluid change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 2721559)
Quite a coincidence that you ask this today.:) I had the fluid replaced at 40000 kms (which is as per service requirement). Now this should have served me well for the next 40 K but unfortunately, of late, I had been experiencing some kind of jerkiness and juddering when engaging from neutral. Took my Honda City CVT to the service centre this morning thinking that I've had it (some major damage). Fortunately it turns out that they just had to change the CVT fluid. Seems smooth now - although I had to shell out for the fluid with just 20 K done from last change.
Attaching a copy of the bill for reference.
I would not be able to tell you about the other cars though - the intervals for AT fluid change.

Civic AT has an interval of 60k for the first change of AT Fluid. MT Gear oil is also changed at 60k.

But subsequent AT Fluid changes are at every 40k km whereas MT Gear oil is at every 60k.

Where AT trumps it is there will be no clutch replacement on the AT, MT will need one from time to time.

Quote:

5 speed automatic hatch under 10 lacs? i don't think there are any
Honda City comes close...depending on what state you live I guess.

Quote:

I had been experiencing some kind of jerkiness and juddering when engaging from neutral.
I think oil level was low. A top up would have cured it. Keep an eye out for leaks.

@Mpower, the HondaCity-AT came to my mind too as a under-10lakh AT (atleast I can get it in KL & possibly TN too), but then the reference was to a 5 speed automatic hatch.

I remember posting here or in the Brio thread that on my request for ATs in Jazz/Brio there was a reply which said, "Nothing official" about it at the moment!!

So maybe something is brewing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk
I remember posting here or in the Brio thread that on my request for ATs in Jazz/Brio there was a reply which said, "Nothing official" about it at the moment!!

So maybe something is brewing!

If that is the case, I need to contact Honda dealer ASAP as I have booked Jazz for my mother and we really need AT hatchback. I would love to book AT right away even if we have to wait for another 6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrous Power (Post 2724074)
If that is the case, I need to contact Honda dealer ASAP as I have booked Jazz for my mother and we really need AT hatchback. I would love to book AT right away even if we have to wait for another 6 months.

I don't think they have plans for an AT variant any time in the near future sadly. I wrote to them a few months ago and this is the reply I got -

This is in reference to your communicationreceived by us on 18th Aug 2011.

We thank you for sparing your valuabletime and writing to us.

With regards to your query, pertainingto launch of CVT/AT models of Honda Jazz , we wish to submit thatwe do not have any plans for the same in the near future.

For any further concern/query, pleasefeel free to contact Honda One 2 One at 1800-113-121 & 011-39898918.

Assuring you the best of our servicesat all times.

Regards,
Ankush Hakhoo
Customer Relationship Management
Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. ,Greater Noida

Well I did buy one a week ago, Maruti A star for my wife, enjoy driving it, i seeem to be using this more than my wife. it feels adequate enough power even with the A/c on and blessing in stop and go conditions, giving about 12 in city with a/c on.
i feel in the next 2 years AT cars willl have better resale than manuals in major cities only because of the convenience factor.

Surely if not the Jazz, I sincerely hope they get an AT for Brio.
At least that should add competition to i10 and A-Star. In fact that is the sector today which has a maximum need for AT options.

They surely should but as usual I think Honda is missing a trick here. AT option for the Brio would make it a worthy rival to the i10 automatic. I guess it is a bit like their elusive diesel variants.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2582761)
Heck, I even spent 2+ months searching for a used manual transmission car in the States; believe me, it was quite a task in that automatic-dominated market.

Ha ha, that's how much time it took me to sell my manual transmission car in Texas! My first car in the U. S. when I was a student was a Mazda Protege manual transmission and I have driven it coast to coast, alone! It had a 2.0 engine with 130 HP, 5-speed, which was pretty good considering this was more than 10 years back.

Back to the original post, our new car in India is a Skoda Laura DSG (diesel) and I am so glad I got the automatic. Not a bit of regret, nor do I miss driving manual. Case in point, a trip to Coorg this time when we were in India. I decided to have some fun on the mountain roads and took our petrol sedan, of course with manual transmission, for the trip. It didn't take me more than half an hour to realize that automatic was the way to go. Agreed, there is instant surge of power and the whole 'feeling' of changing gears at will, but it became so frequent that I was tired of changing gears every now and then. Things are worse when there are bad roads, traffic and bumps or unexpected stops (which are quite expected in India). Contrary to popular opinion, India is where automatics are at its best and in a country like the U. S. you can actually live with a car with stick shift.

A sub 10 lakh compact sedan/hatchback, with a diesel motor is probably the best car to have in India. However, there is none at this time.

When I was a teenager, I have made fun of people who drove automatics, I was prejudiced, would only drive a petrol car with lots of power and would speed at any given chance. May be the petrol prices have finally caught up to me, may be its because just about everyone else is buying only a diesel car in Kerala, may be its the stage of life I am in or I'm getting old, but at heart I'm still a 'petrol-head', but just not a manual one.

Resurrecting an old thread , I believe if we take a poll now the statistics would be different as the road condition, choice of model available, price and peoples exposure to automatics cars have changed the perception over time.

Overall I believe the outlook on automatic have changed in last couple of year as more and more cars are now coming up with A/T option!

+1 for the above post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 2583208)
+1.

Exactly why I dont consider automatics for my next purchase either! The smallest diesel AT starts with Scorpio/ Cruze which are well beyond my budget + parking space requirements.

A few years back I made the above post in this thread. Happy to note that this concern I had regarding automatics are getting addressed slowly, but surely. Below the Scorpio and Cruze automatics- we have the Verna diesel AT, Vento and Rapid diesel DSG and more importantly- the Zest diesel AMT.

If I were to upgrade now- the Vento diesel DSG would surely get a hard look, even though I still love manual transmissions over automatics.

Also- We already have an Xcent AT sharing our garage with the diesel Punto. Would not have imagined that possibility back in 2011 when I posted the above. The main reason for getting the automatic was convenience of use- for my parents.

Polls, especially online polls, do not paint the right picture. People tend to be dishonest with their answers. They tend to gravitate towards the post popular option, which often is the most "glamorous" one.

In this poll, option 2 is the most popular one, but in reality it should have been a toss up between option 1 and option 4.

In 2011, I bought A-Star AT with much apprehension as a run-around car which my wife could drive, too. First 15 days, I wasn't too happy. We tend to resist any change, you see. I said to myself,"oh, this feels odd, sitting there and doing nothing." Then as I got the hang of it and as the convenience of AT bit me, I go rid of my other car, an MT Lancer diesel (bought pre-owned) and vowed never to buy an MT car again as long as I live.

Now, first thing I check out when I see a new car is if it has an AT box. If it ain't an AT, it ain't a car for me.