Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 11:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Premier Rio to get Multijet-ted

If premier launch their Rio with a diesel mill, It would be part gain part loss. Rio would sell due to it's diesel mill

BUT

What about those who don't even know that Premier has a car named RIO !
As everyone said, Only plonking a diesel mill wouldn't boost Rio's mill. Every aspect of the car must be equally promoted to enjoy good sales. I had sit in a Rio some time back, and Boy, It was more cramped than a WagonR!

And as of now, Premier is only associated with it's earlier products like Padmini! They should make an aggressive strategy to compete with already existing brands and enter the National Mainstream!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 18th June 2012, 12:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

MJD would help Premier sell the RIO is all the major cities where Euro IV is a requirement. Besides if Premier can set up 200 A S S as mentioned by them, they are as good as mainstream players.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:12   #48
BHPian

wow great news.

The question that bothers me more than the the Cost of engine is, "How Much money would premier pay to Fiat to fit this engine in Rio?"

I assume that would be quite substantial amount and not sure going by the sales of current Rio or future sales plan, it would be easy to recover that money. Can anyone answer, how much money it typically takes generally to Engineer an fitting an Engine into a car?
Old 19th June 2012, 10:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
wow great news.

The question that bothers me more than the the Cost of engine is, "How Much money would premier pay to Fiat to fit this engine in Rio?"

I assume that would be quite substantial amount and not sure going by the sales of current Rio or future sales plan, it would be easy to recover that money. Can anyone answer, how much money it typically takes generally to Engineer an fitting an Engine into a car?
More or less similar to what Suzuki might be paying? Considering that Premier had a long fling with Fiat, they might have actually got a good discount. Also, to be factored in is the fact that since most manufacturers are now using the "national engine" Fiat, might have already recovered the cost of developing the engine! I guess India is one country where most diesel cars run on FIAT engines than anywhere else in the world!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
More or less similar to what Suzuki might be paying? Considering that Premier had a long fling with Fiat, they might have actually got a good discount. Also, to be factored in is the fact that since most manufacturers are now using the "national engine" Fiat, might have already recovered the cost of developing the engine! I guess India is one country where most diesel cars run on FIAT engines than anywhere else in the world!
thanks and Well I wasn't asking about the cost of engine development, but more like Engine Integration to vehicle. I have heard that kind of cost can easily many a crores in engineering and development. Not sure how true is that btw.
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Rio would sell due to it's diesel mill
People looking for additional seating capacity would get a Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. If they have a lower budget and need more space, they would get a Mahendra Bolero or Xylo.

I don't see where the market can accomodate the Rio. People hardly even know that the Rio exists. Premier was almost a household name with the Padmini, but most folks of today would either never have heard of Premier or wouldn't think highly of Premier.

I agree that setting up more service stations would inspire more confidence in the brand. That's one way to increase their presence.

PS: The MJD is a necessary upgrade for the Rio - I doubt anyone would even think of it if they still sold it with a 58hp TUD5.
Old 24th June 2012, 10:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Main problem for RiO as i see it is,its very compact size. No matter if it gets a 90ps fiat multijet engine and may be very good quality plastics (dreaming ).. it will still be hampered by its very small footprint and very poor interior space. A tall suv'sh hatchback with space equivalent of an alto will never sell for 6-7lac rupees no matter what.
A few enthusiasts might buy a RiO here and there but def this is not enuf for PAL to make any kind of profits. The compact dimensions of an alto/old zen are now the past. We have been so pampered by spacious hatchbacks at low prices, that we will never go buy a cramped car if we can help it. Also in India an Suv 'must' command respect, look rich and luxurious and generally give out a large presence about it to succeed. A car which is not a cheap hatch, midsize saloon with a big boot or a large butch suv may not succeed in our markets...
Old 24th June 2012, 14:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Main problem for RiO as i see it is,its very compact size.
Thats actually the USP of the RIO. there is a market for an SUV with a small footprint.The SUV's we have now are a pain to navigate in the city.every SUV doesn't need to be a people carrier
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 16:16   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180

Thats actually the USP of the RIO. there is a market for an SUV with a small footprint.The SUV's we have now are a pain to navigate in the city.every SUV doesn't need to be a people carrier
A most perspicacious comment which I totally agree with!
Old 26th June 2012, 11:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
I dont agree sir! Why pay 7 lacs if you want a really small hatchback? Certianly better hatchbacks are available for much lesser money. And only usp regarding rio is may be ground clearance, which even i WagonR or Indica Vista is more than enough to tackle city roads and occasional mild no road conditions. Also with that tall body shape on the RiO and the narrow track it is so top heavy!!

OT: I saw at least 4 RiO in Mumbai in the past 2 weeks or so. So it does seem that the sales have picked up....
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 04:59   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
I dont agree sir! Why pay 7 lacs if you want a really small hatchback? Certianly better hatchbacks are available for much lesser money. And only usp regarding rio is may be ground clearance, which even i WagonR or Indica Vista is more than enough to tackle city roads and occasional mild no road conditions. Also with that tall body shape on the RiO and the narrow track it is so top heavy!!

OT: I saw at least 4 RiO in Mumbai in the past 2 weeks or so. So it does seem that the sales have picked up....
I had mildly tested the early Rio with its horrendous TUD5 engine and its gear box made of wool and fluff. That might have been about 2 years back or so.

Yes, it is a good concept of vehicle, practical, reasonably spacious, good luggage carrying capacity and so on.

However, it is ghastly in terms of fit and finish and its price is way too high for what it tries to offer.

It, like the Force One will probably get relegated to the position of 'also ran' in this market of markets. We have matured so rapidly and our benchmarks have changed completely.

Either of these vehicles would or could have made some kind of dent had they been introduced around ten years ago at prices comparable to the then top spec Bolero and/ or base Scorpio, but they will simply fall by the way side in todays market.

How long can the Force or Premier boys sustain this effort? Remains to be seen, but my guess is that the long kiss goodbye from the market, is about to begin, for both, given that one has excellent options like the Duster coming in!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 17:08   #57
BHPian

Primier Rio website updated with new Tech specs of Multi-jet engine. Engine is 72 bhp and has been named as CRDi4

Source:RiO | India's First Compact SUV
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 19:23   #58
BHPian

Premier to start MJD deliveries from August 2

Sources:
Premier Rio CRDi4 deliveries begin on Thursday

Premier to commence deliveries of its compact SUV RiO from August 2 - The Economic Times
Old 31st July 2012, 19:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Great move indeed, if Premier price Rio sensibly then they have a very good opportunity get a good share of the market, but but they have to make sure that they have a solid *** and obviously a niggle free car...
Old 1st August 2012, 09:52   #60
BHPian

Breaking: Rio CRDi4 priced at 6.7 Lakh Ex-showroom Pune.

Premier launches Rio 1.3 Multijet for INR 6.7 lakhs. Deliveries to start from 2nd August | Motoroids
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks