Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 18:07   #1
BHPian

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks

I believe base variants make more sense in the upper hatchback segment – only on the basis of price, as the price of higher variants tends to overlap with that of entry-level sedans – which are viewed by most Indians as a higher status symbol – bigger is better! Also, for people stretching from A to B/B+ segment, the base variants of these cars make the perfect sense.

You get the same basic vehicle – engine, suspension, etc that makes-up around 75% of the car – the only differentiation in higher-end variants is the equipment and premium features on offer for which you essentially pay a premium. But one can do without them (agreed safety features are justifiably important); considering that the variants of all cars in this comparison come with atleast the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air-Conditioning) and power steering (except petrol Liva) as standard. Lot of people go for higher variants due to the features and equipment, but I’m from the opposite end of the spectrum in case of B+ segment cars and feel base variants are a fantastic value-for-money proposition.

All magazines & auto shows review only the top-end models and rave about the features, but the truth is that it is generally (may vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer) the lower/mid variants that drive in the sales and people like me would like to know about all the features available on the base variant. Individual views may differ – so to each his/her own.

This features comparison is of cars in the fiercely competitive B/B+ segment, as I feel people tend to miss/overlook these features as they either don’t know or are unable to compare due to insufficient information. Even the Sales Advisors at dealerships are also not aware of all the features of the car they are selling. Like the foot level A/C vents under the front passenger seat for the rear passengers (in Fabia, Punto, i20); Mileage/Average indicator (in Punto, Polo, Swift) & cooled glovebox (in Liva).

I have gone to inane lengths and included things like number of windshield washer nozzles & jets, instrument panel illumination colour, rear windows roll down fully or not, and even type of door handles (pull-type or normal) – all of these and some others might not be features per se, but I have included them to give a complete picture.

I’ve also colour-coded Unique features (purple) and some Delight(ful) features (yellow) that tend to enhance the ownership experience to a small but heart-warming extent.

It is to be noted that the Vista has passenger/cabin space as its delightful feature, but since it is not a quantifiable aspect, passenger space is not included in the comparison. But in some cases there are conspicuous omissions (in base models), such as no power steering in the Liva, no power windows in the Micra (petrol), Liva (petrol), Swift & Vista; fixed front seat headrests & no 12V power socket in the Micra (petrol) & Liva (petrol) – to name a few.

Car Models whose Features are compared are as follows:

1) Skoda Fabia (1.2 P & D)
2) Ford Figo (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
3) Fiat Grande Punto (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
4) Hyundai i20 (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
5) Toyota Etios Liva (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
6) Nissan Micra (1.2 P / 1.5 D)
7) VW Polo (1.2 P & D)
8) Chevrolet Sail U-VA (1.2 P & 1.3 D)
9) Maruti Suzuki Swift (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
10)Tata Indica Vista (1.2 P / 1.3 D)

P: Petrol ; D: Diesel

Lowest common variant has been taken into account – of both petrol & diesel variants. I have taken base models for all the cars in the comparison except for Ford Figo – for which I’ve taken one variant up (Exi) from base variant (Lxi) as the value proposition is great even for this variant – it is only slightly more expensive than the Vista. Also the Exi variant is cheaper than Liva’s base petrol ‘J’ variant that doesn’t even come with a power steering. Just for information, Figo's base Lxi variant is priced at Rs. 3.85 & 4.82 lakhs for the petrol & diesel respectively. W.R.T. the Exi variant the Lxi loses out on LHS ORVM, wheel covers, front P/W, remote boot open, parcel tray and central locking with immobilizer. Skoda has recently done a model rejig to revert to its premium positioning, so the base model is quite expensive as compared to the competition, but it is fairly well-loaded.

Most of the information has been collated from the manufacturers’ website for their respective cars and their brochures (so it is liable to change anytime at manufacturer’s discretion). It is a known fact that base variants don’t drive in the profits, so it is understandable that they are not promoted accordingly by the car manufacturers. It is to be noted that pictures in reviews posted on Team BHP itself have been really helpful in finding out whether a feature is present or not (e.g. Digital clock, Door pockets, Luggage hooks, Cup/Bottle holders, etc).

Inclusion of some models & exclusion of others are solely on my personal criteria for comparison – so the Liva is included but not the Beat, Brio, i10 or Ritz. I feel the Liva straddles between B & B+ segments, though it lacks the premium factor that is expected in a B+ segment car. Liva has B+ segment rivalling passenger space (wheelbase is 2460 mm) and a decent boot capacity (251 litres). In comparison the Brio, i10 & Ritz have a wheelbase of 2345, 2380 & 2360 and boot space of 170, 225 & 236 litres respectively. It is to be noted that the Swift & Vista also have a tiny boot, at 204 & 232 litres respectively. Honda Jazz isn’t included as the price of the base model is Rs.6 lakhs plus, whereas the range in the comparison is Rs.4-5 lakhs for petrol and Rs.5-6 lakhs for diesel (ex-showroom Delhi).

I’ve taken the wheelbase & boot space also into account in the comparison, as it is a quantifiable aspect (not so in the case of passenger space – leg/knee room) and an important consideration/feature for some while buying a hatch. Also, Euro NCAP rating is mentioned in order to give an idea of the safety rating of the car as judged by western standards. It is to be noted that the base variants do not have the safety features with which the cars have been tested and these features (Airbags, ABS with EBD, etc) are available only in higher variants if not the topmost. But the body structure (with its impact absorbing crumple zones) and the structural / torsional rigidity remains the same even in the base variant, so the ratings are included to give a fair idea of the amount of safety afforded to the passengers of the car.

In addition to HVAC & Power Steering (except Liva petrol), following are some of the other common features among all models and are therefore not entered in the comparison:

• Body-coloured bumpers (Except Sail U-VA petrol)
• Folding rear seats
• Low fuel warning lamp
• Child lock on rear doors
• Front & rear seatbelts (lap belt for middle passenger)
• Storage pocket in front doors
• Internal boot release
• Internal fuel-lid release
• ORVM manually adjustable from inside
• Headlight beam adjuster (required by the law)
• High mounted stop lamp (required by the law)

P.S. There are some blanks which need to be filled – so if owners of those vehicles can pitch-in, it would be great. Please report to me any anomalies in the analysis, as owners of these models would have a better idea and even the manufacturers also sometimes inadvertently don’t give the complete information or the details are mentioned incorrectly in their communication (online / brochure). I have tried to cover all possible features, but if any have been left out owners can point it out, preferably with supporting pictures (and remember they should be of the base variant of the car). Please note that we are considering only the latest base variants of the respective cars, say 2012 model and not the earlier ones or the ones that are no longer produced (e.g. Old Swift or Fabia variants).
Attached Thumbnails
Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-1.jpg  

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-2.jpg  

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-3.jpg  

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-4.jpg  

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-5.jpg  

Last edited by jessie007 : 3rd November 2012 at 11:16.
jessie007 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 19:12   #2
BHPian

Re: B+ segment, base variant FEATURES comparison

A picture is worth a thousand words. So here is an assortment of images of features compared just to get a pictorial idea of the features mentioned in the report. Due to copyright issues, most of the images used have been taken by me of my Punto and from the Team BHP forum itself – mostly from the “Official New Cars Review Section”. I thank all members, especially GTO, whose images I have used in this thread)

Auto-up & Auto-down Power Window
Video featured of: Punto
Feature also available on: Polo (Auto-down only)

Foot-level AC vents for rear passengers under the front seats
Image featured of: Punto
Feature also available on: Fabia & i20

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntorear-ac-vents.jpg

Air volume control on AC vents
Image featured of: Polo
Feature also available on: Fabia, i20 & Indica Vista

Name:  PoloVents with Air Volume Control.JPG
Views: 11185
Size:  37.8 KB

Air vents shut completely
Feature also available on: All

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntoair-vents-close.jpg

Internal boot & Fuel lid release
Feature also available on: Almost all others

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntoboot-fuel-filler-release.jpg

Metal protection plate to prevent luggage intrusion through the rear seat back in case of the car getting rear-ended
Feature also available on: None

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntometal-seatback.jpg

Engine protection plate (Metal)
Image featured of: Punto with its thick metal plate protecting the engine sump from protrusion/high speed-breakers or stones or any other sharp object on the road

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntosump-guard-metal.jpg

Anti drip-wipe and washer jets
Video featured of: Punto with its six washer jets
Feature also available on: Polo & Vista

Seat belt reminder, Door ajar & Low fuel warning
Image featured of: i20
Feature also available on: Punto & Swift – Seatbelt & Door ajar (Low fuel warning on all models)

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-i20door-ajar-seatbelt-reminder.jpg

Clutch footrest / Dead pedal
Feature also available on: i20

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntoclutch-footrest.jpg

Rear seat double fold

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-doublefoldseatpunto.jpg

Twin Glovebox
Feature also available on: Fabia & Figo (open space, not with a lid)

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntotwin-glovebox.jpg

Cooled Glovebox
Image featured of: Liva’s massive 13 litres with cooling vent on the left-hand side

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-livacooled-glovebox-size.jpg

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-livacooled-glovebox.jpg

Coin Holder & Sunglasses / Goggles holder
Feature also available on: Coin Holder - Punto, Micra, Vista; Sunglasses holder - Fabia & i20

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-polocoin-sunglasses-holder.jpg

Cup / Bottle holders + Coin holder & 12V Power Socket
Images featured of: Punto, Swift, Figo & Liva
Cup/can holders in the centre console, 12V Power Socket near the gear stick, coin holder next to the handbrake and a third bottle/can holder and the rear end of the centre console – in Punto

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntomulti.jpg

Nifty spring loaded cup holder on the front passenger side in the swift

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-swiftretractable-cup-holder.jpg

Figo’s 1 litre marked bottle holders in the two front doors

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-figofront-door-1-litre-bottle-holder.jpg

Rear door pocket/Bottle Holder - One of the seven Bottle/Cup holders in the Liva (segment maximum)

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-livarear-door-bottle-holder.jpg

Storage in Front armrest (please note this is a dedicated storage, separate from the door closing handle)
Feature also available on: Sail U-VA & Vista

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntofront-armrest-storage.jpg

Coat hook in Grab handle
Feature also available on: Fabia, Figo, i20, Liva, Polo, Vista

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntograb-handle-coat-hook.jpg

Theatre Dimming Cabin Light
Video featured of: Punto
Feature also available on: i20& Sail U-VA

Luggage hook / strap in boot

Images featured of: Hook in Polo & Strap (Velcro) in Punto
Feature also available on: Hooks in Fabia, i20, Swift and an extra bag hook on the B-pillar in the Polo (image below main image)

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-polobag-hook-boot.jpg

Strap (Velcro) in Punto

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-puntoluggage-strap-boot.jpg

Nifty bag hook on the B-pillar in the Polo

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-polohook-bpillar.jpg

Boot close grab handle
Feature also available on: Figo, Punto, Liva, Micra, Vista, Fabia (strap)

Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks-poloboot-grab-handle.jpg

Last edited by jessie007 : 2nd November 2012 at 16:10.
jessie007 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 14:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene Forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 13th December 2011, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Does the figo not come with the electric boot opener in the LXi model ? Because that definitely deserves a mention. I think thats unique in the segment. Boot open with the flick of a button.

Also the space above the glove box (on the dashboard instead of airbags in top models) is present in the figo as well. It is not a covered one although. i think it needs to be corrected.

Theater dimming again is present in the Figo. Not sure if it is there on the base version.

Figo can shutoff the aircon completely. I guess figo should be on that list as well.
I am sure you would have now understood that I happen to own a figo
Old 14th December 2011, 17:34   #5
BHPian

@figo_mba: Thanks for the inputs. I've checked regarding the twin glovebox and it is true, Figo has an open space where the airbag is in higher variants - in fact I was able to search a picture, which was from the Team-Bhpian's review only.

Regarding the boot release it is mentioned under "Internal Boot Release" - which can be a pull-type lever or a push-type button. If you meant "remote" boot release, then it is not there in the base model. Please double-check regarding the AC vents shut completely, it is mentioned in the comparison.

Need confirmation on the theatre-dimming light.

Yes your call-sign was a dead giveaway to you owning a Figo. I admire your trust in not only one manufacturer but a particular model. Hope you intend to change your car in the future, because as it is Figo is based on an old Fiesta model (2002). Or maybe you can go with Figo meaning "cool" in Italian.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing with us, the list of features and equipment available in hatchbacks these days. Should be of great help for those who are in the market for a hatch and like nitpicking

However, I wonder why you've included the Brio in this comparo, when the Jazz would have made more sense. IMO, the Brio is a notch lower than some of these cars here. Where as the Jazz competes with most of these cars.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
@figo_mba:

Regarding the boot release it is mentioned under "Internal Boot Release" - which can be a pull-type lever or a push-type button.
I think as you said Internal Boot release function covers it.

Quote:
Please double-check regarding the AC vents shut completely, it is mentioned in the comparison.
My bad. I was a bit confused and missed it. You are absolutely right.

Quote:
Need confirmation on the theatre-dimming light.
Could not find it in the e brochure on the ford website.

Quote:
Yes your call-sign was a dead giveaway to you owning a Figo. I admire your trust in not only one manufacturer but a particular model. Hope you intend to change your car in the future, because as it is Figo is based on an old Fiesta model (2002). Or maybe you can go with Figo meaning "cool" in Italian.
I change the car when I have done 100K kms and I think by this rate I would sell of the car in another year or year and a half (38K per year). Till then the handle could mean the figo that I own and then probably the Italian word for "Cool".
I happen to have a Fiat Linea as well but seriously this is more fun than that. I am sure no one would believe that. anyways.
I know it is late to thank you for the effort you have put it but still my heartfelt thanks for this list. I can direct a lot of my friends here (those who want cars in these segments).
Old 14th December 2011, 20:12   #8
BHPian

Nice write up jessie
The figo base has no internal boot release button.its manual like old 800s.the figo also has full black interiors, no silver finish anywhere! Also there is no antenna but wiring for it, one would need to purchase an antenna for 600 bucks!.
Does the figo have a digital clock?? i dont think mine has!

Thanks!
Old 14th December 2011, 22:56   #9
BHPian

wow, brilliant effort, but you need to include the Jazz too. Since the swift as well as the i20 are here,and the i20 is actually costlier than the Honda as on date!
Old 15th December 2011, 18:47   #10
BHPian

@suhaas307 & @abhi413 - You will find the answer to your queries/comments in my post only (Quoted below). You can also see the tentative ex-showroom Delhi prices on top of the excel sheet which has been given as a guide and has been taken from the respective manufacturers websites.

Quote:
Honda Jazz isn’t included as the price of the base model is 5 lakhs plus, whereas the range in the comparison is 3.7-4.6 lakhs for petrol and 4.6-5.7 lakhs for diesel (ex-showroom Delhi).
As per Honda's website, the current ex-showroom price of Jazz is 5.50 lakhs, which comes to around 6 lakhs on-road – which is in sedan territory. The Hyundai i20 petrol Era model is 4.59 lakhs, so is definitely less expensive than the Jazz, by around 90k. We are not taking into account the discounts and offers which keep on changing from time to time.

Agreed, the Jazz is a very respectable vehicle in terms of dynamics and the space it offers, which is even more than some sedans. I myself specially like the middle row seats that fold-up. But as per my criteria, it doesn’t make the cut in this comparison. However, I do intend to do another comparison based on models/variants available within a certain price band, which should be interesting.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:12   #11
BHPian

Swift base variant could definitely do with front power windows, central locking, and a tacho (especially for a sporty car!). That way its just leaving room for the sporty Brio, which has all 3 features in its 4lac base model, and an even more powerful engine! Not to speak of more space at the rear?!

Brio just seems to me great value for money today.
Old 16th December 2011, 17:54   #12
BHPian

I think the Chevy Beat has been forgotten in this comparison. Any particular reason?
Old 16th December 2011, 18:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@suhaas307 & @abhi413...

...I do intend to do another comparison based on models/variants available within a certain price band, which should be interesting.
I'm sorry I do not understand the criteria.

How does the Jazz not make this comparison? If it's a price thing, then I'm sorry, in that case, you shouldn't be including the Polo petrol, the Fabia petrol or the Swift petrol either, as they are roughly 5-6 lakhs ex-showroom as well, and isn't that sedan-territory?

And if you take the top-of-the-line Brio, for example, it will set you back by 6 lakhs on-the-road in a city like Bangalore.

I do understand that the Jazz is 5.5 lakhs ex-showroom. In that case, what about the Swift and the Polo, which are incidentally in the same price-bracket, and cost a few thousands lesser? As per the excel-sheet, the ex-showroom prices that you've mentioned for some cars, including the i20, are all close to 6 lakhs.

So I don't see why you've singled out the Jazz here, which would have thumped every other car in the petrol-car-comparison.

Quote:
Nifty spring loaded cup holder on the front passenger side in the swift
This is a feature that was originally found on the Jazz. The strategically placed cup-holders that will keep your drink cool as it faces the AC vents.

Quote:
Boot light
Image featured of: Fabia’s massive, class leading 315 litres boot with boot lamp
The Fabia's boot is 315, but it isn't class leading. The Jazz has undoubtedly the largest boot in its class. Its 350 liter boot can put some sedans out there, to shame.

Sir,

I sincerely suggest you include the Jazz in this comparison. There is no reason as to why it should be left out, unless it's a personal thing with you, and you intentionally would like to keep it away.

This comparison has all the premium hatchbacks covered, and the Jazz falls in that category. If it does not fall under this category, then which comparison can you include it in, in the first place?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised at the inclusion of Nissan Micra, Honda Brio as B+ segment hatch. Even Ford Figo looks 50-50 case. It doesn't looks and priced like premium hatch but sizewise, it does. Honda Jazz and Ritz should've been included IMHO.
This is very very informative thread and I feel that it"ll grow as time passes.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:39   #15
BHPian

Great writeup! Thanks for all the details.
But I believe that since you are comparing B+ cars and not cars of a certain price band as such, the Jazz should have been included.
As some folks have already mentioned, it would have trumped quite a few criteria you have on the list.

Maruti Ritz should also be included in the comparo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks