Team-BHP - Scoop Pic! *Improved* Chevrolet Tavera spotted
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop Pic! *Improved* Chevrolet Tavera spotted (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/112027-scoop-pic-improved-chevrolet-tavera-spotted.html)

A GJ registered Test Car was parked in the visitors parking area in my apartment. The badging was "Neo 3" - Back looks exactly the same as earlier Tavera. Front was covered. I peeked inside and the dash was much better looking - I would say much better put together. There were a lot of test equipment inside the vehicle. The attached snap is from my phone. By the time I could go and get a proper camera, the vehicle had vanished.

Scoop Pic! *Improved* Chevrolet Tavera spotted-chneo3.jpg

There was some news doing the rounds of GM sourcing the engine for the Tavera from ICML (Rhino). Not sure if that went through or the current status on that. Is the current Tavera BS4 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 2599179)
There was some news doing the rounds of GM sourcing the engine for the Tavera from ICML (Rhino). Not sure if that went through or the current status on that. Is the current Tavera BS4 ?

The one in the picture above had clear BS4 markings. Am not sure whether the current one is BS4 or not.

Current one aint a BS4 but yes they are taking Sonalika's engine used in the Rhino currently. Lets hope they do a better face lift and power is good because the new Sumo Gold has improved quite a bit at-least in terms of engine department.

Thanks for sharing, Chennai-Indian!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 2598985)
I peeked inside and the dash was much better looking - I would say much better put together.

Good to hear. If there are two issues with the current Tavera, it's the interior that looks 25 years too old, and the engine that lacks power by current standards. It's outdated, yes, but the UV market couldn't care less, as long as its competent. Just ask the Bolero.

Yes, however, from my personal experience, i just hope that they have improved upon the suspension. Also, the seats are far too low. Not good for long distance commute (even beyond 60 kms)

Hope this new makeover (or should I say a mild makeover..) gives the Tavera a thrust that it always needed in terms of sales and market presence. Any idea why this vehicle never posed a threat to people movers from either TATA or Mahindra?

Good scoop chennai_indian! Thanks for sharing.

Any idea when was the last time Tavera was facelifted/relaunched? I always believed that the Tavera design has never changed from its launch in India.

Not 100 % sure but i saw a car on Palm beach road in Navi Mumbai which has written "On Test" on it's number plate the side profile of which was very similar to the tavera. It seemed to have refreshed tail lamps than the ones present now. If tavera was a 1990's design this looked like 1991 (Not much changes). It was a black colored car

If this is the new tavera on cards, What happened to the story of a GM Wuling vehicle as a replacement for Tavera. It was speculated even in automags that GM Wuling vehicle would be a Tavera replacement.

It looks remotely like the Wuling vehicle. This looks more like the current tavera with some minor facelifts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 2601651)
If this is the new tavera on cards, What happened to the story of a GM Wuling vehicle as a replacement for Tavera. It was speculated even in automags that GM Wuling vehicle would be a Tavera replacement.

It looks remotely like the Wuling vehicle. This looks more like the current tavera with some minor facelifts.

I think Tavera will co-exist with the Wuling one If I'm not mistaken. Looks like they will have Tavera for the taxi/cab segment and the Wuling vehicle will probably be more "premiuim".

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 2601661)
I think Tavera will co-exist with the Wuling one If I'm not mistaken. Looks like they will have Tavera for the taxi/cab segment and the Wuling vehicle will probably be more "premiuim".

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

If there is a Wuling to attack the upper market and the current facelift Tavera portrayed here is for the lower end market (read taxis and cabs) why should GM use good quality materials and provide better finish when cabbies anyway purchase Tavera as is. Secondly, cabbies dont care for fit, finish and build quality.

One big miss is the "orange" blinkers. I would have preferred plain glass blinkers with orange bulbs.

What is the strategy here ? any guesses ? I am really cluelessplease:

ICB have reported another sighting of the Chevy Tavera. Here is the link:

Chevrolet Tavera Facelift spied in an ICB Exclusive! | IndianCarsBikes.in

The alloys look good & the 2-tone colour of the test mule is pleasing too. Hope they launch the BS4 vehicle soon.

If this looks anything like the Isuzu Sportivo, it would be a good Botox job.

pic taken from motorbeam.