Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Peugeot (including 508 sedan) @ Auto Expo 2012

my first reaction to Peugeot was - amazing. The vehicles are different in design yet not standing out. More of an elegant designing.
They have to be correct on pricing if they want to make a mark here, Peugeot is not a BMW, or a Merc or an Audi, they can not charge a brand premium...yet.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ugly designs - RCZ and 3008. The 508 looks bland. May be white is not a good color on this car. Huge headlights and tail lights is all one can see. Nothing attractive.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th January 2012 at 22:03.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

The 508 looks splendid.Amazing lines , very well proportionate and strong European styling.The white looks all the more attractive. Now Peugeot let me give you some market feedback before you spend millions of rupees to understand the Indian market. For the 508 , focus on the diesel.Don't bother bringing in the petrol. Get some beige and wood on the inside.( we Indians love beige and wood ) and load it up with gizmos. And price your car sensibly so it matches if not undercuts the rivals ( read skoda superb/ vw passat/accord ) . Lastly launch an amazing marketing campaign so people know what the 508 is. And then maybe you will see your car leaving the showroom. Otherwise I see another Nissan tiena in the making.
Old 11th January 2012, 00:07   #19
BHPian

The 508 is no doubt a looker. But at a price of above 20 lakhs it would struggle to sell 50 units a month. They should try to start ckd operations as soon as possible, ideally before launching the car!
Old 11th January 2012, 08:52   #20
BHPian

IMO 508 might actually have a better chance of success than most people realize. Currently if you want a diesel sedan from that segment, you pretty have to buy a superb or a passat (not even considering sonata transform). If they manage to keep the price below these rivals and offer a decent level of gizmos, they have a winner at hand.

Quote:
They should try to start ckd operations as soon as possible, ideally before launching the car!
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully that'll help with the pricing.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

508 looks good, something that's different from all other german cars. Really liked the interiors too. But 20L+ ? Is it worth that? Check the pic. Didnt anyone notice this? Is it because it was display car but definitely not expected in a car that 20L+
Attached Thumbnails
Peugeot (including 508 sedan) @ Auto Expo 2012-peugeot-508-8.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 12:05   #22
BHPian

508 is just like first sight love design from every corner, and AFAIK it will be manufactured in Sanand plant and the first rolled out model for Indian market. As they have shown this car on the occasion of Muhurat at the plant in Gujarat.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

RCZ might be the most affordable sports car in India if at all they decide to launch it. It has the looks and hopefully a powerful engine to back it up.
Thought 5008 would have been a better fit compared to 3008 which might take head on with Innova.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:48   #24
BHPian

The cars are so "not french" by design. I think they have learnt some styling cues from the Italians.
508 looks excellent and if positioned right, should be a good entry point for the logo.

@naveen.raju - thats good catch and I would definitely not like to see such blunders if I am spending more than 2 million on it. Otherwise looks a good package.

Why not 207 along with 508 for Peugeot? The right entry point should also appeal general public. What will they do selling 20 units a month in premium category if masses dont even recognise the logo? just my 2 cents.

Last edited by advaitlele : 11th January 2012 at 13:50. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
Old 11th January 2012, 14:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Love the rear and the neatly set dual exhausts on the 508

A 2.2 turbo diesel with 204 BHP and 450 Nm of torque sounds sweet too!!

But with a 20+ lac price tag, don't you think it's priced on the wrong side of 20L?

Also, does Peugeot have any plans to manufacture this in India in the future. This would reduce the price. No?

Edit: - What is the set of 7-8 LED (i assume) behind the projectors in the headlight casing?

Th3 508 would look smoking in Red!!

The 508 looks amazing in Black. I don't think it has the 204bhp engine. It will be around 160bhp is what I know.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
The cars are so "not french" by design. I think they have learnt some styling cues from the Italians.
508 looks excellent and if positioned right, should be a good entry point for the logo.

@naveen.raju - thats good catch and I would definitely not like to see such blunders if I am spending more than 2 million on it. Otherwise looks a good package.

Why not 207 along with 508 for Peugeot? The right entry point should also appeal general public. What will they do selling 20 units a month in premium category if masses dont even recognise the logo? just my 2 cents.

The 207 and 508 were both part of the testing that Peugeot were conducting in India. Although it looks like the 508 will be the first car to be launched the 207 will follow soon. My guess is that they are waiting for the plant in Gujarat to be ready before they roll out the 207. It makes sense too since the a CBU 207 will be way overpriced for the segment.

If they launch it as a CBU and then once local assembly/manufacturing starts and the price comes down, they risk diluting the brand and also risk having angry customers -- remember Daewoo Cielo?
Old 11th January 2012, 15:16   #27
BHPian

Simply stunning looking 508 SW
Old 11th January 2012, 16:16   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Take two cases:

Case1: Skoda--> Unknown when it came to India--> sold Octavias --> People bought tons of cars--> They appreciated the cars--> Surprising 'premium' position for the brand.

Case2: Renault--> Averagely known--> Gunned for 'premium positioning' for Fluence, Koleos--> Not many cars sell--> Still an averagely known/respected brand.

Which approach would you pick?
Great post. However, we shouldn't forget that Skoda entered at a time (year 2001) when the 10+ lakh segment didn't exist. It was one of the earliest players in that category, offering a solid diesel car to those upgrading from Esteems, Citys, Lancers & Astras.

Renault, on the other hand, was an extremely late entrant to the market. Of course, Renault's strategy is also a dud (poor pricing and equipment for the diesel).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 19:50   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 508 will initially be imported as a CBU, hence expect pricing in the region of mid-20s. It's one solid European car, and that has looks to match. I never really cared much about it, until I saw it in person. The lines are extremely proportionate & the luxo-sedan does look like a million bucks.
Even though a CBU, I guess they will try to match the pricing of the CKD rivals in the same segment. Internationally do have a price advantage over the likes of Passat, Mondeo etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The awkward looking 3008 is Peugeot's 5-seater crossover. The crowds were attracted to its MPV-like stance, but disappointed at the lack of a 3rd row of seats. Rear legroom is surprisingly limited. The 3008 ought to give India a pass
Really a practical alternative to a sedan or hatchback. Seen quite a few on the road here, and I was told that the 3008 is quite popular in markets like Australia. 5008 is the big brother MPV with 3rd row seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Take two cases:
Case1: Skoda--> Unknown when it came to India--> sold Octavias --> People bought tons of cars--> They appreciated the cars--> Surprising 'premium' position for the brand.
Case2: Renault--> Averagely known--> Gunned for 'premium positioning' for Fluence, Koleos--> Not many cars sell--> Still an averagely known/respected brand.
Which approach would you pick?
Interesting! Just thinking – if Skoda came in our markets now, could it have been a Case2 situation as well?
Old 11th January 2012, 20:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

The 508 is a real beauty. Its good killer looks, a brilliant engine, enough gadgets to give the VAG cars company, and the Euro build quality. BUTTT I'm pretty sure this is not going to sell too much. The reason is that they are bringing it in as a CBU, so the prices are sure to be high. Peugeot is not a very well known brand here, and they ticked off enough people earlier, so it is not really a desirable brand at the moment. I don't see people stretching their budget the same way they would for a Merc, Audi or BMW.

Honestly, any carmaker that is really serious about India cannot afford to bring any car in as a CBU below 50l since it will be priced way above the competition. People would not go for a car priced higher than the competition unless it has something extraordinary to offer, which it doesn't.

Skoda managed to pull it off with the high prices because it was the first car to offer a great diesel engine, and Euro build quality below the C class. Hence is managed to gain its premium tag and yet when you see the Superb its exceptional VFM.

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion on the latest Peugeot thread. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 12:49. Reason: Adding link to new thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks