Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 12:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Corolla Altis Automatic now available in 2 variants

The Altis AT was earlier available only in the fully loaded VL trim level. This had all the bells and whistles like xenons, leather seats, 8 way electric seats, start/stop button, smart keyless entry and more.

The Altis has a 1.8L engine with dual-VVTi (variably valve timing on both intake and exhaust) and an output of 140 BHP. The transmission is a new 7 speed Super CVT-i box. Basically it's CVT box that is designed to work like a regular torque converter AT.

Toyota is now offering the AT in the lower G trim as well, called the G(HV). Compared to the fully loaded VL trim, following features are different:
- No Electric seats
- No leather upholstery
- No Xenons with headlamp washers
- No retractable rear sun shade
- No start/stop button
- Keyless entry without smart entry
- Full leather wrapped steering (no half wood)

You still get that new touchscreen audio system with bluetooth in the G variant.

There is no brochure available yet for this new variant so some features may still be left out above. Will confirm once I get more details.

The best part is that the G(HV) trim is 1.25lakhs lesser than the VL trim and lesser than the manual top end GL trim.

Following are the prices Ex-Delhi:
1.8G - Rs.12,56,813
1.8G(HV)- Rs.13,76,000 (AT)
1.8GL - Rs.13,92,729
1.8VL - Rs.14,98,143 (AT)

This is now the cheapest AT in D segment undercutting the Fluence, Laura and Cruze.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th February 2012 at 13:04.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Automatic now available in 2 variants

Does the Altis come with Xenon headlights? I know it features the HID unit... Yes, Camry comes with Xenon headlights not Altis
Old 15th February 2012, 13:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Does the Altis come with Xenon headlights? I know it features the HID unit... Yes, Camry comes with Xenon headlights not Altis
The top end VL and GL have Xenon's a.k.a HID headlamps. HID is the same as Xenons. HID is the technology whereas the Xenon is the gas used.

The Camry has HID xenons with projector setup whereas the Altis has a normal reflector with xenons.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Looks like nobody has told Toyota (& other manufacturers) yet that they could significantly increase AT sales if it is offered with a diesel engine.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:36   #5
BHPian

Good move by Toyota but I agree with the above comment - why no AT in the diesel variant? The diesel not only needs an AT but also a mighty price cut for the engine on offer. I also wonder how that puny 1.4L D4D engine would perform with an AT.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

At least Toyota has multiple AT options as far as trim levels are concerned. Others only have one trim. Why no Diesel AT, well surely there is market for one, lets who who makes the first move.

Comparing to other manufacturers i see Toyota slightly more serious about the Indian automobile market.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks like nobody has told Toyota (& other manufacturers) yet that they could significantly increase AT sales if it is offered with a diesel engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Good move by Toyota but I agree with the above comment - why no AT in the diesel variant? The diesel not only needs an AT but also a mighty price cut for the engine on offer. I also wonder how that puny 1.4L D4D engine would perform with an AT.
Guys the Altis sells around 600 - 700 cars monthly in India. The diesel 1.4 is used is unique only for India and Spain.

Why would Toyota go out and develop a brand new transmission just for India and Spain for such low numbers? If they had a transmission already then it's not a problem but to develop one is not economically feasible.

The petrol is what brings in the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
At least Toyota has multiple AT options as far as trim levels are concerned. Others only have one trim. Why no Diesel AT, well surely there is market for one, lets who who makes the first move.

Comparing to other manufacturers i see Toyota slightly more serious about the Indian automobile market.
The move has already been made by Skoda, VW and Chevrolet. All offer automatics in diesel. Hyundai has been offering on the Verna CRDi as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys the Altis sells around 600 - 700 cars monthly in India. The diesel 1.4 is used is unique only for India and Spain.

Why would Toyota go out and develop a brand new transmission just for India and Spain for such low numbers? If they had a transmission already then it's not a problem but to develop one is not economically feasible.

The petrol is what brings in the numbers.

The move has already been made by Skoda, VW and Chevrolet. All offer automatics in diesel. Hyundai has been offering on the Verna CRDi as well.
I'm sure the Altis AT diesel will have buyers. But Toyota needs to correct the pricing of the car first. It is atleast 3-4L overpriced with that 1.4L engine. To be honest, the diesel Altis does not deserve to be compared to the Skoda (Laura), VW (Jetta) and Chevy (Cruze). It is in all fairness a segment lower.

Developing an AT for the 1.4D will also give Toyota an option to offer it in the Etios/Liva diesel in the future. Wishful thinking I know.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 15th February 2012 at 14:57.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm sure the Altis AT diesel will have buyers. But Toyota needs to correct the pricing of the car first. It is atleast 3-4L overpriced with that 1.4L engine. To be honest, the diesel Altis does not deserve to be compared to the Skoda (Laura), VW (Jetta) and Chevy (Cruze). It is in all fairness a segment lower.
Yes but what I'm trying to say is the numbers will still be nowhere near as to justify development costs for a new transmission.

Moreover the 1.4 D-4D has been added just for the sake of having a diesel. If my driver is driving I don't really care if I have 150bhp or 50bhp. When Skoda was selling the Octavia in India it had a 1.9L 90bhp engine in a very heavy shell. The L&K at that time was above 15lakhs. Noone complained of that being underpowered. They were getting fantastic FE in a premium car which was what the market wanted.

We are going OT. The topic is the introduction of new petrol AT variant and not "why doesnt toyota have a diesel AT".
Old 15th February 2012, 15:31   #10
BHPian

Great move by Toyota in introducing 2 Trims in AT. The lower spec/price would definetly attract more folks.

I think the discussion of " Why not diesel" is becoming a norm in India and it may change eventually with the additional cess and deregulation of prices of diesel

Last edited by Vasuki : 15th February 2012 at 15:34.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:46   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great move by Toyota and one that makes the Civic AT look even more over-priced. I think Automatics ought to do better than they are in India, and lower priced variants will only widen the appeal.

Looking at the loss of features, no one will miss anything other than the leather seats (which can easily be sourced from the after-market anyway).

Too bad the Altis doesn't get a bigger diesel engine + AT; it would absolutely murder the German competition (the Laura & Jetta).

Quote:
If my driver is driving I don't really care if I have 150bhp or 50bhp.
Not really. The addition of a diesel variant hasn't done anything to the Altis' sales, unlike in most other cars where it doubles volume. Clearly, the market hasn't taken too kindly to the puny engine. Also, the first question a lot of urban customers ask is "How much cc (as in cubic capacity)?"

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2012 at 15:52.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a good sign that carmakers are waking up to the fact that someone may want the comfort and convenience of an AT without the bells and whistles that most of us view as wasteful. Skoda set the tone with the Rapid Ambition and now this. I would have seriously considered the 7-speed AT during my own purchase if it had been available in lower trim then.

Good move, Toyota!
Old 15th February 2012, 18:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Have a look at Skoda, they have a DSG variant available in all the trims in Diesel. That makes 5 variants for Laura Diesel and 3 variants for TSI(all Manual). If the local dealer is to be believed, DSG variants are more popular than the manual ones.

EDIT: Correction- Diesel has 5 variants not 6, L&K does not come with MT.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th February 2012 at 20:13. Reason: See note above
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 19:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

A positive move from Toyota! I am sure there are buyers who want to have the AT comfort, but taken aback by the high price of the top variant. And IMHO, the only significant miss (compared to the top variant) is the HID and leather seats. And I feel the full leather wrapped steering is actually a plus compared to the half-wood stuff.

And regarding diesel AT, I don’t think anything much will change (on sales) if Toyota is continuing with the existing diesel motor. Instead, I think the 1.6 petrol at a lower price point can really boost the sale. More because currently Toyota does not have a player in the City/Vento segment.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, the first question a lot of urban customers ask is "How much cc (as in cubic capacity)?"
Does this imply that a Fiat Punto 90bhp, Ford Endeavour 3.0L, Hyundai Verna 1.6 or its own i20 1.4petrol command more enquiries or sales than its underpowered variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks