View Poll Results: What matters more?
Horsepower 0 0%
Driving Skill 18 100.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 13:08   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power or skills! What matters more?

The original question was about skill or power. All else being equal, the driver's skill is what will make the difference.

You guys can keep adding points and try to make your answers comprehensive, and all encompassing. But to understand / prove which one of the two options is more important, you will need to draw a reference line first, and then give your views. Adding views, factors, circumstances will only take the discussion on an inter-galactic discovery mission
Old 4th March 2012, 13:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well, look at it this way. When you have more power, you need even more skill to make sure you use it well, safely and put it to decent use. Skill, of course, determines (whatever it is that we're trying to determine here).
zenx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:39   #33
BHPian

The reason I put this question up in the first place was because I have met many people who honestly do not know the "D" of driving and talk about BHP, Torque and what not and when it comes to clearing a 1 1/2 kms of dirt track which leads to our place, they cannot judge and come past that without getting their underbody scarped... All this in cars like swifts, vernas, etc which have a reasonably good ground clearance. I guess skills here are really important .And when it comes to power, on roads like the Bangalore-Mysore highway, there have been many occasions where we have seen drivers in M800s and Altos put some of the latest cars to shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Very hot discussion! But let me be a spoilsport!

What kind of "skills" are we talking about? We are talking of real life driving & on tarmac. If we are talking about friendly races to prove who is better, I agree that a powerful car with a good handling can beat the one with a lesser rank.

The thread starter also mentioned about Sakleshpur & Ladakh, where straight line speeds are simply out of contention due to bad roads. If the question was how could some one in a hatch tackle these places & roads, shouldn't this attribute more to the vehicle capability & robustness to handle the conditions [Does power & skills really have a role to play in these conditions]?

If we were talking about drag races, 4WD expeditions and all, then the driver skills matter a lot, but do we need so much skills in making a trip to Sakleshpur or Ladakh??

It could very well be that I have NOT understood the terms mentioned in the question, and hence I have raised my doubts - no intention of show off or nit-picking!
I completely agree with your point of view sir and with due respect to your views, I have to say here that in places like Ladakh especially, skills matter a lot. With proper driving skills, knowledge of your vehicle and judgement capabilities, it is impossible for people to clear certain stretches even in the best car.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th March 2012 at 01:15.
Old 15th March 2013, 13:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt it has to be driver skill. Power only accentuates driver skill. For example look at how competitive Fernando Alonso is while his team mate is struggling in the middle of the grid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks