Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:04   #1
BHPian

News:Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India

BANGALORE, MARCH 1:
Fiat is evaluating the option of launching cars from its Chrysler portfolio, which includes Jeep, Dodge and the Chrysler, in India.

“I believe that we should look at cars from the Fiat-Chrysler portfolio and we are studying that continuously,” Fiat India Senior Vice-President, corporate commercial, Mr Enrico Atanasio, said.

He said one of the vehicles which Fiat would be keen on launching would be “people carrier type of vehicles,” like the sports utility vehicles.

Mr Atanasio admitted that Fiat is not satisfied with the growth rate achieved in India so far and hence is trying to find the strategy for the market.

“But lot is cooking in terms of the future. We will reinforce our presence and will work on future products,” he said.

DUAL DEALERSHIP

With Fiat shedding its dual existence (which means joint showrooms, dealerships with Tata Motors), Mr Atanasio said it would lead to better sales for the Italian car maker.

“It is pretty evident that Indian customers are not comfortable with dual model strategy,” he said. He pointed out that in Europe, dual dealerships are “everywhere” with the same dealer selling cars from different companies.

Fiat is also closely working with Tata Motors to fine-tune its strategy for the Indian market and with the car maker being a leader in the small car market in Europe, it expects to perform much better in the Indian market, the Fiat official said.

He said that the company has changed its advertising agency and now has a new ad campaign as well and the current set of vehicles have been tweaked for Indian road conditions like better ground clearance as well as a robust AC. “In the volume market, you need to come out with the right product and we are already doing a lot of evaluation,” Mr Atanasio said.

He said that the regional headquarters has now been opened in Shanghai, which will supervise the operations in India. “For Chrysler and Fiat, the next biggest growth markets are in India and china,” he said.

link:Business Line : Companies News : Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India
justin.das is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Re: News:Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India

Good for them if they bring Chrysler and Dodge down here. Cant wait to see the 300C and the Charger on our streets! As for the dual dealership model- it doesnt work in India as it works in Europe, i guess.
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:11   #3
BHPian

That's really good news. Chrysler's cars are great and they must come to India with this - The Dodge DART! That is a looker and will offer serious competition to the Cruze.

PS - Do Chrysler have any RHD models in their camp? I think all their models are LHD.

Here are two Dart images for your viewing pleasure.

News:Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India-dodge-dart-front.jpg

News:Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India-dodge-dart-rear.jpg
designersf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:29   #4
BHPian

Me thinks Fiat should first try selling more Punto and Lineas.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think they are seriously contemplating this for two reasons.

1) A clean slate with none of the present stories and history of Fiat attached to it. Chrysler will be marketed as a separate brand I am assuming.
2) Chrysler gives them a wider range of products in their portfolio and thus attracts a braoder spectrum of clients.

In addition, I really believe they should disassociate themselves from Tata and sell their cars independently. At that point, they can consider the dual dealership model strategy with Fiat and Chrysler.
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:56   #6
BHPian

Is there anyone who can shed some light on the TML-FIAT jv?

What are the exit clauses WRT marketing/service of FIAT products - by that I mean moving both the functions out of the slothful TML sales/service network?

Has TML been compelled to agree to FIAT going independent because of TML not meeting benchmarks set for sales numbers under the JV?

If, as has been posted earlier FIAT starts with a clean slate with a product portfolio (from both the FIAT and Chrysler stables) that offers a wider choice to customers , then it certainly bodes well for the Indian customers. Also it conveys the impression much more forcefully that the commitment of the company is much higher than is generally perceived to be.
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I hope they do a case study of Skoda thoroughly before launching Chrysler brand in India. Hardly anyone knows Chrysler name here. However, they have to extra careful with Jeep brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
PS - Do Chrysler have any RHD models in their camp? I think all their models are LHD.
Yes, I've seen plenty in South Africa (I remember Caliber and its predecessor, Neon).
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:28   #8
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 18:45.
Fiat&Me is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:02   #9
BHPian

Jeep in India?! wow!

They should cash upon the heritage associated with the name Jeep here. People go gaga over the term in rural areas and given the rising purchasing power this can easily be converted into a success story. Also the looks of Jeep cars, IMO that is what Indians look for when they look for looks in an SUV
Old 4th March 2012, 09:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
BANGALORE, MARCH 1:
Fiat is evaluating the option of launching cars from its Chrysler portfolio, which includes Jeep, Dodge and the Chrysler, in India.

“I believe that we should look at cars from the Fiat-Chrysler portfolio and we are studying that continuously,” Fiat India Senior Vice-President, corporate commercial, Mr Enrico Atanasio, said.

He said one of the vehicles which Fiat would be keen on launching would be “people carrier type of vehicles,” like the sports utility vehicles.

<snip>
That's probably a hint at Dodge Caravan/Town and Country type vehicles to begin with. It makes sense.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:38   #11
BHPian

What from Chrysler's portfolio will they sell in India? Fiat India needs mass market products and I do not quiet see any in Chrysler range. Further more Chryslers are not really premium (bulk of their sales are fleet) nor known for their quality.

The Dodge portfolio (Charger, Caliber, Viper, Durango etc.) are pretty much irrelevant to India. Avenger, Journey or Caravan may have some relevance, but I feel there are better options available in India. Chrysler's range (200, 300, Town & Country - same as Caravan) too are too American to be relevant to India. Jeep has Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler, but they too will end up as niche products with no mass appeal.

So it will be interesting to see what Fiat intends t do with Chrysler brand in India, sell products from Chrysler's portfolio or sell Fiat products under Chrysler brand.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:50   #12
BHPian

Its true that Fiat must increase there brand image in India in-order to survive here. In my experience when I referred Fiat brand to my friends and family there response was "Fiat" ? whats so special about it? We will go for VW (which is huge German brand) or Toyota or Honda(which are reliable and have better re sale value). Fiat must educate the Indian customers about its Brand value, which will attract lot of customers. Everyone knows Honda V-Tec but no one knows that Worlds first Variable valve timing engine was developed by Fiat and MultiAir is one of the worlds best.Every one thinks Hyundai is the one who introduced CRDI, they don't know that Fiat is the one who developed it. Every one knows that VW is something big and no one knows how big Fiat group is. If they advertise who they are, there is a bright future waiting for Fiat India. Just introducing Fiat Cafe doesn't increase brand image.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 18:47. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
justin.das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 20:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
Fiat must educate the Indian customers about its Brand value
If they advertise who they are, there is a bright future waiting for Fiat India.
I suppose Brand value is earned/gained, than educated. Similarly, inventing something ahead of others gives patent rights. Translating these inventions into unique valuable offerings in products is what gives market acceptance for products. Reviving a brand may need lot more hard work than establishing a new brand.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
I suppose Brand value is earned/gained, than educated. Similarly, inventing something ahead of others gives patent rights. Translating these inventions into unique valuable offerings in products is what gives market acceptance for products.
Yes you are right brand value is earned but i think fiat's indian history and image ruined all those possibilities.for a majority of indian customers fiat is a premier padmini fame brand nothing more.for old fiat customers(fiat uno,palio,petra,sienna) cars are reliable but spare parts are costly,poor re sale value.bad company history in india(Fiat left india lasttime ) so they are not sure about fiat future too.I think these are the main issue Fiat India is facing.Majority of above average customers are ready to invest there money on foreign brands and they are ok with the spare parts cost considering the brand value but when it comes to fiat almost everyone thinks why should i pay this much price for spares for a brand like fiat.No one knows that fiat is a 100+ year old brand with a huge portfolio and offers some the worlds best technologies in there cars.according to my knowledge Fiat SPA Italy is the only brand in the world which builds car from scratch.Every other brands takes raw materials from other companys from raw metal to components. Teksid(Fiat subsidary) is the world’s largest producer of gray and nodular iron castings.Comau(Fiat subsidary) Machines which make Machines.Magnetti Marelli(Fiat subsidary)World renowned component manufaturer.Centro Stile Fiat(Fiat design Studio).Fiat invented some of the worlds best engine technologies,suspension systems.Still they are nothing in Indian Market.
justin.das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 11:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow ... thats a great news. They should think of launching chrysler 300 in India. Its a great sedan. I heard it is also the car that saved chrysler from further dip in the market.

When i went to US i just loved that car. It looks really muscular & has great stance on the road. It looks really cool. May be little old fashioned but looks stunning. Please launch that car in India. I will buy one if it is affordable to me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks