Team-BHP - A Silent Launch: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Celebration Edition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   A Silent Launch: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Celebration Edition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/117162-silent-launch-maruti-suzuki-sx4-celebration-edition.html)

Just came across this 'Celebration edition' of Maruti Suzuki SX4 at Autocar India forum, spotted by dr_nishu member there.

A Silent Launch: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Celebration Edition-l6anal.jpg

http://archive.autocarindia.com/auto...s.asp?TID=9695

It features the cosmetic add-ons to the top-end SX4 variants, like;
-Refreshed Premium Upholstery.
-New Door Armrest cover in Black-wood finish.
-Chrome Bezels around Side AC vents.
-Side Body Graphics.
-Celebration Edition badge.

What is this celebration edition for, are they celebrating lack of sales of SX4. Not sure when will MSIL learn to price their cars right (Read Kizashi) and stop launching these spruced up editions which add no value to the customer.

Of the given list of additions you forgot to add, MSIL is also giving Celebration Edition Floor Mats and Pillows. Somehow i have never really understood this pillow business, even Vento had this.

Needless to say there are no changes under the hood.

If the SX4 and the Ertiga were sold with a bigger engine, I would consider them for purchase without a second thought. The fact that they have the same engine as the Ritz makes me step away from them. The SX4 is a beautiful car and it is sad that Suzuki has not been able to give it the engine it deserves.

The Kizashi would have been a success if it were not a CBO and was priced lower - they could have pitched it against the Chevrolet Cruz (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Cruz is popular because of the engine).

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_nitin_r (Post 2707952)

The Kizashi would have been a success if it were not a CBO and was priced lower - they could have pitched it against the Chevrolet Cruz (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Cruz is popular because of the engine).

True that.

Kizashi is virtually non-existant here. I am yet to see a Kizashi on the road. You are right, MSIL could've pitched it against the Cruz if they had the pricing right. I believe Cruz is popular because of its tremendous looks rather than its engine. Come on, how many people who buy a car really know about the engine except how many 'cc' the engine is.

Quote:

If the SX4 and the Ertiga were sold with a bigger engine, I would consider them for purchase without a second thought. The fact that they have the same engine as the Ritz makes me step away from them. The SX4 is a beautiful car and it is sad that Suzuki has not been able to give it the engine it deserves.

That is not true mate.. Sx4 got a VGT engine which is 90 Bhp so it is in a different state of tune. And the engine you are talking about is the DDIS/multijet engine that clocks 74 bhp. Though I still find SX4 overpriced by atleast 50k to 60k.

Also you are not taking the petrol variant into account. I guess 1.6l engine is good enough.

And you are correct about the Cruze. That car is not just gizmos but engine all the way.

Quote:

The Ritz has a 1.2L K series petrol and 1.3L DDiS diesel(75BHP) where as SX4 has a 1.6L VVT petrol and 1.3L DDiS diesel(90 BHP due to VGT). So they have different engines in petrol and different power output in diesel(even though the base engine is same).

Another of Maruti's typical "Celebration" edition. I just cannot believe they add "Celebration Edition" badge as feature on this edition.

MSIL needs to stop thinking of the Indian customer as a 8-year old kid who's happy if his regular candy is wrapped in a new colour.

Looks like Maruti has been inspired by the numerous Limited Editions of the Fiesta from Ford.

IMO, manufacturers resort to such tactics only when the car is not selling well.

All these editions weather limited, special, celebration or so start coming at the death point of a particular model. So it definetely signifies that the SX4 is due for a serious upgrade moreso considering the fact that now even Linea has 185 mm of ground clearence. So Maruti better bring the SX4 hatchback with enough goodies and upgrades and also upgrade the sedan so that it can compete with features of the verna, fiesta etc.,.

As most of you have mentioned, this is a very poor attempt. I think the added "feature" list is just ridiculous:

-Refreshed Premium Upholster: Who knows what that means. Need to check. But the upholstery on the current "non-celebration" ZXi variant is pretty good already. So unless they add genuine leather, this does not make much sense.

-New Door Armrest cover in Black-wood finish: Normal ZXi has dark brown color. So who cares if the dark brown is changed to black?

-Chrome Bezels around Side AC vents: My ZXi already has this. So whats this about?

-Side Body Graphics: Yikes!

-Celebration Edition badge: Who cares?

So in summary, nothing really counts here.

If I remember correctly, this Celebration Edition SX4 is to commemorate sales of "10 Million" vehicles in India. Maruti-Suzuki recently rolled out its 10 Millionth car which was apparently a 'Swift'. Since Swift, Alto, Wagon-R, Dzire and Ritz are all already selling well, Maruti-Suzuki would have decided that SX4 needs this 'Celebration Edition' to spruce up numbers.

But, as most others mentioned above, it is a very poor attempt with absolutely useless features (can we call them so?) and additions. This will just add up to the already long list of useless special editions from Maruti like the Alto Xcite, Alto Xfun, Swift Millionth Edition, Ritz Genus, etc.

LOL, to me, the "Celebration Edition" badge looks quite cheap.
I doubt these celebration/anniversary editions actually boost sales. Also, the features they are adding seem pointless.

I think Maruti Suzuki is celebrating the fact that the SX4 still sells. I am not sure if this is priced any differently, hence the minor tid-bits under the guise of features. Comon, this isn't a promotion, just a distinction being offered.

Quote:

Pricing is one aspect, yes. But the only way for Kizashi to succeed is if it comes with a diesel engine. Even the Accord has fallen rather badly in charts as all the competition has diesels now.

I don't know if I'm wrong, but MSIL website now shows only prices for the petrol version. The SX4 site lists the Diesel version, but also doesn't feature it on the price list. So have Maruti stopped producing the Diesel? If so, why are they silent on that? Or did anybody discussed it here, and I missed it?