Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 18:43   #1
BHPian

Registration woes. Toyota dealer says "insufficient documents"!

We have booked an Etios D with Shinrai Toyota, Dr. E Moses Road, Worli. I had told them from the beginning that we would need the car to be registered at my Dombivali address (to save on octroi) and that I would be able to provide with only my phone bill and electricity bill as proof for the same.

Now all of a sudden they are asking me for my Ration card or Election card or passport to register the car. I cannot provide them with any of the above documents as all of them have my Mumbai address on them.

They have outright refused to register my car with out the above documents

If that was not enough, when I asked them that I would have my car registered from another agent and I would need a complete refund of the registration charges, to this the Sales Manager said that they cannot give me a refund as I failed to provide them with the required documents!

I'm completely frustrated with this dealer.

Can someone please confirm what documents are required to register the car in non octroi zones?
I can provide my property agreement, electricity bill and landline bill (TATA Indicom)

If I do mange to register my car, how should I claim my refund for the registration charges I've already paid to the dealer?

Does anyone know the email address' of the higher ups in Toyota?

Please help as I will have to talk to the dealer again on Monday!
Old 10th March 2012, 19:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Registration woes

As far as I know, the documents demanded by your dealer are the only ones accepted by the RTO.
In Pune, the RTO accepts an affidavit made at the local court. To make that affidavit you will require proof of residence at Dombivli, like MSEB bill, property tax receipts of several years. Check out with dealer if such an affidavit is acceptable and if yes, find out where in Dombivli such an affidavit can be made.
Old 10th March 2012, 20:53   #3
BHPian

In Trivandrum, only one document is accepted by RTO. Voters ID Card. Period!
Old 10th March 2012, 21:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you try contacting an agent outside the RTO for the same. I am sure the RTO would accept other proofs too and the agent would very easily be able to process the whole thing for you albeit for a fees. If you find out that the dealer is misleading you then you can very well complaint on toyota customer care number on there website. I have read elsewhere on the Forum that they take customer complaints very seriously. In no condition can the dealer deny you a refund. Infact since the registration is still pending you can as well go ahead and cancel the booking itself and take a refund.
Old 10th March 2012, 22:07   #5
BHPian

a landline bill, and a copy of lease agreement (registered agreement) were the documents i was requested to submit for Thane RTO when i transfered my car to my name an year ago.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
If that was not enough, when I asked them that I would have my car registered from another agent and I would need a complete refund of the registration charges, to this the Sales Manager said that they cannot give me a refund as I failed to provide them with the required documents!
As suggested, take the help of an external agent, find out what are the documents required. They may be able to get things done for some extra commission even thru the back door way.

And there is NO way a dealer can refuse your refund. It's upto you where you register the car & dealer has NO say in it. Ask them to give a written statement as to why they are NOT ready to give your refund. They give it or they don't give it, raise a complaint with Toyota customer care. That should solve the issue of refund.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am not so sure about Mumbai but in Bangalore, Chennai and Pune, a BSNL Landline bill is a valid document for address proof.

My Indica was registered in Chennai, and in Bangalore, Baleno and Civic are registered in Bangalore, Honda Dio was registered in Pune. RTO all over a state usually follow same norms hence i would be surprised if they followed something different in Mumbai alone.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:25   #8
BHPian

It could be local rules to differentiate Mumbai metro limits and nearby district, to prevent revenue leak. In Bangalore, I offered passport for address proof, but the dealer was more comfortable with BSNL bill!
Old 11th March 2012, 13:00   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@drmohitg and @swiftnfurios:
I have already spoken to an agent outside, he said he will "try" to register the car with the property agreement and phone bill. He is quite confident he will be able to do it albeit with a hefty commission.

I really don't wish to cancel my booking with the dealer at this moment as we have already paid the entire down payment, insurance (from outside) and given all cheques for the EMI. Moreover, I'm in no mood to wait another month for delivery from another dealer.

At this moment it completely depends on my agent if he can register the car or not. Is it a possibility that the dealer may not co-operate with him?

Once the car is registered I will fight with them for the refund. As of now I have nothing going to put up against them.

@mayankjha, @safesteer: I think the laws might be a little more strict in this case as many people give fictitious papers to save on octroi. It's a shame that it's still made clear and genuine people bear the brunt of the same.
Old 11th March 2012, 14:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should keep the dealer informed too in this case. Tell him you going ahead and getting the car registered yourself. Take your refund for the same and get done with them. Later you can the car registered yourself either way. If it works outside Mumbai good enough otherwise get it from Mumbai yourself. But I feel you should keep the dealer informed and if he bullies you then report to Toyota.
I am not sure but even in Delhi the Toyota dealers somehow don't allow you to get the car registered elsewhere. Ask Moderator TSK about the same. He had to finally book his Liva from Punjab if I am not wrong. In that case you might have to go ahead with the booking or cancel it altogether.
Old 11th March 2012, 15:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once the car is registered I will fight with them for the refund. As of now I have nothing going to put up against them.
I doubt that's the right way to get things done. I suggest you keep everyone on the same page about proceedings. Get the agent to talk to the dealer guys and get them agree to get things done thru the external agent and ask them for a re-fund. If they don't agree, get the company guys to interfere and sort out the issue with relevant communication.

You never know what the fine prints speak and it's always better to have the latest info and documentation before proceeding further. In today's world, it's a MUST to document your every move to be safe.

I suggest you talk to the customer care and get a hang of the registration process ASAP.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:05   #12
BHPian

This is what the website "http://www.mahatranscom.in/faq.aspx" says

FAQ:

12 Which douments I need to produce in support of age group?
Any of the following documents can be used for Age proof: 1.School leaving certificate
2.SSC certificate
3.Passport
4.Electricity bill
5.Telephone bill
6.Rent receipt

13 Which documents I need to produce in support of Address proof?
Any of the following documents can be used for Address proof: 1.Electoral roll/ voters I-card
2.Life insurance policy
3.Birth certificate
4.Passport
5.Civil sersurgeon's certificate

But if you observe closely there is a mix up. Points 4,5,6 are relevant to 13 rather than 12. Obviously Electricity bill cannot be proof of age, but definitely address proof ..
Gosh !! Who makes these websites ??

So you can show this as reference to the Toyota guys and thrash it out..

Cheers
MKPI
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 18:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now all of a sudden they are asking me for my Ration card or Election card or passport to register the car. I cannot provide them with any of the above documents as all of them have my Mumbai address on them.
They are correct in saying that these documents are now required by few RTOs(to prevent Octroi evasion in Mumbai.Thane municipal limits). Though, as per rules landline/electricity bill should have been suffecient.

However, RTO agent can sort out things for you since you have genuine utility bills for Dombivali address.

I would suggest these next steps:

1. Escalate to Toyota about refund of registration charges.
2. Once that is sorted out, involve outside RTO agent

Most probably; once matter is escalated to Toyota, dealer itself would use an outside agent to clear registration.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have booked an Etios D with Shinrai Toyota, Dr. E Moses Road, Worli. I had told them from the beginning that we would need the car to be registered at my Dombivali address (to save on octroi) and that I would be able to provide with only my phone bill and electricity bill as proof for the same.

Now all of a sudden they are asking me for my Ration card or Election card or passport to register the car. I cannot provide them with any of the above documents as all of them have my Mumbai address on them
Vandan

Do you have a permanent residence in Dombivli, if so you would then need to show the proof of the same either the agreement copy or society letter. If you dont have permanent residence and are on lease agreement, then RTO would not accept the utility bills. Some agents would promise to still get the car registered but will cost you a hefty amount and some added risk too.

When I had sold my Santro, the buyer wanted to get it transferred to Vashi RTO which refused lease agreement as proof of residence, he had pay about 5K to the agent to get the transfers done.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

When we bought Tata Indigo XL Grand Dicor in May 2007, we ourselves got the Registration Process done by going to the RTO. We told the dealer Sterling Motors, Solapur that we want a VIP No., so we will get the Regsitration done ourselves.
We paid the Road Tax as well as VIP No. charges directly at the RTO.
Ditto for our Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS bought in Nov. 2009 from Gandhi Motors, Solapur.
Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks