Team-BHP - ET - Mitsubishi may drive in small car sans Hindustan Motors
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   ET - Mitsubishi may drive in small car sans Hindustan Motors (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/117354-et-mitsubishi-may-drive-small-car-sans-hindustan-motors.html)

So looks like Mitsubishi could go solo in the next 2 - 3 years, starting with their own small car in the Volume segment. I think this would be a really good move. Mitsubishi has some really good products, but their current market share doesnt reflect this.

More details -> Mitsubishi may drive in small car sans Hindustan Motors - The Economic Times

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod332002 (Post 2712215)
So looks like Mitsubishi could go solo in the next 2 - 3 years, starting with their own small car in

The new leak seems more like testing the waters. I agree that it would be a good move. But then, 2-3 years is a long time. If they want the pie, commit now and dive head-long.:thumbs up

I think 2-3 years is a decent time frame. They wouldn't want to enter with CBUs and CKDs in a volume market - that wont make sense. So they'll need to set up a plant, ancillary units will come up... It'll take time.

Interesting to read between the lines. To quote, "We do not know if our operation with HM is good or not for the future. So we are looking at all options". Finally they realize their folly. About time they get their act together if they are serious about Indian market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod332002 (Post 2712215)
So looks like Mitsubishi could go solo in the next 2 - 3 years, starting with their own small car in the Volume segment. I think this would be a really good move. Mitsubishi has some really good products, but their current market share doesnt reflect this.

More details -> Mitsubishi may drive in small car sans Hindustan Motors - The Economic Times

agree:
Well in a price sensitive market like India (read Value for Money), it can never be too late to enter the mass market - just take your time but have the right package delivered at right price, and there would always be takers / buyers, thanks to volume growth of cars in India. The mass segment, once dominated by Maruti, now has got some serious dents from Hyundai, Ford and Chevrolet (all 3 started with mid segment and entered in mass segment much later after having properly understood the market)

If anything, getting here "too early" can be disastrous for Mitsubishi. Advantage Mitsubishi has is the image of good machines with a poor service support, if they could leverage the positives and work on the negatives.

Essentially what I mean is, if time is what they need to introduce something worthy of the wait, Mitsubishi should take it, especially after having spent much time in Indian market witnessing success of Lancer, Pajero and flops like Cedia, HM Partnership.

mitsubishi should bring in the ASX and the Colt with Diesel engines. Can'nt understand why they stick to thier big SUV.s . Why no Diesel Cedia's

ASX looks perfect for India

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/asx/

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgev (Post 2712748)
mitsubishi should bring in the ASX and the Colt with Diesel engines. Can'nt understand why they stick to thier big SUV.s . Why no Diesel Cedia's

ASX looks perfect for India

Mitsubishi ASX | Mitsubishi Motors UK

The ET article seems to suggest that the first car they plan to get here is the Mirage. Here's an article I found about it. Your eyes do not deceive, that's the 2012 Mitsubishi Mirage

The article says that it could (possibly) yield 30 kmpl, that'll give the advertising dept of Tata (if its not 25, it isnt enough) and Maruti (kitna deti hai) a massive headache.

The ASX does look yummy and plain math conversion to INR pegged the base version at about 13 lakh! I know if doesnt work like that, but boy, would it be good to have more SUVs in that segment!

Mirage looks pretty plain jane!!

Infact, from certain quarters, it has strong design cues of the Micra and the more recently launched Pulse.

The ASX is yummy.

Mitsubishi is facing problems all over the world. India can be their savior, just like Maruti Saves Suzuki.
Since HM is no Maruti, they have to dive in alone.
First and formost, get in a CKD SUV in the 15L range. Its a big vaccum there, and a 15L pajero will rock the market.
Revive the midsize segment with a 7-8L Sunny competitor. Mitsubishi has brand value in India.

During all this, a small car plant can be set up, which can even start making small 5 seater SUV(8L), and it can even be an export hub.

But doing this takes a lot of investment, which Mitsu simple does not have.

For the moment, they have to follow Honda's game added with a diesel advantage. Bringing in Colt and Mirage in petrol and diesel options at the same price range as Jazz and Brio will help.

And while some might disagree, IMHO, they need to bring in the Gallant here for brand building. It is as huge as the Accord and also has decent features. And India is one of the countries where bigger is still better and premium.

But as TSK1979 mentioned, do they have the case to burn?

I cannot believe it took Mitsubishi so long to figure this out. I guess in their years of loss they were more concerned with stemming losses rather than figuring out ways to increase sales and profits out of the few growth markets in the world.

Anyway, better late than never. They still have a good reputation with regards to their vehicles though they need to ensure their A.S.S is up to the mark.

I look forward to seeing them selling some of their range of smaller cars in India and actually doing well. Maybe they can make enough to actually reopen their Ralliart division too.

I was paid a visit by a senior technician from HM Chennai last week, problems with my car needed tending.

He told me they are expecting a few small cars for testing, so far unnamed, in April/May and might launch later if tests succeed.

One of them is the MiEV, the electric vehicle.

Mitsubishi i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There will be no other SUV or Sedan, neither will there be a Diesel mill option for the already CKD Outlander and Cedia.

So although it is good news Mitsubishi is planning away from HM, its not much they will do, knowing them, add to it another 2-3 years and you said it.

I have even started seeing the Renault small car, and I still cant memorize it's name yet.

My memory is playing truant here, but now the Outlander, Old Pajero and the Pajero Sports all sell for around the same 21-23 bracket right?

That might be a good news, going Solo could actually help them restore the brand

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2714979)
Mitsubishi is facing problems all over the world. India can be their savior, just like Maruti Saves Suzuki.

Well Suzuki is no Mitsubishi, it might not be as hot selling as Honda & Toyota but it is renowned world over as a best small car maker, so wherever there is a good market for small cars, Suzuki has good presence.

Ofourse Maruti brings them the most volumes but I don't believe its in as bad shape as Mitsubishi is. Suzuki is 9th largest car maker in world while Mitsubishi is 16th. Also Mitsubishi has decided to close its Europe production in 2012 due to financial woes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod332002 (Post 2712807)
The ET article seems to suggest that the first car they plan to get here is the Mirage. Here's an article I found about it. Your eyes do not deceive, that's the 2012 Mitsubishi Mirage

The article says that it could (possibly) yield 30 kmpl, that'll give the advertising dept of Tata (if its not 25, it isnt enough) and Maruti (kitna deti hai) a massive headache.

The ASX does look yummy and plain math conversion to INR pegged the base version at about 13 lakh! I know if doesnt work like that, but boy, would it be good to have more SUVs in that segment!

Finally Mitsubishi is joining the small car band wagon. It looks like Mirage is the most probable candidate for Indian market. Though the car looks plain (especially from the rear) it has the capabilities to become a hit in India.

Mitsubishi Mirage was developed for markets like Thailand, Japan and other markets in Asia-Pacific region. There were reports suggesting that, Mitsubishi has set up a massive plant in Thailand to produce Mirage under 'Eco-Car' program. So Mitsubishi may consider bringing the car to Indian market through CKD route. The Free Trade Agreement will help them to reap economical benefit.

But Mitsubishi has a tough task ahead, company has to set up sales and service network before bringing a small car to India. The current dealership network is very limited and it covers only major cities.

By the way it is very hard to understand both Mitsubishi and Renault's product planning strategy in Indian market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pganapathy (Post 2715609)
I cannot believe it took Mitsubishi so long to figure this out. I guess in their years of loss they were more concerned with stemming losses rather than figuring out ways to increase sales and profits out of the few growth markets in the world.

The muck up is that they still haven't figured it out.

It pains me to see fantastic cars like the Lancer not be brought into India.

Mitsubishi really needs to step away from HM and their top management needs to be replaced with people who actually know what they're doing.
They need to bring in the new Lancer, step up production at the factory and dump the hundred year old Cedia and Lancer (Which was based on the Evo6!)
Lancer + Gallant + a couple of Diesel engines from Peugeot and focus on A.S.S and establishing themselves.

But do they actually care?