Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 12:04   #16
BHPian

Guys, is there any news of a hike in road taxes this year? The salesman at Volvo Kochi recently told my friend that road taxes would increase by 1.5%. Now, I'm not sure if this is some kind of a strategy to boost their sales but it sure got me wondering if there was an impending hike.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:04   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

I was in Cochin these last few days on a holiday. On this trip I had an opportunity to test drive an S60 on that Alexander Bridge road which is closed now and to spend some time with an XC60 too, at the Dealer Workshop at Willingdon Island. The Service Engineer there told me the same thing - that the road taxes in Kerala are going up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Guys, is there any news of a hike in road taxes this year? The salesman at Volvo Kochi recently told my friend that road taxes would increase by 1.5%. Now, I'm not sure if this is some kind of a strategy to boost their sales but it sure got me wondering if there was an impending hike.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
I too have heard the same thing but thought of it as a ploy for pushing sales before financial year closure.I guess we will have to wait till March 15 when the Kerala budget is announced.

Was planning to buy the XUV sometime in June/July. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 15th March 2013, 20:57   #19
BHPian

does anyone have any update on this? I dont think there is any increase proposed.
Old 16th March 2013, 00:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

I read that there is an increase of 1% proposed in some duty and not road tax.
Old 16th March 2013, 01:07   #21
BHPian

VAT has been increased from 13.5% to 14.5%. There is no increase in road tax which stays at 6% for veh upto 5L, 8% upto 10L and 10% for vehicles costing more than 10L.
skm1967 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
VAT has been increased from 13.5% to 14.5%. There is no increase in road tax which stays at 6% for veh upto 5L, 8% upto 10L and 10% for vehicles costing more than 10L.
Hi skm1967, a question for you.
What is the impact of this increase in VAT from 13.5% to 14.5% on the OTR price of Toyota Fortuner? Is VAT collected on Cars coming from outside Kerala or is it restricted only to luxury cars which are imported from outside India. If VAT is collected on every car which comes from outside Kerala then very car's price should go up (Because no car is assembled or manufactured in Kerala).
On the dealer's website (Amana Toyota) they haven't revised the prices after 1st March. Or is it possible that this VAT will come into effect from April 1st?
Would really appreciate if somebody clarifies. Thank You.
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:04   #23
ARG
BHPian

I did not hear anything about a hike in the road-taxes, but VAT is definitely going up by 1%, come 1 April.

I'm making a part-payment next week on a new car, to record sale before Apr 1 - as per dealer advice.
Old 24th March 2013, 07:46   #24
BHPian

I had taken a quote from tvs for the xuv and the bill break up was ex showroom price, road tax and insurance. There was no mention of VAT. Not sure if its applicable to luxury cars.
Old 24th March 2013, 12:28   #25
BHPian

[quote=mroptimist;3074815]Hi skm1967, a question for you.
What is the impact of this increase in VAT from 13.5% to 14.5% on the OTR price of Toyota Fortuner? Is VAT collected on Cars coming from outside Kerala or is it restricted only to luxury cars which are imported from outside India. If VAT is collected on every car which comes from outside Kerala then very car's price should go up (Because no car is assembled or manufactured in Kerala).

Dear mroptimist,

With the increase in VAT from 13.5% to 14.5% the OTR price of Toyota Fortuner has gone up by approx Rs. 22000/-. VAT is applicable on any car sold in Kerala. The increase in VAT is applicable not only on cars but a large no. of goods.

There are various schedules in VAT Act and rates are different for different goods. Like for goods in schedules 1 and 4 in Kerala VAT act there is no VAT. There are different rates for other schedules ranging from 5 % to 14.5 %. Items such as refrigerators, airconditioners, cars etc, considered luxury items, attract 14.5% VAT in Kerala.

The revised VAT rates are probably applicable from 01 Apr 13.
skm1967 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 12:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I had taken a quote from tvs for the xuv and the bill break up was ex showroom price, road tax and insurance. There was no mention of VAT. Not sure if its applicable to luxury cars.
Dear aajohn,

The ex-showroom price includes VAT too. You may ask for the break up of ex-showroom price to get all details and find what percentage VAT has been applied. VAT is same for all cars, luxury or not, at 14.5 % in Kerala.
skm1967 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

I happen to travel to Cochin last week and found Tamilnadu-Palakkad-Trissur stretch has been totally ignored,and some areas 4 lane-ing seems to be totally abandoned. The road between Trissur and Palkkad is a shame. It took 6 hrs to reach Cochin.

Also, already 4 laned- stretch between Trissur and Cochin is not sufficient at all due to narrow stretches, lack of bridges and heavy traffic.

I thought I would ask the friends from Kerala, as I know it was started during 2007-2008 and yet to improvement. I see the road tax is being revised too. :-(
Old 29th April 2014, 13:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have a link to the current road-tax rates for bikes in Kerala ? The Kerala MVD has a website, but it is too cluttered to be able to find the info needed.

Asking because there had been hints from dealers about tax rates going up in Kerala, but no idea if it actually increased from April 2014.
Today I looked up the prices for the CBR 250R on the Honda website and found the on-road price to be around 5K more than what I had seen there a month ago.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Does anyone have a link to the current road-tax rates for bikes in Kerala ? The Kerala MVD has a website, but it is too cluttered to be able to find the info needed.
Yes. Tax rates have changed. Please see this file for more details. LTT rates are towards the end of the document.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Frankly Kerala is one state where the congress is more marxist than the Communist !!. It is an auto enthusiasts worst nightmare with that over zealuous RTO commissioner and no politician with courage to do anything in the UDF. You get fined for alloys, different color of car from what is on the book, auxilliary lights etc....
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks