Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 00:31   #46
anb
BHPian

Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

8.10 lakhs for a hatchback with 1.2 L 3 cylinder diesel engine . 1.6L CR would have made sense. Hope that these good looking projector headlamps can be fitted in Rapid and regular Fabia without any warranty issues .
Old 26th April 2012, 00:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see this at 1 lakh cheaper price point. Once burned, twice shy?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-volkswagencrosspolo_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_0b.jpg  

Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-volkswagencrosspolo_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-volkswagencrosspolo_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_07.jpg  

Old 26th April 2012, 01:04   #48
BHPian

Skoda should have offered an increased GC atleast to honour the "Scout" tag.

Wonder how many scrapes to the wraparound cladding will make Fabia Scout look like an old gen car.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 06:58   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I agree about watered down stuff being unattractive - especially when the international version of the same vehicle is so much better. Submitting that the same goes for the other manufacturers who flog their watered down junkmatics here whereas they are kept on their toes in other markets. Poor blessed Indians - I guess we just have to live with these things!
For me, this is the main shortcoming of the Scout. They should have brought it here for what it is supposed to be, rather than making people feel that it is a cosmetic upgrade / limited edition variant of the Fabia. This car (at this price), with the same engine specs as of the Rapid, would have been sure success. Even naming it as Rapid Scout would have made some difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Meanwhile grace of god I am happy with my Yeti - maybe I am in the minority here but Im quite happy to be that way. That Yeti, to me, as of this moment, is one of the best things to have happened! Cheers!
Not surprising. Because they have not done much India-specific stripping from the package, except for some niceties like panoramic sunroof, DSG etc.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

As someone else also pointed out , what is the PURPOSE of this car ? Skoda surely has to be quite bold /dumb to price it that high with what is nothing more than some plastic cladding and a nice looking paint job. It seems Skoda dint like the price cut they had to do on their fabia to make it sell so another attempt to sell it at a higher price. Skoda instead of this junk work on your A.S.S and than maybe you can demand a premium on anything you sell.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

I met a SE of St Antony's, who are the new dealer of Skoda in Cochin. He is telling so many imaginary things about the Scout, like, it is a station wagon, bigger than Fabia and when told point blank that he is totally wrong started inventing new features. Pity Skoda!
Old 26th April 2012, 13:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I agree I would be displeased if Merc gave me a junkmatics jalopy and made me pay big bucks for it. I do believe this edition of the SCOUT is similar to those "Limited Editions" because even those carried a premium for nothing but cosmetic dolling up. Remember the Esteem Limited, the Zen Carbon and the newest one the Swift Limited Edition?
Same old story there too, as the Scout - overall that is.

Dont get me wrong I am not excusing Skoda - Im simply saying what's sauce for the goose ought to be sauce for the Gander too!
I don't know about others but I have equally cursed and hated other brands for similar atrocities:

- Honda when they came up with their Civic Sport: A body kit for a low slung softly sprung family car which made the matters worse for families going into and out of the basement parking of their favourite mall and worse when they couldn't out run the NORMAL civic on the open road.

- BMW 3 Series Performance Edition: No change in the tune level except for the M3 body kit (I think?!)

I think Indian automotive landscape is full of such examples.....
Old 26th April 2012, 13:47   #53
vij
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 16:23.
vij is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2012, 15:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

First off , i agree with everyone who says that this car should have come along with better engine options - 1.6 would have been a very apt fit

I like the way the car looks , atleast in the images and am tempted enough to go to a dealership and take a look.

Additionally there are some things which the top end Fabia elegance has but appear to be missing from the scout - for example the Multi function display - on the specs page in the Skoda india page this is not reported as a feature with the scout - attaching picture for everyone's reference. I would have expected the Scout to be at par with the Elegance and then some - which does not appear to be the case
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-picture1.jpg  

Last edited by puchoo : 26th April 2012 at 15:17.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 15:21   #55
vij
BHPian

The car tipped over 4m with those claddings. It is bound to cost more.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:32   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
BTW are the goodies and gadgets inside comparable to i20 s?
No way. Hyundai are known for their VFM in creature comforts. In any case VW (i.e. Skoda) will rip you off in maintenance / spares for as long as you own the car.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 21:33   #57
BHPian

Hang on a second, people! The Scout website as well as the pdf Press Release doesn't mention ABS? Typo, or has Skoda deleted ABS also?

Is it true? Website goof up? Or time for me to get reading glasses?

Still no power door mirrors, at Rs. 86005 premium over Elegance Diesel in my place!
Old 27th April 2012, 09:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

You are absolutely right , i completely missed that the first time i went to the site , checked again after your post and there is no mention of ABS

This is becoming stranger - no ABS , no multi function display etc and a higher price ; appears to be a real goof up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Hang on a second, people! The Scout website as well as the pdf Press Release doesn't mention ABS? Typo, or has Skoda deleted ABS also?

Is it true? Website goof up? Or time for me to get reading glasses?

Still no power door mirrors, at Rs. 86005 premium over Elegance Diesel in my place!
Old 27th April 2012, 11:55   #59
BHPian

When I read the first post from GTO, i thought, at that price, maybe you get the lady with the car (refer to picture 1).. I know,

On a serious note, as others mentioned, just can't digest the pricing for the scout. I have a Fabia 1.2L bought about 10 months ago for 5.8L OTR in Bangalore. I can get all that extra accesories as seen on the scout on my Fabia for an additional 40-50K and my Fabia will look better than the Scout. Maybe this is a strategy of Skoda to move potential Fabia buyers to consider Rapid, which suddenly feels VFM with this pricing. I am sure Skoda knows that customers will NOT pay 8.1 lakhs for a 1.2L 3 pot engine.

Having said the above, I can vouch for the quality of Skoda on function, interiors and exterirors, which is a notch higher even compared to the next segment cars. There is no doubt that it is a premium hatchback.

Off-topic: I just compelted 10000 Kms and will soon post an ownership report.

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 27th April 2012 at 11:57. Reason: Correcting Skoda to Fabia
Old 27th April 2012, 12:03   #60
BHPian

Looks like a Skoda strategy to expel the Fabia from people's minds. 8L+ for a 3 cyl hatch is ridiculous. This along with the Polo TDI HL should make a pretty sight only in the showrooms. They won't leave the dealer's yards ever.

Like others have said, this new pricing makes the i-gen i20 and Swift ZDi look reasonably priced even though they are not. The Rapid will now be the most preferred Skoda.

Several "premium" car makers are erring when they follow the top-down approach while entering the Indian market. The Honda with Jazz initially, Skoda with Fabia initially and now and VW to some extent with the Polo (the diesel in particular).

Last edited by fuel_addict : 27th April 2012 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks