Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 00:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Fiat Caffe & Fiat Punto Sport Launched in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
FIAT should rather do some soul-searching. They sould identify their strong points and target those customers who are willing to buy FIATs. Remember what happened to Yamaha? After trying to play the volume game (catch up with Hero Honda) with Cruxes and Liberos and Enticers, they finally got back to what they do best: Making performance bikes for the young crowd.
I couldn't agree with you more, esp. about what Yamaha did. Unfortunately for Fiat, and unlike a bike, buying a car brings more people to the decision making. And we know that not all who are involved know about cars or drive the car. They have totally different perception and priorities. Otherwise, how else can we explain the thousands of Dzire that sell every month?
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 01:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
FIAT is going in the right direction IMO.

* People wanted a high performance petrol engine

Regarding the Punto "sports", the less said the better...
only thing is that they are doing all these after being in Indian car scene for more than 20 years

Not that I am saying they are not doing the right thing now only thing is that they have been following the trend rather being the leader of the pack, while having all the potential.

Let's hope now they can improve on that.
Old 20th May 2012, 08:16   #18
BHPian

^^ well said and I echo your thoughts completely. Somehow everybody goes into a critical roll when FIAT launches and does something out of ordinary.
FIAT caffe is a novel idea atleast it is diffrent from giving the usual full page ads in the newspaper. It gives people a chance to look at FIAT products without interferance from Tata products. Whether this idea works or does not that time will tell but ateast we see FIAT making some sincere efforts.
I think a responsible forum like us should visit FIAT. Caffe and unobjectively give our feedbacks.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. I have written elsewhere, but would like to repeat. People here in TBHP complain about how under-powered the FIATs are, how bad the plastic quality is, how cramped the interiors are, at the end of the day buy Swift Dzires.

FIAT is trying to target the wrong crowd. The average joe wants cheap, fuel efficient cars. An average Joe would rather play safe and buy a Maruti than a FIAT. The general Indian public loves mediocrity, and no manufacturers can beat Maruti in that.

FIAT should rather do some soul-searching. They sould identify their strong points and target those customers who are willing to buy FIATs. Remember what happened to Yamaha? After trying to play the volume game (catch up with Hero Honda) with Cruxes and Liberos and Enticers, they finally got back to what they do best: Making performance bikes for the young crowd.
Very well said.. FIAT cannot get into the mass production segment because Maruti, Hyundai and TATA are giants who cannot be budged. They should bring out and target people who are passionate about their cars.

And they should do something to improve their image among Indians because until i drove the Punto 2 years ago i didn't even know how good FIAT cars are. All Indians think FIATs are like those Padminis we were used to. Plus no lay man knows that their favorite Swift has a FIAT engine.

More than anything they need an image consultant. And should sell their product as Reliable and with good Sales and Service.

They are going in the right direction but there is a long way to go.
Old 20th May 2012, 23:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

After a drive in raj_5004's punto I have really fallen for the car and inevitably come back to the Fiat threads for any news or any hope about the launch of the Punto T-Jet. Fiat can replace their 1.4L NA Emotion variant with it. As it is that is not doing the numbers. Why not give the T-Jet a shot and if it clicks then it will truly be a one of a kind hatch and would catch the fantasies of every petrol head in India.

I know that I am sounding ridiculously impractical by suggesting a trial and error method but doesn't that seem better than just waiting for their sales to improve someday with the current line up of "dated"(please don't shoot me but it has been a while since the Linea and Punto have been around in the same avatar) products.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 23:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
After a drive in raj_5004's punto I have really fallen for the car and inevitably come back to the Fiat threads for any news or any hope about the launch of the Punto T-Jet. Fiat can replace their 1.4L NA Emotion variant with it. As it is that is not doing the numbers. Why not give the T-Jet a shot and if it clicks then it will truly be a one of a kind hatch and would catch the fantasies of every petrol head in India.

I know that I am sounding ridiculously impractical by suggesting a trial and error method but doesn't that seem better than just waiting for their sales to improve someday with the current line up of "dated"(please don't shoot me but it has been a while since the Linea and Punto have been around in the same avatar) products.
Actually, if you think about it, it will not be that impractical for Fiat anymore to try out a T-jet Punto.

They are already making the powertrain for the T-Jet Linea. Isn't doing too good in numbers. However, the same drivetrain in the Punto will add to the number of T-jet powertrains that Fiat will have to build, hence it will help with the efficiency of having to produce a higher number of it.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Would any kind BHPian post the prices of the Fiat Merchandise thats available at the caffee?
Old 21st May 2012, 10:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Would any kind BHPian post the prices of the Fiat Merchandise thats available at the caffee?
Few of the prices are present on the Fiat India's official website itself (on the front page under Fiat Accessories) and few are on Team Fiat India's website.
Though I would also like to have them at single place on T-Bhp.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Actually, if you think about it, it will not be that impractical for Fiat anymore to try out a T-jet Punto.

They are already making the powertrain for the T-Jet Linea. Isn't doing too good in numbers. However, the same drivetrain in the Punto will add to the number of T-jet powertrains that Fiat will have to build, hence it will help with the efficiency of having to produce a higher number of it.
They are not making the T-Jet engines in India. They were being imported for the Linea T-Jet. Doing the same for the Punto will again push the price over the diesel variants, and we will see the same demise the Linea T-Jet is seeing.

If anything, Fiat should have used this Punto Sports opportunity to launch a real Punto Sports. Just a gearbox change will do wonders for this car. That one change alone will actually make it the most powerful diesel hatch..!
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 11:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Remember what happened to Yamaha? After trying to play the volume game (catch up with Hero Honda) with Cruxes and Liberos and Enticers, they finally got back to what they do best: Making performance bikes for the young crowd.
Absolutely. Yamaha India is the best case study for FIAT today. They should stop going for volumes and target niche customers. Brand building and brand transformation is the most important thing they can do after decoupling from TATA. Initial steps point at the right direction.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:00   #26
BHPian

KP, Pune just got nicer! Wow!
Please someone post the accessory price list, really eager to know. Recently got a Fiat keyring (Cube) from London, i'm assuming heavy loss

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2012 at 13:17. Reason: As requested
Old 21st May 2012, 15:13   #27
BHPian

Good move by FIAT as long as they plan to extend this to the other cities, atleast the metros. Cannot fathom why Pune was chosen for this exclusive Caffe location. An upmarket locality like Koregaon Park of all places.

I am happy to see FIAT breaking away from Tata. They never got credit for their products due to the Tata linkage. Hopefully, few years down the road, FIAT can claim some chunk of the market. A Punto T-jet in future would do it nicely for the FIAT enthusiasts.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 21st May 2012 at 15:15.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good intiative! Maybe we can plan our next tapri meet there? tapri meet at a caffe
if not, I do see myself making a trip there for a TD.
good riddance to Pandit Auto!

by the by, Fiat should focus on getting their supply chain in order. the worst thing for an existing owner is to keep a car out of use in the garage. And Fiat parts have been notoriously unobtainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Good move by FIAT as long as they plan to extend this to the other cities, atleast the metros. Cannot fathom why Pune was chosen for this exclusive Caffe location. An upmarket locality like Koregaon Park of all places.
The Fiat factory is located nearby. As for upscale locale, its pretty much the place in town to be.
I dont see why people from elsewhere in Pune would go to say Baner, Kothrud or Kharadi. location in pune seems to be bang on.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:41   #29
BHPian

The Caffe looks nice. Will go there for an espresso sometime.

I have no idea about how much investment Fiat would have to make to introduce a Punto T-Jet to the market. Yes, it definitely won't sell in high numbers, but how about keeping the Punto T-Jet as a 'made to order' option? Take an order and then assemble the car and deliver to the customer in say, a month or two. I'm sure enthusiasts (who will be the only ones to buy it) will wait that long. That way, Fiat won't have to worry too much about unsold Punto T-Jets lying in their inventory.

Again, I have no idea on the costs involved in homologating a new model and make it available as an option, but a T-Jet motor would make for a true Punto Sport.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

OT - What's the price of the bag (Bag pack) at Fiat Caffe? I am going to be buying most of the items of the caffe (except the cycle!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks