Team-BHP - Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe' (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/121296-mahindra-offer-verito-based-hatchback-called-vibe.html)

Note from Support - Here's our Launch Report for the Vibe, please continue the discussion here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-49-lakhs.html

Source: The Telegraph

Quote:

Mahindra & Mahindra is planning to drive in the hatchback version of the Verito in September.
The $14.4-billion company is looking to sell 3,000 units per month of the Verito hatch. It is also slated to launch the mini-Xylo this fiscal, said Arun Malhotra, senior vice-president, sales and customer care.
Mahindra clearly eyeing the 5 lakh territory in the Indian market after the success of the XUV500. The lineup includes; Mini Xylo, Refreshed Verito, and the Verito Hatch.

Wouldn't it be a very functional but very ugly hatch that is so hard to maintain? :) A friend who owns a Verito in its Logan avatar says that the car checks all the boxes of functionality you would need in a sedan. But on the flip side, it looks from ice age and god forbid if it goes to the service center, they keep it there for far too long.

I feel the hatchback would be more a Verito CS like the Indigo and Dzire. Mahindra would try to play the VFM Card here too.

If tata can deliver the CS at a certain price, Mahindra will too deliver the CS, in a better quality. There were some primitive news & discussions about a chopped-boot logan / verito.

Is it something like verito without a boot?
Is Mahindra entitled to make such changes on a Renault car?

Was just discussing with @Flyingspur on Sunday that we should buy a Logan (always disliked the design) throw the body and get a good design done on the very capable chassis that it has.
Anyone game to discuss this further? I have a few designs in mind. Would be a nice personalised car, with parts and service easily available.

Instead of making it CS, they should bring the hatch to truly make it into the 5 lakh catogory. What is the point of introducing a bare bones version for under 5 lakhs & push up the prices further for higher variants.

A big thumbs down!!

If they price it well, it will sell. An affordable diesel hatch is a hot property these days, irrespective of the appearance. The Verito continues to sell, doesn't it? In spite of everyone hating the design.

I could not find any renderings for this, so searched for a Verito pic and chopped off the boot. I sincerely hope M&M do better than this. :)
Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-185.jpg

EDIT:
One thing that caught my attention in the report was this -
Quote:

He, however, ruled out Mahindra’s entry into the sub-compact segment. “We are known to be commercial vehicles and SUV-makers. We do not have the expertise or the technology for sub-compact vehicles,” he added.

So, will they position the mini Xylo as a compact SUV or a hatch?

Oh goodness! I really hope it won't be a Verito without a boot.

The common perception about Verito is it's severe drawback in the looks dept.; the very capable interior space and good engine gone down the drain because the exterior simply fails to attract people.

If they can make the hatch appealing, probably people will give a second thought.

But IMO, they need to lay to rest the Verito concept. Build afresh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbokick (Post 2792667)
Is it something like verito without a boot?
Is Mahindra entitled to make such changes on a Renault car?

When Renault moved out of the association, Mahindra was able to retain rights to the Logan car as well as variations of it. However any changes have to be done in-house without getting any assistance from Renault.

Hence the Logan based hatch, the Dacia Sandero, as attached in the post below is ruled out. The Mahindra developed hatch may draw inspiration from it but will look different, due to extensive retention of the body panels, that Mahindra might resort to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 2792793)
Instead of making it CS, they should bring the hatch to truly make it into the 5 lakh catogory. What is the point of introducing a bare bones version for under 5 lakhs & push up the prices further for higher variants.

A big thumbs down!!

It is possible that Mahindra may do the same as what Maruti did with Dzire.

Launch a compact version of Verito and do away with the existing Verito sedan or retain the existing Verito to be sold only to the Taxi segment.

I have also heard of a rumour that Tata is planning to launch a compact version of the existing Manza and possibly stop manufacturing the existing Manza. But this is only a rumour and no concrete news about it.

Will have to adopt a wait & watch policy to see what Mahindra is upto.

Mahindra can do what Ford did by plonking new body panels onto it earlier gen Fiesta platform to come up will an all new robust hatch now popularly know as the Figo.

It has all the underpinnings of a tried and tested car with a great diesel and budget tag now in a new avataar for a new segment.

Even if they retain the same body panels for the sides, they could do some major cosmetic surgery for the fornt and the rear to make it a little more distinct.

Afterall we are in the land of the Micras / Pulse and Vento / Rapid with just some changes in the grille and light assemblies. Now Mahindra can do better than that!

If well done would definitely give some other big hatches sleepless nights like the Vistas / Livas and especially the Figo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 2792845)

Thanks for the rendering.

Now, what i think about the Verito hatchback ??
-While chopping of the Verito sedan by extra 25cm, they are left with negligible or No truncated boot which can be called as Sedan & rather than making it sedan forcibly like New DZire, they left it as such & redesigned its Boot to make it hatchback like with properly opening bootlid, while retaining all the technical & mechanical bits.
A re-skinned bodywork & revamped Interiors will ensure Fresh, New looks for the car & Mahindra are masters of such kind of Cosmetic jobs.
while 1.2 Petrol engine can be shared with Mini-Xylo too, to avail the excise benefits.

Expected Price: Base Logan/Verito 1.4 Petrol & 1.5 Diesel retails at ~Rs.4.76 lacs & 5.76 lacs respectively, subtract the 12% extra excise duty savings, it comes out to be ~Rs.4.34 lacs & Rs.5.28 lacs respectively.

Result: Wow !!
What a Spacious, Wide bodied hatchback is build with Reliable Mechanicals & Super-efficient Diesel engine at a Introductory price range of 4.34 lacs(1.2 Petrol) & 5.28 lacs(1.5 dCi Diesel).

This notchback (think that's the right word for it) reminds one of the Accent Viva and going by its looks it has all the makings of an epic disaster.

As far as i understand, Mahindra must have bought the Logan along with its design and hence should be very much Entitled for making design changes, Make a Hatch or stations wagon or even SUV out of it. Not just this, I am sure they have technology access to that 1.5 diesel engine, which they sure should be thinking of plonking in their sub-4M XYLO.

M&M would not have invested so heavily in Advertisement and a new name "Verito" had they not got all these goodies with the car :)

I would not be surprised at all if this is just a start of new Generation of veritos which Gets launched with a "All New Verito" Notch and "New Verito Hatch" tags. Mahindras are expert in designing good looking vehicles at minimal of cost in no time. Expect them to crack-open and then conquer even passenger car market.

Latest update in economic times today
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/19485329.cms

Extracts:
1. Mahindra & Mahindra will launch a hatchback on the Verito platform next month (May 2013).
2. The new car, the Vibe, will be priced competitively with the diesel version at around `6 lakh.
3. The Verito Vibe will sport the same 1.5-litre Renault diesel engine that powers Verito and will be less than four metres in length to attract lower excise duty of 12%